Upgrading Genesis II's

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is my first post in this forum. I enjoy reading this tread very much.

I own a pair Genesis V which I like very much. I am offered a pair of Genesis II, and I will probably buy them.
Since I have to get them upstairs I am wondering if anyone knows the weight of the bass towers ?
If anybody have comments on the sound V versus II that would be fine.

Excuse my far from perfect english. I live in northern Europe and english is not my first language.

Welcome HiFiml!

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
I now have my Genesis II speakers though have not set them up yet. I've also inspected the power caps in the amplifier and several are questionable with slightly bubbled top meaning they all need to be replaced. I've tried locating a repair shop in the Raleigh NC area and had nothing but disappointment when speaking with them so have not given them the amp. While I can replace the caps myself I need help in finding the correct replacement caps. As stated in this forum, they are 10000uf at 80V with the cans being 35mm wide by 50mm tall. The only other identifying marker on the caps is LQ(M). Also stated in this forum is they are Nichicon and look to Digikey or Mouser to source them. The closest thing to this rating and size is LKS1K103MESC which is out-of-stock at both sources. So the question is what is the exact part needed to replace these caps and who has them? I've done plenty of soldering, unsoldering but do not have the knowledge to select the correct replacement cap for this amp; and obviously I don't want to mess this up. I would prefer to have a better qualified technician do this but am not having much success with that so here's to hoping someone can identify the correct replacement cap and a place that has them in stock. Thanks.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
I now have my Genesis II speakers though have not set them up yet. I've also inspected the power caps in the amplifier and several are questionable with slightly bubbled top meaning they all need to be replaced. I've tried locating a repair shop in the Raleigh NC area and had nothing but disappointment when speaking with them so have not given them the amp. While I can replace the caps myself I need help in finding the correct replacement caps. As stated in this forum, they are 10000uf at 80V with the cans being 35mm wide by 50mm tall. The only other identifying marker on the caps is LQ(M). Also stated in this forum is they are Nichicon and look to Digikey or Mouser to source them. The closest thing to this rating and size is LKS1K103MESC which is out-of-stock at both sources. So the question is what is the exact part needed to replace these caps and who has them? I've done plenty of soldering, unsoldering but do not have the knowledge to select the correct replacement cap for this amp; and obviously I don't want to mess this up. I would prefer to have a better qualified technician do this but am not having much success with that so here's to hoping someone can identify the correct replacement cap and a place that has them in stock. Thanks.
Give me a day or so and I can look up the parts I used. Can you supply any pictures of your amp to view the bulging?

MAK

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
I'll get the pictures; its very slight and more of a 'touch' difference. The top of three caps are very slightly raised and firm to the touch (three closest to the amp front); the others are flat and the top cover has some give. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but the warnings have been given on the need to replace these so better safe than sorry.

Hifiml

Apr 25, 2021
Yes I think I have read this tread 5 times now :)
I also have with me my experience with my pair of Genesis V. They have worked perfect more than five years now after I had the amp recapped. I also replaced all the connectors on the servo-cable and on the amp. Next step will be to DIY new servo-cables.

Hifiml

Apr 25, 2021
I still hope than somebody would help me with the weight of the basstowers of the Genesis II.
I do not need it exactly though.

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
I just received my Gen IIs and can only say they are heavy requiring at least two people to move them on a flat floor; I do not know the weight and have no way to weight them. I've moved Gen 200 towers up a flight of stairs with only one other person (two total) but would not recommend it. Have at least three with two on the bottom and one on the top. If the staircase is wide enough then have four with two on the bottom and two on the top. The round corners on the towers also make them a bit more difficult to hold onto.

Hifiml

Apr 25, 2021
I just received my Gen IIs and can only say they are heavy requiring at least two people to move them on a flat floor; I do not know the weight and have no way to weight them. I've moved Gen 200 towers up a flight of stairs with only one other person (two total) but would not recommend it. Have at least three with two on the bottom and one on the top. If the staircase is wide enough then have four with two on the bottom and two on the top. The round corners on the towers also make them a bit more difficult to hold onto.
Thank you. I guess we need 4 persons to get them upstairs. The problem of course is to find space for two in each end. Better find some strong and slim friends :)

Hifiml

Apr 25, 2021
Let us know how they sound in your room once you fire them up.cheers
That might take a while. Its a 15 hour drive each way to get them, and due to covid restrictions we will wait a while. I really hope the seller does not decide to keep them. It may take many years before the next pair is for sale in driving distance from were I live.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Hifiml

Apr 25, 2021
I found the caps that was replaced in the amp for my Genesis V. Probably the same is used in the Genesis II.
They are 10000uF / 80volt. The size is 35 x 80mm. They are snap-in 10mm type.
Modern caps are smaller and within the same size you can find caps with 15000uF or 17000uF capacity. I guess a bigger powerbank is better, but hope than someone with better technical skills than me can confirm this. @garylkoh

I did a search on the net and found lots of caps in Europe and USA, and of course from China. I am not sure if a will rely on a Chinese supplier the next time I need caps.

Attached you will find two pictures of the old caps from my Genesis V and a part of a spreadsheet I found in the bottom of this Ebay-add.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2021-04-29 kl. 19.45.01.png
    Skjermbilde 2021-04-29 kl. 19.45.01.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 142800AC-1E59-4077-BB9C-DF67808520BD_1_105_c.jpeg
    142800AC-1E59-4077-BB9C-DF67808520BD_1_105_c.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ECA9CCC0-9EC0-4579-8AC7-369AA97A0BEA_1_105_c.jpeg
    ECA9CCC0-9EC0-4579-8AC7-369AA97A0BEA_1_105_c.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 7

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
The Gen II bass amp caps are smaller being 35mm x 50mm but rated at 10000uf at 80V. I've found some with those ratings and size but no one has stock. I would still like to get an exact model number as I don't want to be guessing here. And a supplier that has stock or will have soon.

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
I agree but am having no luck finding the specific model/part number nor anyone who has stock.

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
If I'm reading Nichicon's literature correctly, the LQ was replaced by the LS series and the cap at 1000uf, 80v, 35mm wide and 50mm tall is LLS1K103MELC at $8.13 each and in stock at mouser.com. Previous posts in this forum indicated a much higher price, about $20 a cap, so not sure what to make of this.

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
Again concerning replacing the power caps in the Gen II bass amp, the closest I've found to specs is the LLS1K103MELC:

Priced at $8.13 ($65.04 for all 8) which seems low when reviewing an earlier post by racerxnet quoting under $260 for 8 caps.
10K, 80V 35mm diameter, 50mm height where the the LS replaces the original LQ version now in the amp.

Any confirmation or redirection to the correct cap?

Speakers are now playing and sounding quite good but will take quite some time to become acquainted with and properly setup. I am using the new bass speaker cables, servo-bass interconnect and new woofer cones.

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
Finally replaced the caps in the Genesis II amps using Nichicon LLS1K103MELC. Gary had recommended the audio grade version LKS1K103MESC but they are unavailable. I had purchased 8 LLS1K103MELC a month ago just in case I could not get LKS1K103MESC. A friend just upgraded his amp with the LLS1K103MELC so I proceeded with the upgrade. It took about 45 minutes start to finish with most of the time labeling wires and taking and printing pictures. Actual swap time was about 15 minutes.
And there was an added benefit with the new caps: the bass is much tighter with greatly reduced overhang. As a result not only is bass much improved but the midrange and top are much clearer (similar effect to putting bass traps in corners). Almost like a new speaker.
Total cost around $72.00, well worth the peace of mind and improved sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing