Upgradeable is the question?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Linn TT has garnered a world wide following, due to among other things, the ability of the user to consistently upgrade to the latest spec. IMHO, this is a major benefit to owning this piece of gear ( Plus, one which Linn themselves have touted since the beginning) . However, if we look at most other manufacturer's ( possibly all other),the ability to upgrade their gear is limited at best as the piece ages through time. As I am in the process of upgrading my Linn after owning it for 20+ years, I am very pleased that this route is available to me ( even though it is far from inexpensive). Since most other gear that has been around for years is not upgradeable, I ask how important to the a'phile is this aspect??

The Linn TT has garnered a world wide following, due to among other things, the ability of the user to consistently upgrade to the latest spec. IMHO, this is a major benefit to owning this piece of gear. However, if we look at most other manufacturer's ( possibly all other),the ability to upgrade their gear is limited at best as the piece ages through time. As I am in the process of upgrading my Linn after owning it for 20+ years, I am very pleased that this route is available to me ( even though it is far from inexpensive). Since most other gear that has been around for years is not upgradeable, I ask how important to the average a'phile is this aspect??

I have a Linn,purchased in the late 1980's iirc. I have kept it and glad too. I plan to have it back up and running soon. I buy nothing that I feel can't be upgraded. With the high cost of SOTA gear,I think gear like the LP12 has tremendous value,like most of the equipment that makes up my system. Everything except my solid state amps has been upgraded and the cost of upgrading is dirt cheap compared to present gear,even if you can buy the same quality. YMMV

Probably the best piece of equipment I have is the Playback Designs MPS-5. Upgradable via USB. Can't beat that! I know my Horus is upgradable as well. That's a no-brainer for digital equipment since most become obsolete in a year!

Roger, what I particularly like about the Linn TT is the fact that the company is constantly striving to improve the table, but at the same time has made the improvements retro-fittable in stages. As an example of this, today one can buy a stripped down version, however when and if funds allow, upgrade in stages to the the top spec version. I think this is very clever marketing, as it is also a win/win for both the manufacturer and the consumer. Not sure why more high-end companies do NOT follow this example:confused::confused:

Probably the best piece of equipment I have is the Playback Designs MPS-5. Upgradable via USB. Can't beat that! I know my Horus is upgradable as well. That's a no-brainer for digital equipment since most become obsolete in a year!
Bruce, i think that's a big plus with the Playback designs. IMHO, with digital equipment it is almost a requirement. Only question is how long will that be supported? In Linn's case, they have done this since the beginning....which i give them BIG kudos for. Do you think that any digital equipment manufacturer would or could do the same as Linn through the years? ( Yes, i know it is FAR more difficult with digital gear than analog, but still....)

Roger, what I particularly like about the Linn TT is the fact that the company is constantly striving to improve the table, but at the same time has made the improvements retro-fittable in stages. As an example of this, today one can buy a stripped down version, however when and if funds allow, upgrade in stages to the the top spec version. I think this is very clever marketing, as it is also a win/win for both the manufacturer and the consumer. Not sure why more high-end companies do NOT follow this example:confused::confused:

Davey.....I agree,as like I said I hope to have the table finished soon.....I think it's time to get serious about vinyl....god help me. I really like the Audio Note phono preamp kit and being in kit form is highly upgrade able...see there is a pattern here...yahoo!

Roger, what are your plans for your TT? There are several options available....thoughts.

I have read about different options a while ago,right now I am focused on my RTR's but I will revisit the Linn upgrades and post my thoughts here.

Things like being able to upgrade are good things in my view as it doesn't require the replacement of an entire TT to bring it to the next level. However, you can do likewise with "non-upgradeable" tables, although not always direct from the manufacturer, and perhaps not to the same degree. Rega is another brand that offers many upgrades, so Linn is certainly not alone.

What I personally would like to see is more manufacturers offering good trade-in policies for gear. I don't mean for 10-year old gear, but certainly within a 2-year period.

What I personally would like to see is more manufacturers offering good trade-in policies for gear. I don't mean for 10-year old gear, but certainly within a 2-year period.

John, I agree with you. Some of the cartridge manufacturer's have done this, but almost no speaker or electronics manufacturer that I am aware of does. My cartridge maker, Benz, was famous for this
...one of the reason's that I bought the cartridge in the first place, however, I'm not sure how much that helped them. ( they seem to have closed up shop now:( )

VPI has been doing this for years.

John, I agree with you. Some of the cartridge manufacturer's have done this, but almost no speaker or electronics manufacturer that I am aware of does. My cartridge maker, Benz, was famous for this
...one of the reason's that I bought the cartridge in the first place, however, I'm not sure how much that helped them. ( they seem to have closed up shop now:( )

And Linn, SOTA, among tables. Also cj and ARC (LAMM?) certainly update their products and others unofficially. And not sure about all but some of the changes to the Watt/Puppy were retrofittable eg. the 5 to 5.1.

And Linn, SOTA, among tables. Also cj and ARC (LAMM?) certainly update their products and others unofficially. And not sure about all but some of the changes to the Watt/Puppy were retrofittable eg. the 5 to 5.1.

It's a small percentage though....

It's a small percentage though....

I think then one has to look at how extensive the update is plus whether one might be better off cost wise just selling and just buying the new model.

i often i find it cheaper to sell the existing piece for the current one. in Davey's example, if you wanted to upgrade a '70s vintage LP12 to the latest spec all you're left with is the original outer platter and wood surround in which case you are better off buying an all-new LP12. to VPIs credit they'll take your early JMW arm in on trade for the most current arm for a very reasonable sum, all things considered - thats great customer service and smart business.

OTOH, i was considerinig a used pr of vandersteen 5As and wanted to upgrade them to "carbon" and they wouldnt do it, the upgrade only extends to the orginal owner :(

OTOH, i was considerinig a used pr of vandersteen 5As and wanted to upgrade them to "carbon" and they wouldnt do it, the upgrade only extends to the orginal owner :(

That's BS.

I bought a 1986 Linn a few years ago since the purchase I added a Cirkus and replaced the Basik arm w/an Ittok. Also had the motor replaced and the Valhalla refreshed. Down the road I'll be looking at a Lingo. It's great that you can take an old TT and keep improving on it. It also keeps it's value.

I bought a 1986 Linn a few years ago since the purchase I added a Cirkus and replaced the Basik arm w/an Ittok. Also had the motor replaced and the Valhalla refreshed. Down the road I'll be looking at a Lingo. It's great that you can take an old TT and keep improving on it. It also keeps it's value.

Agreed. I also agree that there won't be much of my original TT left after all the mods...the plinth and the top plate is about all. ( I replaced the outer platter a few years back).
Bruce, a few people on this forum...;);) TOTALLY agree with you about the Alex 2's to XLF upgrade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing