UPDATE ON RRV ie RIGHT ROOM VOLUME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I'm not terribly interested in this topic, but there are some misunderstandings that could use cleaning up in the banter. The following is how I see this topic and debate, obviously all ''imho':

1) 'rrv', per the OP, does not rely on any constancy between various songs average or peak recorded levels. This means a target spl figure at the listening seat is not a part of the OP topic. There will always be range. Listing tracks is then irrelevant, because the premise is the rrv works for all music, hence 'all typical spl ranges found therein'.

2) 'rrv', as an acronym, includes the word room, so it could be surmised that room interaction is a part of the OP topic, albeit within a range that one finds in the large catalog of recorded music. This' right room volume' ( average or extreme ) will vary between recordings by something like 5 to 20 db ( as a rough example ) depending on how diverse ones recordings are, but without the additional variance of variable attenuation at the preamp.

3) 'rrv' requires using a fixed level of attenuation at the preamp. Some people find their preamp ( and system as a whole ) sound best at a certain setting, or small range of, attenuation settings. The OP has not, to my awareness, included this gain &/or attenuation discovery, for the gears optimization, in the description of 'rrv' benefit, but it is a common practice.
These two topics ( 'rrv' and optimum system gain ) may indeed be interrelated but this has not been made clear by the OP ).

4) 'rrv' is not the same as 'studio monitor calibration' ( k- sys ) because the goals are different.

Hope these points help the productive debate.

Off to enjoy tue weekend ;)

Reactions: Cableman

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Is this RRV concept only for hifi reproduction in a room, or does it apply to all live music performed in a particular concert-hall or room venue too?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'm not terribly interested in this topic, but there are some misunderstandings that could use cleaning up in the banter. The following is how I see this topic and debate, obviously all ''imho':

1) 'rrv', per the OP, does not rely on any constancy between various songs average or peak recorded levels. This means a target spl figure at the listening seat is not a part of the OP topic. There will always be range. Listing tracks is then irrelevant, because the premise is the rrv works for all music, hence 'all typical spl ranges found therein'.

2) 'rrv', as an acronym, includes the word room, so it could be surmised that room interaction is a part of the OP topic, albeit within a range that one finds in the large catalog of recorded music. This' right room volume' ( average or extreme ) will vary between recordings by something like 5 to 20 db ( as a rough example ) depending on how diverse ones recordings are, but without the additional variance of variable attenuation at the preamp.

3) 'rrv' requires using a fixed level of attenuation at the preamp. Some people find their preamp ( and system as a whole ) sound best at a certain setting, or small range of, attenuation settings. The OP has not, to my awareness, included this gain &/or attenuation discovery, for the gears optimization, in the description of 'rrv' benefit, but it is a common practice.
These two topics ( 'rrv' and optimum system gain ) may indeed be interrelated but this has not been made clear by the OP ).

4) 'rrv' is not the same as 'studio monitor calibration' ( k- sys ) because the goals are different.

Hope these points help the productive debate.

Off to enjoy tue weekend ;)

Thank you for your thoughts. And thank you for returning this thread to its substantive topic.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Is this RRV concept only for hifi reproduction in a room, or does it apply to all live music performed in a particular concert-hall or room venue too?
I can only go by what I’ve evaluated in my listening room. It’s clear to me it’s ‘a thing’. I do wish others with supposedly open minds would stop snarking.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I swear internet trolls are either part of a giant multimedia modern art exhibition, a psychological experiment to test our gullibility, or our alien friends checking out just how much of a push over we are.
And you should know…

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I can only go by what I’ve evaluated in my listening room. It’s clear to me it’s ‘a thing’. I do wish others with supposedly open minds would stop snarking.
It’s very difficult to respond to you in any meaningful way because you have made a categorical statement with zero to back it up nor do you even have the courtesy to respond to any question that is asked of you to substantiate your claim .
im not particularly interested in this thread either unless you can talk like a gentleman rather than Zoltar the “all knowing”

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I'm sort-of neutral on the matter as proposed, which is why I asked for the expanded context of live-rooms.

If you're saying, any room has a maximum volume/sound pressure at which it sounds best, I could probably get on board that sonic train. But in the case of reproduced music in the room, some things do seem to sound better lower or higher.

I suppose that could be true of a live venue too, but you are typically powerless to change the volume, unless you own the place.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
It’s very difficult to respond to you in any meaningful way because you have made a categorical statement with zero to back it up nor do you even have the courtesy to respond to any question that is asked of you to substantiate your claim .
im not particularly interested in this thread either unless you can talk like a gentleman rather than Zoltar the “all knowing”
You asked for recordings to compare. I agreed. So please make yer mind up. Engage or get off the pot.
PS Ive been abused ad nauseam by some Luddite clowns on here so pardon me if I respond in kind. Carlos knows… .

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
...I'm sort-of neutral on the matter as proposed, which is why I asked for the expanded context of live-rooms.

If you're saying, any room has a maximum volume/sound pressure at which it sounds best, I could probably get on board that sonic train. But in the case of reproduced music in the room, some things do seem to sound better lower or higher.

I suppose that could be true of a live venue too, but you are typically powerless to change the volume, unless you own the place.
Respectfully. All music sounds spot on when RRV is set correctly. But yes I can only talk about a personal listening room situation.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@Cableman ...sorry fella. You clearly have a concept in mind that makes sense to you, but I appear to be missing that elemental component, so it doesn't click for me. I re-read your OP. I will listen to some of your sample tracks later and see if anything bubble up...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I think this only really works for Cableman on the recordings that he was involved with personally. Does not seem logical to me that it would translate to recordings he has no involvement in.

Recording levels and dynamic range of the recordings that I have vary way to much for this to be viably in my system. Especially when switching between dsd and pcm.

There is something to the room having an effect on how loud you can play before it gets distorted by room interference, and also something to how loud each performance should be played to sound like it did in the original space it was recorded in. Depends on the recording. Most music was not recorded in a natural space live, with acoustic instruments. In this case it is just personal preference. I certainly have my own preference of volume level for each recording I listen too in my own system. The volume position can vary at least 10 db depending on the recording level and dynamic range of the recording. I have not measured average db, but guess that it probably does not vary a lot. Peak db will though.

Last edited:

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
@Cableman ...sorry fella. You clearly have a concept in mind that makes sense to you, but I appear to be missing that elemental component, so it doesn't click for me. I re-read your OP. I will listen to some of your sample tracks later and see if anything bubble up...
Oh. What doesn’t click. I really thought I’d explained things.
Not withstanding the ignorant abuse from some quarters I’m genuinely trying to prove that RRV is a thing. But others don’t seem to wish to learn and I can’t help that

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I think this only really works for Cableman on the recordings that he was involved with personally. Does not seem logical to me that it would translate to recordings he has no involvement in.

Recording levels and dynamic range of the recordings that I have vary way to much for this to be viably in my system. Especially when switching between dsd and pcm.

There is something to the room having an effect on how loud you can play before it gets distorted by room interference, and also something to how loud each performance should be played to sound like it did in the original space it was recorded in. Depends on the recording. Most music was not recorded in a natural space live, with acoustic instruments. In this case it is just personal preference. I certainly have my own preference of volume level for each recording I listen too in my own system. The volume position can vary at least 10 db depending on the recording level and dynamic range of the recording. I have not measured average db, but guess that it probably does not vary a lot. Peak db will though.
Nope. Next

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Is any one really interested in this thread? People are dying to learn but it’s really your lack of communication skills that makes this thread unbearable and causes you to come across as a ……..( fill in the blank). There is nothing fruitful about this thread and one persons opinion who says he is sharing but such is not the case

anyone interested in this thread or can we put it out if its misery and close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing