Upcoming: Kronos Discovery

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have owned and used the Kronos Pro and in my opinion its the most "overrated and hyped" turntable i have owned used or heard anywhere....

I have heard the Techdas AF0 on show i have visited this room 10 times and even in show conditions it was to me clear the most natural holographic fast dynamic and magical sounding TT ever its a masterwork its the Stradivari violin of the TT s its very expensive but its deserves if you can pay.

I have never heard the AS2000 but when i take look the the design and topology i could buy whit out hearing it once it looks very promising design and i am pretty sure the sound will spectacular.

Probably the Rockport Tables and the Goldmund tables are also in the premier league i have never heard those but i can believe....

I am using the CS Port LFT1 TT whit the own linear tracking arm for the last 4 months and based on my experience whit the Kronos Pro the Cs Port LFT1 will eat new "star war design" Kronos as a cookie on side of a cup of coffee:)

The Cs Port LFT1 has a retail price of 57000 euro including the linear tracking arm (which is a competitor to any other very expensive arm on apart from this on the market) by example its so much better in every area than the Techdas AF1P whit a retail price of 185000 euro (little more than 3x CSPort LFT1 price including the linear tracking arm) and you need a very expensive high class arm for the Techdas AF1P lets say 210000 euro including a upper class arm and still the CS Port LFT1 is a killer its has 95% of all superior qualities of AF0 for 15% of its price!
I know nothing about vinyl...but I do remember listening to the mighty Rockport Arrakis (both of our 'favorite' speaker perhaps?) The owner had 4 VTL Siegfried II monos, a new Clear Audio Statement Turntable (the huge one that is 4 feet tall) and the Rockport Sirius III. And after all these years of the Rockport no longer being made (ie, being 'an older model'), I came away with the distinct impression he still owned it for a very, very good reason...it was his personal favorite.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I know nothing about vinyl...but I do remember listening to the mighty Rockport Arrakis (both of our 'favorite' speaker perhaps?) The owner had 4 VTL Siegfried II monos, a new Clear Audio Statement Turntable (the huge one that is 4 feet tall) and the Rockport Sirius III. And after all these years of the Rockport no longer being made (ie, being 'an older model'), I came away with the distinct impression he still owned it for a very, very good reason...it was his personal favorite.

I think Mik feels the same about his Rockports and yet Mike sold his. We all have different tastes. Vinyl is so interesting.

Davidny

Nov 29, 2014
At 3:00 “Redefined vinyl, better than master tape” Will need to hear it to believe that…

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, at $400-800 per 15ips tape, if the Discovery REALLY does convert LP playback to tape SQ, $150k for this rig will soon pay it's way Lol.

Reactions: Audire

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
These tables may be ok if their platters rotated at the same speed which is what is necessary for having two platters to cancel out torsional forces but they don't, at least on the sparta they don't unless a change has been implemented in the last two years. Just two many moving parts and I believe in occam's razor.

Reactions: tima and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Well, at $400-800 per 15ips tape, if the Discovery REALLY does convert LP playback to tape SQ, $150k for this rig will soon pay it's way Lol.
I was told with everything in the photo above the Kronos Discovery was 200K

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
These tables may be ok if their platters rotated at the same speed which is what is necessary for having two platters to cancel out torsional forces but they don't, at least on the sparta they don't unless a change has been implemented in the last two years. Just two many moving parts and I believe in occam's razor.

I'm not familiar with the basic Kronos technology. Could you kindly explain the purpose of two counter-rotating platters?

How do the two platters relate or orient to each other? If, hypothetically, the counter-rotating platters are at the same speed, what is the effect?

The Kronos Web site only offers this: "It is a means by which the vibration inducing torque force, present in suspended turntables is eliminated. The result of this design is a suspended platform particularly well isolated from environmental and mechanical noise while maintaining unequalled stability."

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
there was constant motor noise associated with sparta and pro models which is disturbing in a silent room. I hope it is finally eliminated with this new model. I'm not buying "cancelling out torsional forces" stuff using two platters turning opposite direction. yes when you stop lower platter you hear differences but I wonder if it's because of cancelling torsional forces or simply because of stopping additional motor and platter. I wonder what if we turn both platters on the same direction? would it be the worst due to doubling torsional forces?

an audiophile friend switched from Kronos pro to AF3 premium recently. now all instruments sound cleaner, clearer and more tangible. sound has more body, weight and better dynamics. also wow&flutter measurements I made are better on AF3 premium.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Audire

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing