two pairs of maggies??

pootler

Apr 25, 2020
HI,

I have acquired TWO pairs of MG 1.4 speakers :)

They are in very good condition.

So.... if I wire them in series , would I get a more amp friendly 8 Ohm ( nominal - I know impedance changes) either side?

Thanks

pootler

Reactions: ack

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
Yes, nominal impedance in series connection will double.
However maggies typically are an "easy" 4 ohms, meaning mostly resistive load so many amplifiers will be able to drive them without a problem. Sensitivity is quite low (~8x dB/W) so better have some power headroom in amplifier.
Biggest issue in your planned configuration is how to place two speakers /channel. Only valid way would be to make extra high line source by placing one on top of another, IMHO.
Yet again, YMMV.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
See attached file!

You will need one stereo amp that drives 2 ohms, or two stereo amps that drive 4 ohms.

I heard a double pair of MGIIIa's at a store in Chicago in the 80's, and they were AWESOME!

I really do not know why a double pair never was popular?

Attachments

• double pair Magnepan.jpg
    double pair Magnepan.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing