Tube or Solid State Pre Amp - which did you choose

Tube or Solid State Pre Amp

• Total voters

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not true. The SP-9 has two tubes, one in the phono section and one in the line section. It is a hybrid though. Maybe you were thinking of the SP-14 which only has one tube in the phono section. I owned the SP-14 and didn't like it.

A past owner of the SP-9 MKI & II and recent owner of the SP14 I should have known better. Perhaps it's because they sounded so solid state. Age is humbling. My apology MEP.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have had GREAT solid state preamps from Levinson (early models) and Gryphon, but overall I have enjoyed my time with tubed-based preamps. My current Viva Solista integrated sports all tube stages.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi
I used to be a Tube person. This changed when I changed my Audible Illusion for a Classe DR-5 SS preamp. I did go back to tube, a Jadis preamp, followed by a CAT then VTL preamps .. Around the early 90's heard the Symphonic Line Lines Stage which was a revelation of how far the SS had advanced, then heard the mighty Burmester 808 .. That was it ... no more Tube and I moved toward Burmester preamps and amps .. Presently using Benchmark but soon to move back to Burmester preamps and amps ...

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
My very first pre amp was SS - the Apt Holman. Had it for many years before giving it to my son when I got a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1. The Sonic Frontiers was eventually replaced by a BAT VK-30SE that I subsequently upgraded to a VK-31SE which I still use today.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's a great Pre MiTT. Does nothing wrong and has wonderful functionality. It was my first taste of the 6H30. I could never bring myself to let mine go, in fact I resurrected it and built an HT system around it and its fixed gain feature.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My first separates system was all Boothroyd Stuart Meridian - with the 101 preamp and the 103D power amp with the twin power supplies - so, solid state. After a family financial set-back, it was almost 10 years later before I could afford another separate system - a pre-owned Audible Illusions Modulus 1B and Rotel RB-870 - tube pre and SS power. The Modulus 1B never sounded "right" until I ripped all the guts out of case, and screwed everything onto a wooden butcher's block. Next, it was a BAT VK-3i (tubes), replaced by an FM Acoustics 266 (SS).

When I started Genesis, I "downgraded" to the FM Acoustics 255 - because the 266 did not have single-ended inputs. Now, I have four preamps in constant use - the FM255, the Melody SHW-1688 (tubes), the Arcam GFP-750, and a prototype Steve McCormack/Gary Koh preamp that has been in the works for the past 16 months.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Ah...

I had tube and went to SS. The cosmic audio forces are, once again, balanced. ;-)

So, you prefer balanced topology...true differential, I presume - lol...just playin' :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Let's see...it goes something like this: Sansui integrated amp, ss/mid 70's; Luxman preamp, ss/late 70's; audio hiatus; Jeff Rowland Consummate, ss/90's?; BAT 51SE, tubes/2000's; BAT REX, tubes/current (pun intended) :cool:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I started out with an Apt Holman/Hafler combo back in the '70's. Think the most "musical" pre I've ever had was a CAT SL-1 Ultimate. I then switched to pro stuff. Now using a Crane Song Avocet pre which is discrete Class A built by Dave Hill with built-in DAC. I was toying with the idea of using an audiophile pre again to see if I was missing anything. Pass is supposed to send me an XP20/25 combo to try. Anyone going to DartZeel... good luck!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Hey Bruce,

Elucidation, please? Thanks.

To get the best out of DartZeel you need to use the proprietary 50ohm BNC "Zeel" connections. Trying to incorporate that into a mix and match system is a PITA. I've tried a couple of times to bring my equipment over to Mike's room and had nightmare impedence/mismatch issues. If anyone is going the DartZeel route, you need to use the 50ohm connectors throughout. Thankfully the Playback now has 50ohm BNC's and I think other manufacturers are trying to accomodate. Says something about system Synergy (the other Thread).

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
To get the best out of DartZeel you need to use the proprietary 50ohm BNC "Zeel" connections. Trying to incorporate that into a mix and match system is a PITA. I've tried a couple of times to bring my equipment over to Mike's room and had nightmare impedence/mismatch issues. If anyone is going the DartZeel route, you need to use the 50ohm connectors throughout. Thankfully the Playback now has 50ohm BNC's and I think other manufacturers are trying to accomodate. Says something about system Synergy (the other Thread).

Thanks, Bruce. I just started purchasing T & M gear: HP Audio Analyzer, DMM...researching HP spectrum analyzers and dynamic signal analyzers, now :) Decided to go with a Tek scope. All this gear runs on 50-ohm cable with BNC connectors.

I recall my Forsell CD transport has a provision for a 50-ohm connection...Forsell...DartZeel -- maybe, it's a Swiss thing - hehe. ;)

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
I use the Mark Levinson 380S preamp to control my Magneplanar Tympani bass panels. The preamp has a extremely fine adjustment of (.1 db) that I use for balance.

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
I've picked up a Luxman CL35 MKIII tube pre. I'll see how it compares to the Lux CO2 that I'm using.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

In order to use the Darzeel preamplifier with other power amplifiers you just have to use the 50 ohm BNC cable with a BNC female T adapter using a BNC 50 ohm terminator and a BNC male - RCA male adapter.

Like this you get electrical synergy. To have acoustic synergy and plenty of power you have to spend more than usd 150000. :(

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
When I started to purchase equipment with my own money, the fisrt two preamps I acquired were the Precision Fidelity C7 and the Audio Research SP8. I have since disposed of them and nowadays, I have a few preamps and line stages that I rotate around. I have solid state, tubes, and a hybrid. I am biased towards solid state if I am in the market for a new preamp. Good tubes have become extremely expensive and I have watched friends buy new tube preamps or line stages then spend the next two years searching for the correct tubes to arrive at their desired sonic flavor. And in most cases, the tube rolling experience cost as much as the tube preamp or line stage. In my own case, the cost of the tubes I use in my Audio Research SP3 have risen so much that each tube now cost more than the SP3 when it was brand new.

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
I started with a Krell when I shifted out of HT and into 2-channel but went to tubes shortly after and have been since. I got my VAC Renaissance Signature MkII four years ago and haven't looked back. I went back and forth between some SS, hybrid and tube amps and then landed on twin VAC 300.1's.

I have done some business consulting for friends of mine who launched a new line, I am anxious to hear their "no holds barred" effort.... http://purityaudiodesign.com/ultra gt.htm

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I voted tubes, unless the preamp is a Burmester, then it has to be SS. Burmester has all the virtues of the tube sound. Don't take my word, just go hear a 088 or 077 preamp. Or even the preamp section in the 089 or 069 CDP/DAC/PRE.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
cj art3 for me

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Turntable,

Nice to see you posting! Still enjoying the CJ ACT 2 with the Gryphon Antileon. Someday, i am going to try to step up to ART 3/GAT s/hand. I have heard they are at the same time even more neutral while being more musical. Tough to do!!! Would love to hear...too bad so hard to find in UK.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing