Tube or Solid State Pre Amp - which did you choose

Tube or Solid State Pre Amp

• Total voters

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I am curious to see how many folks picked one over the other.

I had SS and went to Tube.

My tube preamp drives a solid state power amp, most of the time. Other times I connect it to my tube power amp.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
My first true high end system used my Accuphase E-202 Integrated SS amp. Later, when I went to true separates I went to an Acurus A-250 SS Amp and a Carver C19 Hybrid Preamp. Once the Carver failed I went to a Krell KAV-250a/3 SS amp which was added to the Acurus Amp. At that point I added the Proeceed AVP SS Pre/Pro. I then added Aragon Palladium 1K SS amps (and then 2 more) along with my Onkyo 885 SS Pre/Pro. To that system I added the Audio Research LS10 SS Line Stage Preamp.

Rich

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I didn't think of that option for the poll. sorry bout that.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Should also had hybrid :)

My first "high-end" preamp was a Hafler DH101 that I had modified by Van Alastine. At the same time, however, I had an interest in hearing a tube preamp and had been after a close friend to drag his POOGED Dynaco PAS 3 over (with separate outboard power supply-my friend never did anything half ass :) ) over to my home. One day he calls me and says if I pick him up, he'll bring it over. Faster than you can say ah one and u two, was in the car, picked him up and plugged the unit in. The long and short of the story was that I was blown away by the Dynaco. More music than I ever heard before coming through my DQ10s. Less harshness, etc., etc. Next day, sold my Hafler to Stereo Exchange and used the credit to pick up a used cj PV5. Never looked back since though obviously have over the years had many ss, tube and hybrid units in the house.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
From the excellent SS DENON PRA S-10, to the Golden Tube SEP-2,then SEP-3,then Sonic frontiers LINE-2,then LINE-2 SE,then LINE-2 SE++.I 'll never go back!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
H-K A 500 Tube amp..modded for preamp output only, a Counterpoint SA3 and now a CAT SL1 Sig with rolled in tubes. IMHO, tubes are the ONLY way to go in the preamp section.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I voted Tube, although my SP-9 Mk 2 is technically a hybrid. (That said, the Allnic H-3000 and L-3000 I'm currently using are tubed all the way!)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hybrid here :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have always used a SS preamp,a Accuphase C200. Although I find my Ampex 350's produce a more realistic and natural rendition of a recording. I currently am replacing the signal caps in the Ampex with film caps,so we will see if things improve. The tape monitor allows me to use the Ampex as a preamp and the Accuphase as far as I can tell is close to straight through.

JoeESP9

Jul 18, 2010
Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Got an ARC SP-9 Mk3. Wanted to vote hybrid. Couldn't so voted tube. Tubes drive my ESL's and SS drives my subs.

Rich, that was me with the heads up about JGH. Like your mag.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Technically the ARC SP-9 is SS. It has only one tube in the phono stage. Tubes are preferred for small signal amplification.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not true. The SP-9 has two tubes, one in the phono section and one in the line section. It is a hybrid though. Maybe you were thinking of the SP-14 which only has one tube in the phono section. I owned the SP-14 and didn't like it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing