TT choosing for setup

dante_kh

Oct 4, 2022
Hi guys,

I'm relatively newbie with TT, but have some experience with digital sound and portable hi-fi and hi-end stuff (I write reviews for a few years for one local audio store).

Now I would like to go deep to the analogue sound. I have Dali Oberon 5 and Marantz PM 6006 (with phono preamp on board, but still planning to use some separate one). I use separate dac (aune x8 with sparkos labs ss3602 and linear power supply) or my dap (ibasso dx220max) as a source.

Now I consider some TTs as my first one (I dont count the old soviet one from my teenage): pro-ject debut carbon (pro and pro s as well), pro-ject x1 or something else. What TT would be the most matching for my setup? I would like to upgrade it, but with current situation (war and significant inflation) I am not sure that I will really do it. But I am planning to upgrade cartridge and buy some phono preamp (tube one most likely).

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi guys,

I'm relatively newbie with TT, but have some experience with digital sound and portable hi-fi and hi-end stuff (I write reviews for a few years for one local audio store).

Now I would like to go deep to the analogue sound. I have Dali Oberon 5 and Marantz PM 6006 (with phono preamp on board, but still planning to use some separate one). I use separate dac (aune x8 with sparkos labs ss3602 and linear power supply) or my dap (ibasso dx220max) as a source.

Now I consider some TTs as my first one (I dont count the old soviet one from my teenage): pro-ject debut carbon (pro and pro s as well), pro-ject x1 or something else. What TT would be the most matching for my setup? I would like to upgrade it, but with current situation (war and significant inflation) I am not sure that I will really do it. But I am planning to upgrade cartridge and buy some phono preamp (tube one most likely).
If I would be shopping for a first turntable with your setup, I would look at either Rega, or Pro-Ject. My personal choice would be Rega P1 with our Zen Phono. I like Rega for its analogue sound and very high build quality. Great tt to start.

I would also like to point out that you will need a record brush and a stylus brush. They will help to take care of records and the cartridge. Clean record is a happy one. The sound will benefit too.

Reactions: dante_kh

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@dante_kh are you comfortable sharing roughly where you are located? It may help forum members provide better and more affordable recommendations...

dante_kh

Oct 4, 2022
@dante_kh are you comfortable sharing roughly where you are located? It may help forum members provide better and more affordable recommendations...
I'm still in Ukraine, but far from home. I even composed some stereo system with old rega kyte here. The world is full of kind people, not only aggressive bastards :)

I considered rega's tt of course, p3 first of all. There are a few options with used Planar 3 (previous generation). Are they still competitive? And yesterday found used p5. I heard many good words about it

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Imagine that! A turntable with an analogue sound. What other kind of sound might it have? Digital?
Analogue in the meaning of rich and warm. Pro-Ject turntables have more technical sound, leaner and more dynamic. It really depends on the rest of the system which is the best match.

I'm still in Ukraine, but far from home. I even composed some stereo system with old rega kyte here. The world is full of kind people, not only aggressive bastards :)

I considered rega's tt of course, p3 first of all. There are a few options with used Planar 3 (previous generation). Are they still competitive? And yesterday found used p5. I heard many good words about it
We hope you are safe!
Previous generation P3 is still a very good turntable, no need to worry :)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I'm still in Ukraine, but far from home. I even composed some stereo system with old rega kyte here.
I don't know what might be easiest to get in Ukraine right now, but in case you don't know two interesting Ukraine based resources:

Karmadon makes modern tonearms based after vintage design, restores old turntables and may be a resource for help.

Abbas makes preamps, dacs, phono preamps etc.

( sorry if these are obvious and known to you )

dante_kh

Oct 4, 2022
I don't know what might be easiest to get in Ukraine right now, but in case you don't know two interesting Ukraine based resources:

Karmadon makes modern tonearms based after vintage design, restores old turntables and may be a resource for help.

Abbas makes preamps, dacs, phono preamps etc.

( sorry if these are obvious and known to you )
Thanks a lot. I haven't even known about them so far. I closely know Ambient acoustics (custom and universal iems), Flux Lab (great amplifiers, the same owners as era-in-ear, hi-fi store I'm blogging) and Rinaro Isodynamis (fantastic planar drivers).

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks a lot. I haven't even known about them so far. I closely know Ambient acoustics (custom and universal iems), Flux Lab (great amplifiers, the same owners as era-in-ear, hi-fi store I'm blogging) and Rinaro Isodynamis (fantastic planar drivers).
Rinaro Isodynamis makes drivers for Meze. They sound amazing!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing