This TT Setup Shouldn’t Sound this Good

Joenies

Feb 18, 2022
Greetings,
‘This is my first post here. I have been enjoying all the posts and the professional responses.
I purchased an Oracle Delphi MK II TT in 1982. This TT has served me well for the last 38 years. 2 years ago the motor started to fail. I let it sit unused until this year. I contacted Oracle about a new motor and a few other upgrades. Oracle contacted me and asked, with all the upgrades I wanted would I consider trading in the MK II for a new MK VI. Oracle made me more than a fare offer for my MK II. So now I’m the owner of a new MK VI. I had a ET2 Tonearm on the MK II for the last 35 years. Jacques at Oracle said he would make me a new mounting for the ET2 but would take some time. I said ok but please send me a mounting board for a Graham Phantom B44 arm that have.
Now the good part of the posting.
‘I received the TT and set it up with the following, installed the Graham Phantom B44 with a Denon DL-S1 cartridge going to a Denon AU-S1 SUT using Audience phono cables. I then hooked it up to my Mod Squad Phono Drive (a very nice unit that has served me well). What I didn’t expect was how Great this combination sounds. Every album I played made my ears smile. It sounds really really good.
My confusion is that it sounds almost equal to my main TT setup. My main TT is as follows:
ClearAudio Master Solution TT, Graham Phantom Elite arm, Benz LPS cartridge, Tara Labs Zero Evolution Phono w/ Ground Station and a Aesthetic I/O Eclipse phono pre amp.
Please don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy that I have 2 wonderful TT. I didn’t think the Oracle would compete with my ClearAudio setup But it comes really close.
I’m very happy to have 2 TT with two different stylus geometries. Both TT provide me with much musical enjoyment.
Thank you WBF for letting me post.
‘Respectfully
Joe Nies

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Congrats on a pleasant surprise.

Since you had an Oracle already I read this as you are quite impressed with how much better their current iteration is vs your older version. Good on them.

Joenies

Feb 18, 2022
Yes Solypsa I’m impressed with the new Oracle’s sound quality. It is more refined than the MK II. The MK II was also a beautiful looking TT and the MK VI follows that tradition.
Joe Nies

Reactions: Solypsa

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
My confusion is that it sounds almost equal to my main TT setup. My main TT is as follows:
ClearAudio Master Solution TT, Graham Phantom Elite arm, Benz LPS cartridge, Tara Labs Zero Evolution Phono w/ Ground Station and a Aesthetic I/O Eclipse phono pre amp.
Please don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy that I have 2 wonderful TT. I didn’t think the Oracle would compete with my ClearAudio setup But it comes really close.
IMHO Oracle is a serious turntable together with Graham B44 MK2 tonearm. I always liked Oracle’s sound.

Joenies

Feb 18, 2022
Hello metmur,
I agree the Oracle is. A great TT. That’s why my MK II was the only TT I had for 37 years. The MK VI is a better TT in so many ways. Progress at work.
What I was surprised at was my ClearAudio setup has a newer arm, cable and goes to my IO. It also cost a lot more money. My Oracle is hooked up with a lesser cable, 25 year old tonearm and a 35 year old phono drive.
I knew it would sound good but it sounds great.
I’m a bit disappointed in my ClearAudio setup at the moment but it also sounds great.
I’m enjoying them both. I’m happy my older equipment still has a lot of life left in them.
Joe

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing