Tripoint Troy Elite - Installed

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Guys can you share with some of the ways you guys connect the ground connector to the chasis from a Tripoint ?

Thank you ! am I doing it the right way or what's the best way or tool to go about this thank you !

IMG_8370.jpeg IMG_8372.jpeg

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
First of all, the direction of Tripoint grounding cables is important. Spades with the blue tags are always on the component side! From your first photo it’s seen you got that wrong. Use metal screws on the chassis not connectors. If you have a grounding post on the chassis, use it. Next best thing is to modify a chassis screw into a grounding post.

Reactions: jackson_k

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
First of all, the direction of Tripoint grounding cables is important. Spades with the blue tags are always on the component side! From your first photo it’s seen you got that wrong. Use metal screws on the chassis not connectors. If you have a grounding post on the chassis, use it. Next best thing is to modify a chassis screw into a grounding post.
Marcus , thank you for pointing that out ! I am going to go and reserve that connection right away ! as for the chassis screw into the grounding post , do you have any photos or links that you can share with me , thank you so much for the help and also is it a good idea to connect the grounding cable to the RCA jack , and if so do you know what tools Is best to do that with ?

Thank you for you time and advice !

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
I dont think that may people use the tripoint for signal ground purposes (RCA, XLR, Etc). Im using a signature (Thanks Tang!) for chassis ground, and it is wonderful.

If anyone is using for signal ground, please weigh in, Id ne interested to hear about that.

Reactions: christoph

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I wish I could help, all my connected components have ground connections except the Aurender W20. Has anyone connected a W20 to their Tripoint?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Is quite easy to check by taking a multimeter and put the prongs between signal grounds / chassis / iec earth pin to see where continuity exists.

Yes, Mr. Lin, designer of Telos GNR v3.1 active electrical groundboxes advocates using this method to locate the chassis screws or ground=post which has the lowest resistance and attach the groundwire there.
The effect of his groundboxes can then be optimized.
I think this can be applied to Troy groundboxes too.

Please refer to the several photos near the end of this review :
https://review.u-audio.com.tw/reviewdetail.asp?reviewid=1589
You may use google-translate to read the captions.
;)

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Guys can you share with some of the ways you guys connect the ground connector to the chasis from a Tripoint ?

Thank you ! am I doing it the right way or what's the best way or tool to go about this thank you !

on my dart 458 amps i'm using a chassis screw for the ground. i purchased a longer screw and a series of larger and smaller washers and a nut to attach a ground spade. seems to work well and i can hear what it's doing. love to upgrade these standard ground wires to Thor SE's when i can.

i asked my amp designer which screw would likely give me the best chassis ground which is how i choose that one. would every amp designer be so supportive and open minded to help in that way? not sure.

ground-2.jpg ground-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
on my dart 458 amps i'm using a chassis screw for the ground. i purchased a longer screw and a series of larger and smaller washers and a nut to attach a ground spade. seems to work well and i can hear what it's doing. love to upgrade these standard ground wires to Thor SE's when i can.

i asked my amp designer which screw would likely give me the best chassis ground which is how i choose that one. would every amp designer be so supportive and open minded to help in that way? not sure.

View attachment 49987 View attachment 49988
This looks excellent. I did the same with my Ayon amps and preamps. On the inner side of chassis I also neatly scraped the paint off sothat that the inner washer fully touch the chassis.

Tang :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
This looks excellent. I did the same with my Ayon amps and preamps. On the inner side of chassis I also neatly scraped the paint off sothat that the inner washer fully touch the chassis.

Tang :)

for the dart 458's the surface is anodized (no paint anywhere on the dart), but it's more what the screw is screwed into. the other factor is the screw metal; Miguel at one point was trying to source an alternate material for the screws, washers, and nuts (some sort of brass or copper alloy). each chassis is unique and i would recommend consulting with Miguel for optimization ideas.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Guys, I have a quick question about TRIPOINT ,, I am trying to use it with the HFC helix conditioner and just wondering where is usually the best location to plug in the TRIPOINT SIGNATURE , I currently have it plugged into the dedicated line with two receptacles , so one is connected to the TRIPOINT and the other one for HFC Conditioner,, is that the best way or can I actually plug in the tripoint into the conditioner?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Am on holiday just now however you can use the omega symbol range to determine continuity (audible beep setting is helpful) and measure impedance / resistance.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Guys, I have a quick question about TRIPOINT ,, I am trying to use it with the HFC helix conditioner and just wondering where is usually the best location to plug in the TRIPOINT SIGNATURE , I currently have it plugged into the dedicated line with two receptacles , so one is connected to the TRIPOINT and the other one for HFC Conditioner,, is that the best way or can I actually plug in the tripoint into the conditioner?

as far as the optimal spot to plug the Tripoint Troy Signature, it is really a matter of trial and error. Miguel recommends starting with the outlet where you plug your preamp into, then next the outlet where you plug your most used source such as a dac, or your amplifier if it's a stereo one. with mono blocks try both.

it may take some time to get this figured out as typically you are not going to get a quick take on the change. it might need a few days to really 'come in'.

in my system i have the Elite (with my sources) plugged into the same outlet as my darTZeel preamp, and then my Tripoint Troy Sig is with my amps and plugged into an unused outlet between my amps. it's just what sounded best to my ears.

as far as plugging the Tripoint directly into the power conditioner or on the same outlet as the power conditioner, i have no clue. but there is no wrong answer. try it and see if you prefer it. follow your ears. sorry i can't help more with that.

Last edited:

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
as far as the optimal spot to plug the Tripoint Troy Signature, it is really a matter of trial and error. Miguel recommends starting with the outlet where you plug your preamp into, then next the outlet where you plug your most used source such as a dac, or your amplifier if it's a stereo one. with mono blocks try both.

it may take some time to get this figured out as typically you are not going to get a quick take on the change. it might need a few days to really 'come in'.

in my system i have the Elite (with my sources) plugged into the same outlet as my darTZeel preamp, and then my Tripoint Troy Sig is with my amps and plugged into an unused outlet between my amps. it's just what sounded best to my ears.

as far as plugging the Tripoint directly into the power conditioner or on the same outlet as the power conditioner, i have no clue. but there is no wrong answer. try it and see if you prefer it. follow your ears. sorry i can't help more with that.
So in my case I plug all my equipment into the TORUS AVR20 ,, Then feeding it to the HFC conditioner then to the AMPS , but all the front end are plugged directly into the TORUS AVR20, I currently plug the tripoint into the same outlet as the torus , ,,, is it better to plug it into where the Front end is ?which is on the AVR20? I just want to make sure its what would work and not cause any issues,,,

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Jackson,
I would try it both ways. If I remember correctly, Miguel said to play around with it. I ended up plugging the Elite with my amps on the same dedicated circuit. I also agree with Mike to leave it for some time to really get a good idea about the difference and then decide.

Dave

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Jackson,
I would try it both ways. If I remember correctly, Miguel said to play around with it. I ended up plugging the Elite with my amps on the same dedicated circuit. I also agree with Mike to leave it for some time to really get a good idea about the difference and then decide.

Dave
whats the biggest difference you felt after putting Tripoint into chain ? I do feel a super dead quiet silent , but that could also be the help of isolation transformers, but I am more curious from which point will be most efficient for the tripoint to take OUT the noises (or whatever its doing ) I current connect the ground cable from my TORUS AVR20 to TRIPOINT , but if I plug tripoint into TORUS AVR20, then does it still make sense to connect that ground cable ? ( since its already "plugged in" )

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
The Elite strips away noise I never knew was there. Before I installed it, i thought my system was pretty quiet but then after you hear so much more information in the signal. Walls seem to disappear and the soundstage is enhanced if its on the recording. I can't answer which point is most efficient, I imagine that different amps, dacs, and spinners all put some noise back into the signal to varying degrees.

Dave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing