Trinity DAC

Chris, does the CH C1 have a remote that controls volume?

Yes, that is if you're using the c1 pre and configure it to use the CH remote then yes. The CH remote is a small heavy gorgeous remote with a magnet to attach to the side /case of the C1. Despite this, i don't use it as i'm running through a nagra jazz pre. It has 5 buttons, two for volume and two for scan forward and backward.

Two new reviews of the Trinity dac and Trinity phono can be found on the Trinity website. Look for the post 'reviews'. Both reviews are glowing.

Yes, that is if you're using the c1 pre and configure it to use the CH remote then yes. The CH remote is a small heavy gorgeous remote with a magnet to attach to the side /case of the C1. Despite this, i don't use it as i'm running through a nagra jazz pre. It has 5 buttons, two for volume and two for scan forward and backward.
By very early next year, one will be able to control all CH functions by a free Android app. I have seen the alpha version in action and it looked like a finished product to me already.

Two new reviews of the Trinity dac and Trinity phono can be found on the Trinity website. Look for the post 'reviews'. Both reviews are glowing.

No doubt it would be glowing. If you are impressed AC with all your Dac experience, then the Trinity must be very good indeed…though pricey. It seems like it is a time domain champ, much like the Chord Hugo. I suspect when Chord releases the desktop version of Hugo with elaborate PSU and all, it will likely be similar in sound to Trinity given the immense filter tap length it is rumoured to have.

Last edited:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It seems that I will have to eat my words (again !) . I have stated that the Trinity drive is a computer in a nice box ... well, it is but it is far from beeing a regular PC.

I was discussing with Dietmar the Transport design, and here is what I've learned:

I use in my mediaPC a top of the etch Swiss SMPS, followed by an passive filter, followed by an extreme low drop, low nose 7.5A voltage regulator and additional capacitors afterwards.

The power supply for the HDD comes direct from this board and not from the motherboard and the DAC USB interfaces get an additional low noise 5V voltage regulator.

That means only the differential data lines of the USB interface are connected to the motherboard.

The HDD and the optical drive are placed on vibration-cushioned suspensions, whereby I use different material for HDD and optical drive, since they rotation speed and therefor the vibration frequencies are different.

So as always, a lot of clever thinking. Guys at computer audiophile are experimenting with powering SSD drives from an external (clean) supply, and it seems Dietmar is already doing that and more. It looks to be a very well though out design. Not cheap, but it definately is not your regular PC I thought it is.

Speaking for the phono stage, I am not impressed. That said, I would love to hear it against my tube beast. I suspect I would be left with a rather dry, constricted, looking for a glass of water presentation compared to my tube pre. Sorry for the thread diversion...;)

As I have written before on this thread: the Trinity media pc adds beautifully to the strength of the Trinity dac and sounds better than the computer I was using. The Trinity combo (still) sounds fabulous to my ears and to me a stunning dac like the Trinity deserves a top of the bill drive. The Trinity media pc is such a device. Try it out with the Trinity dac and you will (very probably) surrender.

I inserted in my Tidal/Zanden/Trinity/Tripoint system lately the new (but not yet officially launched) top of the line Taralabs grandmaster evolution series (I will start a thread on these fabulous cables after they are fully played in): the finesse, refinement, info retrieval, micro and macro dynamics, transparency and soundstaging is something out of this world. In one word: superb.

Partner.png

What are the connections marked with an arrow above?

And what are the dimensions (size) of the DAC?

Thanks.

Partner.png

What are the connections marked with an arrow above?
And what are the dimensions (size) of the DAC?
Thanks.

The left-most port next to Trinity logo in the photo is empty.

For the Trinity DAC sold in Hong Kong, it is a port for connection to groundboxes such as Tripoint or Entreq.
Doing so improves the sonic performance significantly.

This photo was taken when I was testing a Totaldac usb cable with the Trinity DAC last month.

211707ciqmtmerbm8eorzr.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm. I just noticed the blank port on my Trinity DAC where on the photo of your unit there is a port for grounding. Why would this just be on the version for Hong Kong? We have our Tripoints in the US! It has been difficult given the case construction to ground to the case (the screws are way too small).

Hmm. I just noticed the blank port on my Trinity DAC where on the photo of your unit there is a port for grounding. Why would this just be on the version for Hong Kong? We have our Tripoints in the US! It has been difficult given the case construction to ground to the case (the screws are way too small).

Maybe because Audioexotics, the HK Trinity dealer is also the Tripoint official dealer.

BTW there is a similar groundbox port on the Trinity Media PC!

The one on the left is blanked. Then you have two clock outputs for each freq family, followed by two control inputs (all 4 are used for calibrating the clock). The one marked USB inbetween the inputs has an array of LEDs, showing the incoming USB sample rate (very inconvinient; most DACs has those LED on the front panel; Trinity uses a single LED on the front panel that changes the color - so a similar solution the AQ Dragonfly and Chord DACs).

The pic must show a preproduction model, as my DAC has all of the inputs marked and a serial # under the Trinity logo.

My DAC (bought in November 2013) also lacks the grounding post. I believe Dietmar has added this feature later. You can probably send it to Dietmar for retrofitting.

Great photo. I ground my Zanden digital and agree it makes a big difference...in fact I ground 3 out of the 4 Zanden boxes by chassis....and also 'ground signal' by the RCA digital out of the DAC itself.
The left-most port next to Trinity logo in the photo is empty.

For the Trinity DAC sold in Hong Kong, it is a port for connection to groundboxes such as Tripoint or Entreq.
Doing so improves the sonic performance significantly.

This photo was taken when I was testing a Totaldac usb cable with the Trinity DAC last month.

View attachment 17245

Great photo. I ground my Zanden digital and agree it makes a big difference...in fact I ground 3 out of the 4 Zanden boxes by chassis....and also 'ground signal' by the RCA digital out of the DAC itself.

IMHO grounding with Tripoint or Entreq is particularly effective for digital gears.
It's definite worth sending the Trinity DAC back for ground port installation.

BTW the ground-wires also affect the sonic performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing