Trinity DAC

Thanks ! Bad news for me :(

I need to try the W-20 at home and compare it to my CAPS V3 on steroids.

I am interested in how the W20 would compare. I have both an LPS and a Red Wine Black Lightening and am currently comparing the JCAT v Pang v SOTM.

I still don't get why the clock on the W20 with data streaming via either XLR or SPDIF should be better than clocking via USB and Aurender and MSB have never given me an answer which raises some issues.

An in house developed computer may or may not be better, batteries may or may not be better and there are arguments made by developers, very convincing ones at that, why LPS are superior so I am not sure the use of batteries is necessarily a "good" thing on the Aurender.

However I am always open but when it comes to a 17k server somewhat skeptical compared to a CAPS and good LPS with a good USB card.

We will see. If you try it let us know.

Using batteries is a good concept, as far as feeding the computer grunge back vis the AC line is concerned. Other that that - a good LPSU could indeed be superior. I perosonally use two ULN PSU from Teddy Pardo - one feeding the MoBo, and the other one feeding the SOtM USB card.

In case of the Aurender W-20, the batteries effect is somehow spoiled by the fact, that it still uses a switch mode PSU for the MoBo. Martin Colloms from HiFi Critic has noted in his review, that pluging in the W-20 to the mains next to other hifi components, makes the other components sound worse. His conclusion was that it is because of the noise generating PSU inside the W-20.

So if anything, the W-20 should be fed from a separate AC line.

An interesting music server is beeing developed by a company called Amare Music. They already have a preproduction samples. Their Diamond server uses a MoBo specially designed for the server (with low noise in mind), and uses a LPSUs for the whole server - no SMPS in sight. The price makes it also more accessible than the Aurender - I believe it will be around $6000.

1901689_663723450357415_1460971328_n.jpg

serv_soon.jpg

I should have this server is a couple of weeks to try as well.

Using batteries is a good concept, as far as feeding the computer grunge back vis the AC line is concerned. Other that that - a good LPSU could indeed be superior. I perosonally use two ULN PSU from Teddy Pardo - one feeding the MoBo, and the other one feeding the SOtM USB card.

In case of the Aurender W-20, the batteries effect is somehow spoiled by the fact, that it still uses a switch mode PSU for the MoBo. Martin Colloms from HiFi Critic has noted in his review, that pluging in the W-20 to the mains next to other hifi components, makes the other components sound worse. His conclusion was that it is because of the noise generating PSU inside the W-20.

So if anything, the W-20 should be fed from a separate AC line.

An interesting music server is beeing developed by a company called Amare Music. They already have a preproduction samples. Their Diamond server uses a MoBo specially designed for the server (with low noise in mind), and uses a LPSUs for the whole server - no SMPS in sight. The price makes it also more accessible than the Aurender - I believe it will be around $6000.

View attachment 15258

View attachment 15259

I should have this server is a couple of weeks to try as well.

Now that makes sense!!

Let us know how that goes. I don't like the concept of on chassis battery with a switching mode. It sounds cool but doesn't make sense to me. Outside feeding the MOBO etc fine but a switching battery inside I don't like the theory.

Look forward to hearing how it sounds.

Ultimate Audio Main Room (sorry but Was taken with Mobile Phone)
Trinity DAC and Preamp
Aurender W20
Gryphon Antileon Signature
Rockport Altair
Cables Gobel Lacorde Statment
Conditioner Gigawatt PC4 EVO

We will present the system in Valencia Spain from 2-4 May. If you are nearby you are most Welcome! The amp will be Gryphon Mephisto instead and also Will present Tripoint Troy Signature with Thor cable.

Dont miss it...

A comparison between the Trinity DAC and Gryphon Kalliope would be interesting.

I connected my Trinity pc&drive through a Tripoint Se grounding cable to the Tripoint Troy signature with Thor powercord upgrade. Furthermore I grounded several other components of my set up with 'regular' Tripoint cables, that is cables that are supplied with the Troy signature. The differences (for the better) are relevatory and staggering. See my description on the Tripoint Troy grounding device thread. In other words my message is: the Trinity combo benefits very significantly from grounding with Tripoint components.

Yes, that was also my experience with Trinity. On the other hand, it seems to be fairly unsensitive to USB source quality - I have had hard time telling various USB cards apart (SOtM va Jcat). I had no such a problems on much less expensive DACs.

Interesting that you mention this Adam. After the hype on the AE forum I swapped between a very inexpensive usb cable, the one that I had been using from the beginning with my Trinity dac, and a special made and very elaborate fabricated usb cable by a manufacturer that I respect very highly. After many a/b comparisons I too find the differences between the two usb cables I have tested very small indeed. The latter cable reproduces the sound, if I hear it correctly, from a somewhat blacker background but the differences are very small. Grounding the Trinity ps&drive with the Tripoint components I mentioned makes a profound difference though. The combination of the Trinity combo and the Tripoint Troy signature/Tripoint Thor se is the best digital I have heard so far (not claiming it is the best, just that I have not heard any beter digital sound). But this combination is also ruthless: bad recordings are disposed as such but good recording sound phenomenal. This combination furthermore proves to me the limitations of red book cd, although there are some very good CD's out there and I still like to listen to cd's. But good high res is to my ears clearly superior.

I haven't done any USB cables camparisions lately. I'm using AQ Diamond USB cable which I bought 2-3 years back. But what you say makes sense.

BTW - how do you ground components with this device ? Do you run separate cable to this device or ground it by connecting all powercords to it.

Some components like my Kondo M1000 preamp and the Trinity pc&cd drive have own grounding posts. My Trinity dac has not (yet but I already asked Dietmar to add one) but I believe all current Trinity dacs do have a grounding post. Through a grounding cable you connect a hifi component to one of the three binding posts of the Tripoint Troy signature (people hook up to 9 components, that is 3 on every binding post of the Troy signature). Very easily done and even after my experiences with a 'regular' Tripoint Troy signature in my Genesis set up, that is a Troy signature without the Thor pc upgrade and without the Thor se grounding cable, I am still flabbergasted what is happening in my Tidal/Zanden/Trinity system. I suppose the extra work done by Miguel on my latest Troy signature (pc upgrade and the incredible Thor se grouding wire) really pays off. Components without a separate grounding post can be connected through eg crews. I also grounded my Taralabs zero gold ic's and Taralabs omega gold loudspeaker cables. These cables have their own grounding boxes that I connected to the Tripoint Troy signature. As I wrote on the Tripoint thread: the differences are really fascinating. And believe me: I am a very experienced music lover and audiophile for more than 30 years. Before I get enthusiastic about something it has to be very, very good. And the combination of the Trinity combo/Tripoint Troy signature/Tripoint Thor se is unbelievable good.

Last edited:
The New Trinity Power Amp from the AE forum

image.jpg

Each amplifier has 99 output transistor pairs and 30 voltage regulators per half-bridge. The amp can run as two channel Stereo or as Mono bridge amp.

Last edited:
(...) The combination of the Trinity combo and the Tripoint Troy signature/Tripoint Thor se is the best digital I have heard so far (not claiming it is the best, just that I have not heard any beter digital sound). But this combination is also ruthless: bad recordings are disposed as such but good recording sound phenomenal. This combination furthermore proves to me the limitations of red book cd, although there are some very good CD's out there and I still like to listen to cd's. But good high res is to my ears clearly superior.

Very interesting comments. Can you illustrate them giving us a few examples of recordings that you would place in both classes?

I am extremely busy this week Microstrip, but I will come back to your question. Probably next weekend.

Each amplifier has 99 output transistor pairs and 30 voltage regulators per half-bridge. The amp can run as two channel Stereo or as Mono bridge amp.

What is the sugested retail ?

May I know how many of the Trinity DAC users here also own the Trinity Media PC?

Please tell us more about the Media PC (such as its internal HD/SSD, ripping capability & format, internet connection, NAS connection ...etc).
How is the performance of Trinity DAC when paired with Trinity Media PC vs other servers vs CD transports?
There is no such info in Trinity's website.

Many Thanks!

Jazzhead, where does this price from EUR 80k comes from? As far as I know the Trinity power amp is not available to the public yet and no retailprice is determined yet.

From one of their distributors , you could check with Dietmar .

I did this morning and if I understood Dietmar correctly no decision has been made yet on the retail price.

If I use the Trinity server/reclocker to feed my DAC, can I continue to use J River as my media controller (I use it for tagging via a laptop and for playback control via an iPad), or, will I need to switch my control setup? (My music files are stored on a Synology NAS.)

Hi guys, I has been with Dietmar last weekend and he still didn't have the production cost for it, so have no price yet, and he told me will have stereo and mono amplifiers. So the mono configuration only is not correct. His system is using a stereo prototype version of trinity amplifier
Best Regards
Luiz

€80k .. the final design will be mono config only ....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing