Transparent Audio: Gen 6 Announcement

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Isn't hi-fi history that Transparent purchased Bruce Brisson's original patents.

Later Brisson went on to found MIT and develop his own technologies that are exclusive to MIT.

For example, Poles of Articulation.

MIT and Transparent have no engineering similarities today.

Btw, MIT's Flagship AAC 268 rev2 retail for over 100k US MSRP currently.

Last edited:

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I like Transparent cables, I've had them since early mm2. I wonder how much input Josh had before leaving for Rockport?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think quite a few audiophiles have a handfull of CDs / test music digital files they simply wanna tune for better sound .
I think thats what the whole cable( tone control) thing is about

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Isn't hi-fi history that Transparent purchased Bruce Brisson's original patents.

Later Brisson went on to found MIT and develop his own technologies that are exclusive to MIT.

For example, Poles of Articulation.

MIT and Transparent have no engineering similarities today.

Btw, MIT's Flagship AAC 268 rev2 retail for over 100k US MSRP currently.
Actually Karen Sumner worked for MIT before starting Transparent Cable. I don't know if there was any financial transactions between the two but MIT was around first and I believe Karen was Bruce's sales representative. I know she also had represented some electronics back then as well.
Bruce Brisson was or is, sorry don't know today, the owner and designer of the products from MIT. I worked with both of them back in NYC during my Lyric days.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good one!! The answer is.... more!
MB Ultra speaker cables cost a lot less than 72K.
Actually I went from Oracle MA something (90?) SHD rev 2 to MB Ultras for not a big $ difference, but then again, the MITs retailed for about half of the latest Transparent Magnum Opus. Of course, all 3 are excellent speaker cables and a preference decision, but the TMO takes the retail prize and by a considerable amount.
For 72K, you could probably rent out the Philadelphia Orchestra, but that's not realistic as they wouldn't all be able to fit into my listening room. :rolleyes:
Marty,

Besides the 60k what is the difference between paying 72K or 12K for a pair of speaker cables? In reality both have absurd prices - no one has a scientific understanding of why they sound different, good scientists will tell us that all decently designed cables should sound the same, irrespective of price, unless the electronics are poorly designed. :)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty,

... good scientists will tell us that all decently designed cables should sound the same,..
Ah, but this is a story that's as old as the hills, and one that we know for sure is not true! Same story for the cables that process 1's and 0's.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Is the same for wine... terroir can be easily tasted in wine, but the scientists cannot find any limestone or granite or basalt molecules that could be said to impart the taste. Science does not yet know so very many things... we should be happy else where would our curiosity go?

Reactions: marty

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Far from it. MIT was founded in 1984 and Transparent in 1987, and at some point the principal was the MIT distributor probably before 1987 (memory fades). Transparent then moved on to essentially copy MIT's designs of that era (a simple low-pass filter) and have been stuck with the same idea since then, while MIT moved on to other approaches like these articulation poles and other recent "technologies".

Last edited:

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Far from it. MIT was founded in 1984 and Transparent in 1987, and at some point the principal was the MIT distributor probably before 1987 (memory fades). Transparent then moved on to essentially copy MIT's designs of that era (a simple low-pass filter) and have been stuck with the same idea since then, while MIT moved on to other approaches like these articulation poles and other recent "technologies".

Thanks for clarifying.

So , 72K for 1980s technology in a carbon fiber shell.

The irony is that many cables are far less expensive and more transparent than Transparent.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I like Transparent cables, I've had them since early mm2. I wonder how much input Josh had before leaving for Rockport?
Dave, I'm curious about that too...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
This time the new G6 change seems to focus on the shell material rather than the internal network

I found my Gen 5 speaker cable networks loved some isolation (have then on Grand Prix Audio platforms). So does't surprise me they found ways to improve the vibration control.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
FWIW , WBF has TOS that apply to all members. Further it is mandated that all members in the industry divulge their industry affiliation

Such was not the case here this morning with Sinbad who turns out to be none other than the owner and CEO of Transparent Audio, Karen Sumner

When I offered her the chance to divulge who she was behind her alias she deleted her posts and moved on. She was given a chance to post more under her real name but refused

Consider her gone.........

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Steve. Yeah, "Sinbad" and all the rest are a bunch of losers. They also appear to have copied MIT's Low/Mid/High impedance cable versions from the 2000s (now offered as an on-cable switch in the last decade).

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, Wilson and Transparent are very frequently sold by the same dealers. Nice distribution arrangement.

And Wilson audio wires their speakers with Transparent Cable. That is one powerful "appeal to authority" pitch dealers can make to their prospective customers.

And while there are many knowledgeable audiophiles who genuinely love the wilson / transparent combination, there are many clueless, rich audiophiles who want the "best", "most exclusive", "most luxurious" products. And, of course, the high price is a signal of that.

Finally, the dealer pitch will be " This is the best system I have heard in my [30, 40, etc.] years of selling gear. "

These cables will sell very well. Many will get a chance to visit Bora Bora thanks to the profits from these cables. :)

Reactions: Al M.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
As far as I remember the legal issues between MIT and the new Transparent came down to one used series wiring and one used parallel wiring...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As far as I remember the legal issues between MIT and the new Transparent came down to one used series wiring and one used parallel wiring...
Let me guess ; i once cracked open an old low level MIT cable and it had a coil in series , the transparent one had a cap wired parallel .
Both are low pass filters in this arrangement .
I m talking speaker cables from around 2000 s

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing