Totaldac Reference D1

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
TotalDAC fans:

If you have a D1-Server and are using the ethernet input for streaming your music, it is an easy task to convert it to supporting HQPlayer.
Since the D1-server utilizes a shielded cubox with ethernet input and usb output behind the
rear plate, the OS on the microSD can be simply swapped out for the NAA image that Jussi provides on
the signalyst.com site.

I assume the user is already familiar with using HQPlayer or HQPlayer embedded (i.e. linux).
I run the embedded version on ubuntu (bionic beaver).

Steps:
1. burn NAA image (current one is naa-355-cubox-i.7z) to a microSD card
2. turn off power to d1-server
3. remove (label and save) existing microSD card by pushing in, then popping out the microSD
4. insert new microSD with NAA image
5. turn d1-server power back on
6. in HQPlayer settings, find new NAA target on network
7. done. continue to use HQPlayer as previously

I was previously running an ultraRendu as my streaming target device and compared DLNA/MPD/LMS and NAA modes
and the NAA mode was consistently better. In NAA mode (and not the others), the renderer functionality is moved off of the target device
(HQPlayer does the rendering at the PC running HQPlayer) and a proprietary stream is sent to the NAA device, which now has much
less processing to do (and presumably can provide a cleaner/better usb output signal). While many use HQPlayer to upsample to higher PCM rates or to DSD, I do not do this as, in my limited trials, I found the TotalDAC to sound best with no other signal processing (warning: your mileage may vary).
Therefore, I am doing zero signal processing with HQPlayer, simply splitting the functionality so that the rendering happens in the PC and not the target steaming device.

Some initial (and not exactly adequate, sorry--my left channel Ayon monoblock is in the shop and replaced by 1/2 of an old ST-70) observations:
1. hqplayer==>50' cat6==>ultraRendu(NAA mode)==>usb ==> D1-server/reclocker==> aes/ebu ==>D1-Direct
2. hqplayer==>50' cat6==>ultraRendu(other modes)==>usb==>D1-server/reclocker==>aes/ebu==>D1-Direct
3. hqplayer==>50' cat6==>d1-server/cubox==>usb==>D1-server/reclocker==>aes/ebu==>D1-Direct

1 >> 2
1 >> 3

Given the latter, why do NAA at all?
Because, as Vincent recommends and is echoed by users and reviewers, the Gigafilter is needed to clean up the usb output of the cubox and greatly improves the sound......and I don't have one available right now so case 3 has no filtering of the usb signal.
The ultraRendu (with LPS-1.2 power supply) clearly creates a cleaner/better usb signal than the cubox alone for the reclocker input in the d1-server.

Once I get my monoblock back from the shop, I'll do more critical comparisons.

If anyone out there is using the D1-server and has the gigafilter, I'd be interested in knowing if the hqplayer/NAA provides further improvement in your system. HQPlayer can be downloaded in test mode where it will play for 30 minutes before needed to be restarted, so it is well suited for trial testing.

Reactions: CKKeung

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
One other thing I forgot to mention:
While I have not yet played with this, HQPlayer is used by some to also do room correction, i.e. doing the convolution with high precision math.
This assumes you have other means of identifying the needed convolution function.

Once I have my system back again as both a) functional and b) tuned, I will probably investigate this capability.
I used to have TacT room correction equipment, which were effecitve in helping my old B&W 801s image in their constrained locations but the TacT was no longer needed or beneficial once I bought Nola metro-grande speakers.

[note: I have no connection to HQPlayer or any other company related to audio]

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi everybody,
the d1-player is at home since now 72 hours !!! and that makes a significant difference beyond what I could have imagined... Arnies is absolutely right, that plays and more !

it's nothing and all
Bruno

Last edited:

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi,
it makes now one week living with d1-player and the feeling with it is still amazing ! All my music seem to have really another dimension, incarnation with an unbelievable harmonic richness in a quite perfect timing... that makes me believe more & more to a living accoustic event. It is a very strong feeling and very pleasant too !

Is there anybody in this box ?
& is there any limit to these musical expression ?!!!

be in music

Ohlins

Mar 1, 2015
Singapore
I'm using D1 dual + streamer board and have been using Linn Kazoo as a controller .........

With open home, streamer board can now use Lumin app as a controller .... and the interface is slightly better than Kazoo

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi,
my totaldac team seems to appreciate the nice Daiza support, the music too, so me too.

In short everyone is happy ... life is good !

Thanks to the friend Gipe who allowed me this interesting test.
this WE the super board goes under the amp to "see"what's happening.

Music to all

Daiza image2.jpeg

Attachments

• Daiza image1.jpeg
    Daiza image1.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 29

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Soon a review of the d1-tube with streamer option by Michael Lavorgna on http://twitteringmachines.com/
Usage as RoonReady, with Totaldac USB cable/filter loop and ethernet cable/filter.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Agree 100% with Michael Lavorgna.
He mentioned about Meaningful Delight.

In my own wordings : very few top dac in the market can connect with the listeners & their heart/emotion and Totaldac is definitely one of them!

Cool... it could also be my words. Connection and nearness with the intention of the musicians!
If there must be a true high fidelity, it would only be this one.

It's nothing and that's it.

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Diapason Magazine gave 6 stars for all the criteria including for its value for money to the Totaldac d1-core.

table_diapason.jpg

couverture_diapason.jpg

Attachments

• test_diapason_d1-core.jpg
    test_diapason_d1-core.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 15

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
exceptionally normal!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
I have also on stage for some time now the UP12, the new AES-EBU Totaldac and without going into details... only one thing is certain for me and my ears, it will stay in place. My musical structure has never played so well... one more time, thank you Vincent! We are few things and so...

It's nothing and that's all
Stay safe with music

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: paul79

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
A review of the Totaldac d100 speakers by HifiPig:
https://hifipig.com/totaldac-d100-loudspeakers/

"A big, standard looking 2.5-way loudspeaker that manages to transcend its looks with a sonic performance that draws you in and captivates with its rightness.
They are dynamic and detailed in a way that they just shouldn’t be and with a presentation that seems neutral and natural whether you play them loud or at more moderate volumes.
I want some!
Editor's choice"

dedicated forum here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/new-totaldac-d100-speaker.32467/page-2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing