Top of the Line Tube Amplifier Companies?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wavac hasn't been mentioned

audiopie

Apr 9, 2020
Colorado
Berning 211/845 (now just 845 on the updated model)
to quote Robert Harley in his October 2017 review: "...I can say that the 211/845 is the finest amplifier I've ever heard"

joel_hifi

Dec 19, 2020
Wavac

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Berning 211/845 (now just 845 on the updated model)
to quote Robert Harley in his October 2017 review: "...I can say that the 211/845 is the finest amplifier I've ever heard"
You have an unusual collection of awesome audio! Berning 845 and Boulder pre and phono. Have you spent time with the bigger 2100 and 3000 series Boulder amps?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I would throw in Canary Audio a small boutique amplifier company out of LA. They can tailor an amplifier to your needs and budget.

audiopie

Apr 9, 2020
Colorado
You have an unusual collection of awesome audio! Berning 845 and Boulder pre and phono. Have you spent time with the bigger 2100 and 3000 series Boulder amps?
LL21, I have heard both amp series, the 2100 series many times, but not in my home/system. Both series are impressive, but we wanted tubes in the mix. Obviously, we went opposite the way normally suggested, which would have been solid state amps and tube preamp. We had brought in the 1110 along with the 1161 for demo and were highly impressed with that pair. We felt that in many ways it bested electronics costing a lot more. We went through a lot of amps/preamps in our search and the 2110 was miles ahead of any other preamp we heard.

I agree, it is an unusual collection. While each item is awesome, I feel that right now the mix is not ideal. In fact I may start a thread about it, hopefully I can get some direction on how to optimize. But I won't be doing this until later this fall or in the winter when I have more time.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Tobian Sound Systems

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21, I have heard both amp series, the 2100 series many times, but not in my home/system. Both series are impressive, but we wanted tubes in the mix. Obviously, we went opposite the way normally suggested, which would have been solid state amps and tube preamp. We had brought in the 1110 along with the 1161 for demo and were highly impressed with that pair. We felt that in many ways it bested electronics costing a lot more. We went through a lot of amps/preamps in our search and the 2110 was miles ahead of any other preamp we heard.

I agree, it is an unusual collection. While each item is awesome, I feel that right now the mix is not ideal. In fact I may start a thread about it, hopefully I can get some direction on how to optimize. But I won't be doing this until later this fall or in the winter when I have more time.
Agree each item is awesome...that is what grabbed my attention. From looking at the list, I could see where you might wish the collection to sound more cohesive than you appear to suggest it does.

In your particular case, you may have to decide which of your awesome pieces is 'the most awesome piece'...and then build around that a bit more synergistically. Specifically, (and the good news is), you have an awesome pre and an awesome amp...so you may need to think 'which is the keeper?' And build around that one. (And build a second system around the other one!) ;)

Last edited:

audiopie

Apr 9, 2020
Colorado
Agree each item is awesome...that is what grabbed my attention. From looking at the list, I could see where you might wish the collection to sound more cohesive than you appear to suggest it does.

In your particular case, you may have to decide which of your awesome pieces is 'the most awesome piece'...and then build around that a bit more synergistically. Specifically, (and the good news is), you have an awesome pre and an awesome amp...so you may need to think 'which is the keeper?' And build around that one. (And build a second system around the other one!) ;)

So that we don't derail this thread further I have started another about this issue. I couldn't wait until winter. See it here

R S

Mar 13, 2021
So that we don't derail this thread further I have started another about this issue. I couldn't wait until winter. See it here
Subscribed!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
am curious about which companies use the most over the top and advanced manufacturing techniques to make their tube amps as premium and “luxury” a product as possible.
Can't speak to the luxury aspect but it seems Silbatone should be mentioned for their silver foil transformers ( and crazy WE museum as a reference ) yet perhaps the most interesting development is their 'Neohyb' circuit which it would appear that Morrison and Broskie invented in similar times and which it also appears that Aries Cerat is now developing as well- at least from an advancement of the art perspective....

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Ångstrom audio lab
Innovative Audio
Audiomat

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
Valve Amplification Company (VAC)

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden

bob82

Dec 12, 2019

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing