Toilet talk. The most non-discussed topic on any forum.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't believe I have ran across a wooden soft close. Wooden Ivory yes but not soft close.

Tom

I have one on my first Champion 4 and I just ordered one for the new one in linen color.

Church has a wooden soft close and so does Toto and they come in colors to match the porcelain.

The wood is much more durable than the plastic and it just feels more solid.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Toilets can go well above $3,000. There is actually a guy who is Mr. Toilet believe it or not on one of the forums when I was researching what to buy. Folks argue about the Toilets there just like we argue about audio here :).

Back to Tom's original post, I got schooled on toilets by my builder and bought one of the tall toilets (Kohler). Realized as with Tom that it was nicer to sit on and it is amazing how it can clean the bowl with so little water. Only to have my wife who is much shorter than me complain that her legs nearly dangle when she used it! We have his and hers sinks. Didn't think about his and hers toilets. :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The Toto wood soft close in various colors was $180 list, but I saw it online for about $120 someplace.

I got the Church wood soft close in linen color for $49 which included tax and shipping from Lowes. I think I'll like it. It wasn't worth my driving to the store to save about $6 in shipping.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Toilets can go well above $3,000. There is actually a guy who is Mr. Toilet believe it or not on one of the forums when I was researching what to buy. Folks argue about the Toilets there just like we argue about audio here :).
You mean "does fluid dynamics explain everything about the flush?" :)

Back to Tom's original post, I got schooled on toilets by my builder and bought one of the tall toilets (Kohler). Realized as with Tom that it was nicer to sit on and it is amazing how it can clean the bowl with so little water. Only to have my wife who is much shorter than me complain that her legs nearly dangle when she used it! We have his and hers sinks. Didn't think about his and hers toilets. :D
Haha! One thing my wife & I do is NOT keep our toothbrushes in the bathroom but in a separate room where there is no toilet. We did this after realising that airborne particulates are concentrated in rooms with working toilets. You wouldn't dream of keeping your cutlery/plates/cups/etc. in there so why a toothbrush? :)

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
John, you don't know your Navier-Stokes from your Prandtl Layer. And as for your insistence on the superiority of long-term toileting...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . Haha! One thing my wife & I do is NOT keep our toothbrushes in the bathroom but in a separate room where there is no toilet. We did this after realising that airborne particulates are concentrated in rooms with working toilets. You wouldn't dream of keeping your cutlery/plates/cups/etc. in there so why a toothbrush? :)

The truth is you are somewhere between being overly cautious and fooling yourself.

There are germs from flatulence, sneezing and coughing and every place imaginable everywhere. The germs you think you are avoiding by not keeping your toothbrushes in the bathroom are already in your mouth. How do you think they got to the bottom end in the first place? Besides, they are YOUR normal bacteria and there really aren't that many that go through the air.

Bacteria don't grow well on a dry toothbrush. Many people I have seen have toothpaste encrusted, wet toothbrushes. Wash them under running water when your done and rap them against the sink or something to shake out the water and let it dry. Trust me, you'll be fine.

I believe at last count, there are over 1100 species of bacteria that have been found growing in the mouth.

Oh, yeah, getting those germs established in your body IS something you can blame on your parents!

You don't need those ultraviolet toothbrush sanitizers either.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I built a house a few years ago and was able to choose all my plumbing fixtures. I remember seeing a video from a Chinese toilet maker that impressed me. I didn't buy the product because I was concerned about possibly poor parts and service in the USA. I believe the company (Danze) has re-emerged and is now widely distributed in Lowe's and several national plumbing supply distributors. Their latest video is impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFegV2ScacE
The 36 golf ball flush really impressed me!
Not to be outdone by the Chinese, American Standard has come out with a pretty good flushing demo of its own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFYx_i_Nzc
I mean 4 cell phones? Really?
That said, I ended up going with Toto products. As anyone who has visited Japan knows, the Japanese have a reverence for water that is unequalled. Toto plumbing fixtures are made with that same exceptional attitude. They work superbly and are competitively priced.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
John, you don't know your Navier-Stokes from your Prandtl Layer. And as for your insistence on the superiority of long-term toileting...
Ah, in this case I find long-term toileting gives me haemorrhoids so I'm for quick A/Blutions

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
The truth is you are somewhere between being overly cautious and fooling yourself.

There are germs from flatulence, sneezing and coughing and every place imaginable everywhere. The germs you think you are avoiding by not keeping your toothbrushes in the bathroom are already in your mouth. How do you think they got to the bottom end in the first place? Besides, they are YOUR normal bacteria and there really aren't that many that go through the air.

Bacteria don't grow well on a dry toothbrush. Many people I have seen have toothpaste encrusted, wet toothbrushes. Wash them under running water when your done and rap them against the sink or something to shake out the water and let it dry. Trust me, you'll be fine.

I believe at last count, there are over 1100 species of bacteria that have been found growing in the mouth.

Oh, yeah, getting those germs established in your body IS something you can blame on your parents!

You don't need those ultraviolet toothbrush sanitizers either.
You are probably correct, Gary & I'm not one for overly sanitised living as exposure to a good variety of bacteria (within reason) from a young age builds a robust immune system & serves one well for the rest of your life.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You are probably correct, Gary & I'm not one for overly sanitised living as exposure to a good variety of bacteria (within reason) from a young age builds a robust immune system & serves one well for the rest of your life.

Occasionally riding a big city subway system is also good for strengthening the immune system.

--------------------------

Back on the toilet issue, the economically priced Church wood/soft close seat arrived with my UPS deliveries today. It matches the toilet color perfectly and has a solid feel to it.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That's even a bigger waste than the gold foil flakes in Goldschlager liqueur!

I hope that toilet paper holder is well anchored in the wall because that much gold would weigh about 22 kg. [1200 cc volume of the TP roll x 19.3g/cc]

I used to like sheeting flakes of the slager...goes back to my college dayz.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
toilet49.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing