Toilet talk. The most non-discussed topic on any forum.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all, this thread is not about trash talking, politics or potty mouth. It's actually about toilets. Yes, toilets. I will admit that this is something I have never talked about before in public BUT (no pun intended) I have ran across some things worthy of discussion concerning the plain ol' everyday toilet.

Please allow me to digress. Whist at Home Depot a couple of months ago, I noticed a toilet that was on display at an incredible (to me) price tag. $300 USD. :eek:

The first words out of my mouth were "My word, who in the hell would pay THAT much for a freakin' toilet of all things. That's just plain insanity!". This was spoken to members of the Pro desk, of which I am a pro-member. Now I am sitting there thinking to myself that normal toilets go for anywhere around 90 to maybe 150 and after all, they are "just" toilets. I thought the design meant everything and that the design justified the cost. In other words, the fancier the design, the more modern it looked, the more expensive it was....but after all, it's still "just" a toilet. One would be throwing out perfectly good money that could be better spent on high end gear, right?

At least that's where my mindset was when I blurted out those words. ;)

The guys at the desk came back with, "You want it, it's yours for 20 bucks. As is". Actually, there were two toilets there. One for $300 and one for $200. They said that I could have both for $40 if I took them out of the store now as is. They explained to me that they were the display models that were sitting up on the shelf high above most human hands and that they needed to get rid of them. Well, truth be told, I was in the market for two toilets but not at that kind of price range. My word, it's just a toilet, right?

WRONG!

Long story short, I purchased both toilets at an incredibly low price of 20 bucks a pop. Admittedly, this was well below the normal price of a 90-$150.00 toilet so I was pleased at the deal. Anyone would be, I would imagine. They sat in my garage for a short stint and then I went ahead and installed them. WOW! (Never thought I would say that about, of all things, a toilet)

The cheaper one flushed like the other one in my house.......count to yourself......"one one-thousand, two......

Already flushed. Before you could say "two-one thousand". It was done with the deed and moving on with life. This, from what I understand is a "high performance toilet". Okay, cool. So now I have two high performance toilets (which by the way NEVER clog) Good deal, especially the second toilet for $20. Nice!

So, I go to install this thing they call a "Vortex". This one was the ridiculously priced toilet at $300. Whatever....I'm thinking that it's just a fancier version of another run of the mill high performance toilet.

WRONG AGAIN!

This baby does what IMO every toilet should do. It does the quick flush but it swirls the waste around the entire bowl quickly, as it cleans. Key words, *as it cleans*. Two months have gone by and we have yet to break out the scuba gear to clean the bowl of this toilet. It really is "self clean". It looks today as if we just installed it today and we haven't lifted one finger to clean the bowl. Not one. A quick wipe to remove "spray" from our 5 year old child on the bowl lid every once in a while and that's it. Once again, flushed and cleaned in "one one thousand, two...*flushed and done*

The kicker with this toilet is that when it goes to refill the water in the tank, it's like they sealed the tank lid way better than any other toilet I have ever experienced. The decibel level is that of a 58db dishwasher. In other words, you can't even hear it, even if you are standing right next to it as it refills the tank, so when I say it's "done"? I mean it, it's done. About a second and a half of soft noise water washing and the bad is gone and life goes on, even if your wife is sleeping not too far away. This is great for those nights when duty calls and the bathroom you choose to use is nearby your better half. Not once has my wife woke when I went for a midnight or later potty break, which is not an easy feat considering she wakes easily. Very easily.

Okay, enough with my glowing reviews of these above par performers of one of the the dirtiest tasks of the household. Now down to some other aspects that I can really dig....once again, not expected from a "toilet"

The Vortex sits at a higher level than the normal $90-150 toilet. This, for a 6' tall man, is a blessing in disguise and more than welcome. I never knew that toilets could come in different heights, I had always thought that they were all standard unless perhaps you special ordered one or something. The other one still sits higher but is so close to normal height, it wouldn't matter to most IMO. The other thing about both toilets is something I had always seen at a higher price but still scoffed at. That being the soft close lids. This is something I had always turned a blind eye too but knowing now what I know..... $40-$50 for a toilet seat! Are you kidding me? This had always been my thought process.

Well, truth be told, after a month of the soft close toilet seats? I wouldn't have anything less now. I couldn't tell you how many times I dropped the toilet seat by accident in the middle of the night (or anytime for that matter), disturbing, interrupting or waking up other family members. At O'dark 30, who's paying attention to placing the toilet seat back down softly anyway? Not a concern anymore.

So, after this long...and I am sure boring rant about the one thing we never talk about here at the WBF, my point is that all toilets are NOT created equal. I never knew this until recently but I thought I would share my little bit of trivial poop.

No pun intended. ;)

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, MiTT and good morning to you. I am not a big fan of the push button toilets for some reason. They are cool looking, I'll give them that but just not for "me". I guess I'm old school and while I don't like the standard toilet levers, the upgraded levers I had installed on all of the toilets in out last pad made flushing kinda cool. The feel of a heavy weight bar and ORB handle to where you don't even feel any hint of when the chain lifts the flapper is spot on to my preferences. It's kinda like opening a high quality French lever style door knob....just smooth and solid with zero play. A "manly" toilet lever, if you will. This type of flushing mechanism is where my preferences lie and I do plan to install upgraded toilet levers to all of the toilets in this household as well.

I think it all boiled down to a couple of times where I went to go flush while still on the head. If the button is on the middle of the top of the lid, one has to be a human contortionist to reach it. I will do this (flush in the middle of the unpleasantness) while still on the throne to immediately get rid of some of the "fragrances" dropped off at the pool. Then there is the fact that a couple of other times, I had to "feel" around the toilet during low light conditions to find the button. Especially when the button is "hidden" around to the side. That's the last thing I want to do, feel around a toilet that is. I can find a lever in complete darkness, whilst seated, with one finger and that's all I have to touch.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How comfortable is the seat?

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Further proof of how much we're ripped off for stuff in Ireland: I consider that really cheap for a toilet. We've just bought one for 450 euro, not including 100+ euro for a seat.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
My concern would be that if it fills back up ready to flush too quickly, that the overflow can handle that amount of water coming into the tank, on a conventional toilet, if you have the incoming water pressure too high, that there is a failure in the infeed water shut off valve, then if the drain can not keep up with the incoming water pressure then water flows out of the tank top and you have a flood.

What's up, Tom? The entire insides of the Vortex model has been redesigned. There are actually two flappers, both of them are over sized for fast flow. One is for the normal flush, if you will and the other is for the rinsing of the top edges of the bowl itself on down in a vortex pattern. The wo combined work wonders in comparison to a standard toilet. As for the overflow within the tank, all models I have incorporate a 1" ID drain pipe that leads directly into the tank for any kind of malfunction. This prevents any kind of flooding unless you are feeding the toilet with an over sized garden hose. BTW, neither of them fill the tank quicker, they just flush quicker.

Lee, I completely missed the "funny" part of MiTT's comment this morning. Perhaps I should drink my coffee before I start reading 'cause I "get it" now. :D Idgit (me) DOH!

Johnny, the seat itself is just plastic on both models. They have been redesigned but offer no more comfort than any other toilet seat, regardless of material used (padded seats excluded) but now that you mention it.....there is one thing I really like about the toilet seat on the Vortex. It has this little tab on the front right of the seat itself to lift both the seat and cover up with minimal contact that's out of the typical "spray" area. Never thought something so small in a design would make me happy.

Tom

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Our home here in Oregon came with one of those TOTO heated toilet seats with bidet functions (front/rear washing, heated air blow drying) which at first I thought was just a gimmick. Well, a heated toilet seat is just fine with me, I'll tell ya, and my wife now could not imagine being without it. And while the washing functions are a little over the top, i occasionally make use of that too. Its less wierd than you might think. Those in Europe are likely much more familiar, where a bidet in the USA is pretty uncommon.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Our home here in Oregon came with one of those TOTO heated toilet seats with bidet functions (front/rear washing, heated air blow drying) which at first I thought was just a gimmick. Well, a heated toilet seat is just fine with me, I'll tell ya, and my wife now could not imagine being without it. And while the washing functions are a little over the top, i occasionally make use of that too. Its less wierd than you might think. Those in Europe are likely much more familiar, where a bidet in the USA is pretty uncommon.

Bidet is more popular and common in some countries, like Japan.

Just be careful in using some models with a lot of buttons and functions

If you're a guy, never press these two buttons - AKR and ATI :D

AKR - Automatic Kotex Remover

ATI - Automatic Tampon Inserter

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Don't forget the

Charmin.jpg

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Not bad, but the Ultra Strong is better. ;)

My city offers a rebate to install low water use toilets so I have been considering it lately. My upstairs already has a 1.6 gpf and I plan on upgrading it to a #1/#2 dual-flush but the old one downstairs has to go...

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Further proof of how much we're ripped off for stuff in Ireland: I consider that really cheap for a toilet. We've just bought one for 450 euro, not including 100+ euro for a seat.

What about the cost of toilet paper in Ireland Vs US?
I looked up cost of toilet paper in US & found this (which I thought interesting)
"In 1996, President Clinton passed a law on toilet paper, taxing each roll 6 cents and increasing the price of the product to 30 cents per roll. The price of toilet paper has not been this costly since the Desert Storm War in 1990."

I wonder what the cost is now? Do we pay more for the privilege of wiping our a****, in Ireland ?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
It turns out that I am not a big fan of Charmin. Used to be because of the softness but softness -vs- durability -vs- wipe ability -vs- true cost led me to this;

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-bath-tissue-fq-45-roll-220-sheets/prod15160022.ip?navAction=push

Best of all worlds IME and at that price, we stock up all bathrooms of the house with some extras out in the garage because you never know what you have until it's gone. Toilet paper most definitely is one of those items. ;)

Mosin, I guess you were right. Never knew there was a forum for this subject. Weird man. Very weird IMO. You are right about the other aspect as well, "collections" from interior design shops have outrageously priced porcelain gods. Still, $300 (to me) is well beyond what I would have paid for a John.

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'm not a fan of Charmin either, but Gail is. Years ago when I used to buy stuff at Costco for my parents, my mother also used to like Charmin. From my experience with Charmin, it is very absorbent, but not durable. We men are more interested in wiping power than absorbency. I like Costco's Kirkland toilet paper. It plenty absorbent and had good wiping strength. Because of our preferences, we're a two toilet paper household!

Regarding elongated bowl toilets, the very best flushing home toilet I have ever seen and owned (and I'm buying another one this week to replace an old 3.5 gallon toilet unless someone can tell me the name of a better one) is the American Standard Champion 4 (1.6 gallon) in a one piece design. They aren't cheap, but they aren't $4000 like some gilded or heated bidet seat combinations. It beats the crap out of the Kohler Class 5 models (no pun intended, really :D ) which don't clean the sides of the bowl well at all. I know. I owned one until I replaced it with a Champion 4 several years ago. In fairness to the Kohler, the inner perimeter of the porcelain bowl is slightly larger than the American Standard (while the seats are the same) so men need to aim ever so slightly more carefully with the American Standard.

While I'm on the topic of bidets, the American Standard we have have had for the last 15 years is MUCH nicer than the Kohler that it replaced. The American Standard has a valve switch that lets you run water through the porcelain rim to heat the rim and wash the bowl while the old Kohler we had did not have that feature. (Maybe Kohler does now.) I have learned that after an afternoon quickie, women don't like to sit on cold porcelain. :p

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
The very next time there is a serious thread where one you let's his ego run rampant, I am going to make the following post, so fair warning....

"Remember the toilet thread?" :D :D :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I like Costco's Kirkland toilet paper. It plenty absorbent and had good wiping strength.
That is our choice too until yesterday when the guy pumping out our septic tank said it doesn't disintegrate on its own and should not be used in septic tanks! Plan to run a scientific experiment to prove if he is right or wrong. :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We have sewers, so that hasn't been a problem for us. As much as I don't like Charmin, it does disintegrate easy.

As long as the Kirkland doesn't clog your pipes and you can pump your septic tank, what does it matter? Is pumping a septic tank expensive?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing