Interesting, but this horn looks too small to get comfortably down to 200Hz. Usually a horn that low is huge.
Tobian Sound Systems have been finalising our 18FH horn speaker
Below are some words from Designer & CEO Günter Tobian:View attachment 92221
From a time perspective, the development of the 18FH started in 1986 as my private project and something I was pursuing, to finalize to my liking since then. Sometimes great things need a sufficient time frame and effort to materialize in exceptional form and resulting performance.
When Tobian Soundsystems GmbH was founded 2002, I launched the first 18FH with a coaxial chassis for the mid-high horn and a 15" woofer for the bass horn - which formed a three-way horn system. However, it has always been my wish to develop a true two-way horn speaker, one that avoids the need for a crossover in the crucial mid-high range from 200Hz to 20KHz.
Taking into account the new developments in technologies, materials available, construction and production possibilities in the last few years, there were three construction and development phases for our 18FH project.
View attachment 92224
We managed to develop completely new and unique things for this particular speaker, here's a few crucial developments:
• Compression driver that would work down to the magic limit of 200Hz.
• Completely new 20" inch (50cm) CD horn, which is able to reproduce lower cut-off frequencies, required for our measurements.
• 16" woofer, powerful and sensitive enough to support this exceptional horn in the lower octaves down to 20Hz.
• Our goal of a 100% analog crossover for the Woofer, with handmade extreme chokes of up to 13kg which are therefore very resilient and extremely stable and are able to convert any kind of power optimally into force.
• A newly developed back loaded horn chassis made from four different types of wood. The entire construction is made without using any screws and bolts, rather with the use of glues in order to avoid any resonances in the housing. With this technique an enclosure does not have to be overly heavy to control resonances.
View attachment 92229
View attachment 92223
Thus the 18FH speaker project became my passionA horn speaker capable of sensitively reproducing any style of music, regardless of volume. Listening to music that sweeps you away and touches you emotionally, while offering a live musical experience in your own home, making you addicted for more!
This has led Tobian Soundsystems to where we are today, a manufacturer that develops and designs everything in-house. Our suppliers are exclusively Swiss entrepreneurs with the exception of our audio connectors which we source from Germany.
View attachment 92231
View attachment 92230
If you have any question about our exciting new speaker, please feel free to ask!