Thorens New TT

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Is it possible to run the tonearm wire directly into the phono stage? Not loving the XLR connection, especially at this price point. And what is the price?

Seismion is a no brainer: I have several and the improvement was tremendous. At about $5k, it should be under as many components as possible.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
The present state of the art for TT/Arm design is focused on visuals and the emotional response they invoke. Mild homage is paid to the importance of sonic performance, but most of the modern high end designs are driven by visual impact and exclusivity. That’s my $.02.

Reactions: miniguy

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
^What causes your lack of love for XLR, @Zeotrope ? It’s used for microphone and they are electrically similar to pickup cartridges.

TLi

May 27, 2016
The boss of Thorens, Gunter Kurten, said initial response for New Refernce is very good. He has a few orders for it already.

Attachments

• IMG_2925.jpeg
    IMG_2925.jpeg
    768.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Pricing strategy is very curious indeed: The original Reference cost $20K in today’s dollars ($5000 USD in 1980).
Thorens adds a Seismion base (~$5k), and charges nearly 10X more for the re-issue. Wow.

The Nagra TT is almost sold out of its 70 unit run, but that’s nearly $100k less expensive than the Thorens.
When you get into the $200k+ range, you’re selling Very few units a year…

TLi

May 27, 2016
I was told the retail price is 220,000 euro including the two tonearms and phono cables

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
That’s a part of the attraction. Matt Weisfeld once said in an interview that once you’d bought in at the $6k level, everything higher was audio jewelry.

I don’t necessarily agree with this, but obviously you don’t actually NEED a six figure TT. It’s a great WANT though.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
That’s a part of the attraction. Matt Weisfeld once said in an interview that once you’d bought in at the $6k level, everything higher was audio jewelry.

I don’t necessarily agree with this, but obviously you don’t actually NEED a six figure TT. It’s a great WANT though.
Right, I don’t disagree.
And I am “guilty” of buying into this as well with my Nagra TT.
Pricing strategy is always very interesting to me from a business standpoint. Thorens has a complete line of TTs of course, so their “statement piece” must be priced high. Sadly, many will discount its performance outright it if it isn’t one of the most expensive tables.
I would love to hear how it compares to the AF1, OMA K3, and SAT!

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Right, I don’t disagree.
And I am “guilty” of buying into this as well with my Nagra TT.
Pricing strategy is always very interesting to me from a business standpoint. Thorens has a complete line of TTs of course, so their “statement piece” must be priced high. Sadly, many will discount its performance outright it if it isn’t one of the most expensive tables.
I would love to hear how it compares to the AF1, OMA K3, and SAT!
Thorens are masters. I expect that it will compete well.

Nagra was my first exposure to ultra quality tape recording equipment. We used their portable tape decks for field recordings back in the early ‘70s. Nagra and Bruel og Kjaer were the go to companies for top lab grade equipment.

Seismion

Dec 9, 2021
Hannover, Germany
seismion.com
Pricing strategy is very curious indeed: The original Reference cost $20K in today’s dollars ($5000 USD in 1980).
Thorens adds a Seismion base (~$5k), and charges nearly 10X more for the re-issue. Wow.

The Nagra TT is almost sold out of its 70 unit run, but that’s nearly $100k less expensive than the Thorens.
The active vibration isolation unit from Seismion, which is built into the Thorens New Reference, is not the same as our Seismion Reactio. The general principle is the same, but there are several modifications/improvements:
- higher isolation performance
- adjusted to a higher payload range
- adaptive leveling with precision of approx. 20 µm
- further improved electronics with minimal noise in the audible frequency range.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
No doubt; but my point was directed towards Thorens and their pricing strategy. I just don’t understand the justification of pricing this new Reference at 10X the price of the original Reference. I’ll be looking for a second table and currently own a Nagra TT; but this pricing is crazy.
I think manufacturers are preferring to recoup their R&D costs and earn their target profit from fewer units, assuming that the higher the price the higher the perceived performance.

thekong

May 10, 2012
Well, while I don’t like the seemingly crazy pricing of current top TTs, I also don’t quite understand the rationale behind comparing pricing of the two top Thorens models which are marketed decades apart! Basically, different products, different technologies, different markets all together!

As a reference, if I remember correctly, the original Thorens Reference was the world’s most expensive TT when it was introduced, and the new Thorens Reference far from it!

Reactions: TLi and mtemur

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
It does seem like Thorens priced it relative to the other top tables, rather than from a "cost +" standpoint. From their own marketing: it was priced 'in the middle between the OMA K3 and the Nagra Reference'. This tells me that pricing was set based on the market, not based on their cost plus their target profit.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Ultra high end turntables don’t sell in any volume, probably less than a hundred in the entire cycle.

The pricing has to reflect on that.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Lower selling price = more units sold, and the volume growth is exponential as the price drops.

I'm guilty of this as well, as an owner of the Nagra TT; but it's sad that we've come to the point where a component cannot be one of the best, unless it has a price tag in the high 6-figures.

The original Thorens Reference cost about $20k in today's dollars.

Reactions: Another Johnson

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ultra high end turntables don’t sell in any volume, probably less than a hundred in the entire cycle.

The pricing has to reflect on that.

Yes. There were 14 American Sound AS2000s made. DDK has two, the other twelve belong to customers. The design is based foremost on sound quality, but another major consideration was extreme reliability and ease of in the field owner serviceability and long term maintenance should it ever be needed. Simplicity in the service of sonics and reliability.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing