Thin leather mat suggestion

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Would like to seek recommendation for thin leather mat ala the Micro Seiki AS-1. I have the AudioSilente leather mat but if possible would like something thinner. Appreciate any inputs/leads.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I don't have any leads ( sorry ) however am curious how you like the AudioSilente leather mat. Have been thinking to buy one...

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
@Solypsa - the AudioSilente is high quality. However, compared to the Micro mat, it is significantly thicker. I like the Micro mat but mine is the doughnut shape that is used with its own vacuum platter. I think I hear the thickness effects so I am looking for something thinner to try. Micro's own leather mat for regular platter is too expensive to try.

@Shuggie - looking like it, thanks for the suggestion! Do you use it yourself? How do you like it?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You can contact Stefano Bertoncello @ Twogoodears - I think he does thin leather mats.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
@Solypsa - the AudioSilente is high quality. However, compared to the Micro mat, it is significantly thicker. I like the Micro mat but mine is the doughnut shape that is used with its own vacuum platter. I think I hear the thickness effects so I am looking for something thinner to try. Micro's own leather mat for regular platter is too expensive to try.

@Shuggie - looking like it, thanks for the suggestion! Do you use it yourself? How do you like it?
I prefer the Funk Achromat, but the Zavfino leather mat is very good on top of a rubber mat, which otherwise on its own often results in a rather 'rubbery' sound character.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I prefer the Funk Achromat, but the Zavfino leather mat is very good on top of a rubber mat, which otherwise on its own often results in a rather 'rubbery' sound character.
Can you please explain a "rubbery" sound versus a "non rubbery" sound.

• Haha
Reactions: ddk

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Can you please explain a "rubbery" sound versus a "non rubbery" sound.
Simple - rubber mats seem to me to impart a heavily damped sound character that robs 'life' and 'vibrancy' from the music. Rubber mats are great for folks who obsess about their platters 'ringing' and never listen to any alternatives, but otherwise they are a cheap to produce option that's not often the best for sound quality. I will make an exception to this broad statement - the original Thorens TD-124 hard, ribbed rubber mat is by far the best sounding option on those decks, but it's hard rubber, so not quite the same thing as most soft rubber mats.

As always in this business, it pays to be open minded and ultimately to trust your ears. What sounds best is best.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thanks for the explanation. The TT equivalent of sorbathane isolation pucks.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: jeff1225

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Simple - rubber mats seem to me to impart a heavily damped sound character that robs 'life' and 'vibrancy' from the music. Rubber mats are great for folks who obsess about their platters 'ringing' and never listen to any alternatives, but otherwise they are a cheap to produce option that's not often the best for sound quality.
I don't agree. The platter pad's job is to control resonance in the LP caused by the stylus tracking the grooves. If the mat is too soft, the vinyl depresses and might sound rolled off. If its too hard, might be too bright. The pad should be the same durometer as the LP in order to absorb vibration and prevent coloration. It helps if the pad reduces resonance in the platter too.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
they´re Hiraga clones made from hard baby pig skin....I have 3 here, but haven´t tried them yet
Spare one for crispy roasting. Taste great dipping with sweet soy sauce. Eat together with chinese bun.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing