There is a new king in town! Motorola Droidx

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't know if I have ever read such a positive review of any phone beside iphone! I use my phone as a mini computer browsing this site, doing lots of email, etc. so the larger size doesn't bother me. Still, will have to look at it to be sure next to HTC Incredible.

Amir

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365630,00.asp

The Motorola Droid X is excellent. It's also a little excessive. This Hummer humdinger of a phone delivers the absolute maximum in state-of-the-art Android power, at the cost of stretching the joint between your thumb and your other four fingers. The Droid X will be one of the first phones to run Adobe Flash when a software upgrade arrives later this summer, and its features and quality set a standard for how other Android phones should perform. It gets our Editor's Choice for Verizon smartphones, although there are now a bunch of strong Android-powered choices on Verizon's network.

As Apple pursues the dream of the One Perfect Phone, it's fascinating to see Google Android evolve into the operating system of the Many Perfectly Good Enough Phones. On my desk right now, in descending order of size, are the Droid X, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Droid Incredible, and HTC Aria ($129.99, ). Each one is basically usable—and at least somewhat similar—but they each have something to recommend them. Together, they make the world of smartphones more exciting, and more enticing than it has ever been.

Physical Features and Call Quality
The Droid X is big iron. In terms of surface area, it's the largest phone available in the US today. At 5 by 2.6 by .4 inches (HWD), it's 0.2 inches longer than the HTC EVO 4G ($299.99, ), which is already pretty large. The Droid X's size is only played up by the camera hump on the back. The HTC Droid Incredible ($299.99, ) looks like a child next to the X. Small hands will not hold this phone comfortably. But it's relatively thin and light, considering its size.

The 4.3-inch, 854 by 480 screen is beautiful to look at, and it's slightly higher resolution than the 800 by 480 panels on other Android super-phones. It's not quite an iPhone 4 ($199.99-699, N/R) "retina screen," but it's as high resolution as anyone will need. Below the vast screen are four hardware buttons.

I'm no fan of touch keyboards, but if you're going to have a touch keyboard, you might as well make it large. The Droid X's keyboard is perfectly adequate, enhanced by the cultish Swype text-entry method, which lets you quickly write words without picking up your finger. Swype is great unless most of your text entry is typing URLs, passwords, or proper names.

Motorola has always made phone call quality a priority, and they try a new trick on the Droid X: three microphones, two used for noise cancellation. The trick works: I didn't get any background noise on the other end of calls made with the X, even when I made the calls standing next to a roaring city bus. RF reception was also spectacular. Thanks to the huge antennas, the Droid X was able to eke out a call where the Incredible failed.

The Droid X paired easily with my Aliph Jawbone Icon ($99, ) Bluetooth headset and—wonder of wonders!—triggered voice dialing over Bluetooth, a rare feature on an Android phone. Voice recognition was pretty accurate.

For data, the Droid X uses Verizon's EVDO Rev A network, and I got excellent download speeds. The phone works as a WPA2-protected, 802.11g Wi-Fi hotspot for up to five devices, and I fetched up to 2 Mbps down on a PC, although uploads seemed capped around 350 kbps. Hotspot use costs $20/month over your standard service plan, and you only get 2 GB of hotspot usage before you start being charged $50/GB extra. Motorola said the phone has a USB tethering mode, but I didn't find it in the USB options.

The large 1570 mAh battery delivered more than eight hours of talk time in our preliminary tests, and battery tests are still ongoing. I anticipate that this phone will have much better battery life overall than the HTC Evo; the large screen means it will probably still need to be recharged every day, but I'm confident in saying the battery won't be a deal-breaker. An even larger, 1930 mAh extended battery which is 1mm thicker will be available at launch as an add-on accessory.

Operating System and Software
The Droid X runs Android 2.1 with the latest version of Motorola's MotoBlur extensions, designed to be less intrusive than the software on phones like the Motorola CLIQ ($199.99, ). The Droid X offers a single interface to sign into a bunch of different kinds of accounts: Google, Yahoo! Mail, various other mail services, Microsoft Exchange, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and photo sharing services. An Android 2.2 update that supports Adobe Flash 10.1 is coming later this summer, Motorola says.

Google and Exchange calendars get integrated, and your address book also mixes in Facebook, Twitter and MySpace friends. When you click to a contact card, you can see all of a friend's updates; you can also select just one of your phone books if the whole mixed list is too overwhelming.

Blur's universal inbox treats Facebook and MySpace emails and Twitter DMs as emails, mixing them in with your other messages. I think that's great.

Where Blur falls short, though, is in up-to-the-minute updates of Twitter and rich support for Facebook walls. It's just no substitute for dedicated clients. Built-in home screen widgets show slightly stale Twitter updates and stripped-down Facebook posts, but they leave you behind in fast-moving conversations.

And no, there's no way to turn off Blur. However, if you don't sign into various accounts, it won't aggregate that information.

Blur may also be a drag on performance; I had occasional freezes and slowdowns using this phone, and I didn't see faster Web browsing speeds on the Droid X compared to the Incredible.

That's a pity, because the Droid X's 1 Ghz TI OMAP 3630 processor is the fastest I've benchmarked—faster than Qualcomm's Snapdragon. I use four freeware benchmarks on Android phones: BenchmarkPi, CaffeineMark, LinPack, Softweg and Neocore. (Why those four? Because they were the only ones available when I started benchmarking Android devices last year.) The first three focus on CPU performance, the fourth mixes in memory and filesystem performance, and the last simulates a 3D game. The Droid X beat all other Android devices on every raw benchmark, including 3D gaming performance. (Synthetic benchmarks like these can't be used to compare different OS platforms.)

You'll find the usual Android services on here, including the latest version of Google Maps Navigation. The Droid X's GPS locked onto my location quickly and easily and delivered spoken directions. I downloaded a range of apps from Android Market without a problem.

AT&T, take notice: the Droid X has zero bloatware. Rather than littering the phone with extra-cost services, Verizon nicely tucks them under a "Verizon" channel in the Android market.

Multimedia and Conclusions
The Droid X is a fine music phone, but it's really big if you're looking for a device to primarily play music on. With 8 GB of built-in memory and one 16GB microSD card included, there's plenty of room for your media. The phone plays AAC, MP3, WMA and WAV music, and syncs with doubleTwist (Free, ) on the desktop, as well as with Verizon's own free V CAST Media Manager. (doubleTwist is better.) Music sounded rich and clear through wired or stereo Bluetooth headphones. If you don't feel like loading your own music, there's an FM radio with 15 presets.

The Droid X's 8-megapixel camera is one of the best I've seen on a phone. I like its still photos more than the EVO's or Incredible's; it deals better with wide dynamic range in daylight shots, and takes sharp photos in good light with more subtle delineation of textures. Low-light photos are softer than the Incredible's, though, possibly because the Droid X's flash is a bit weaker.

The phone lacks a front-facing camera, but I don't see that as a huge problem right now; Android video-calling software is buggy and hard to use. That said, I streamed Qik video one way without a problem.

As promised, the Droid X captures 720p video at 24 frames per second, which played smoothly on my Mac and PC, although I couldn't play it on the very phone I captured it with.

The Droid X is an excellent phone for watching video, as long as you're watching it on the phone. It supports an unusually deep range of codecs—I played 480p-format files in simple MP4, H.264, WMV, and even DIVX and XVID format. YouTube videos in HQ (480p) mode streamed over Wi-Fi looked sharp, and Verizon's $10/month V CAST service has assembled a decent list of content partners. The phone will also stream full NFL games with an upcoming app.

The X's Blockbuster app turns out to be less enticing in practice than in theory. There's no subscription option, and rentals are overpriced at $4/day. (It costs $15-20 to purchase most films.) Forget about impulse viewing: it took me two hours to download "Shutter Island" over Wi-Fi. "Legal movies on your phone" sounds great on paper, but the user experience just isn't here.

The Droid X's supposed HD support also felt like a tease and a cheat. The Droid X has an HDMI output that works with standard Micro HDMI cables, same as the Sprint EVO 4G. But the HD out only works with the X's built-in photo and video gallery app—not with YouTube, nor V CAST, nor Blockbuster. And I couldn't get the phone to play any 720p videos, not even ones I recorded with the phone itself. Motorola said it was supposed to, and suggested that I had a buggy phone.

The Droid X gets our nod over the HTC Droid Incredible because of its better camera, Bluetooth voice dialing, Wi-Fi hotspot mode and various other built-in apps. But the Droid X isn't for everyone: this phone is huge. Its performance is close enough to the Incredible's that I'm still very comfortable recommending that the smaller-pawed go for the HTC smartphone, unless you need a specific Droid X feature. Folks looking for a great Verizon smartphone with a hardware keyboard should probably wait for the Motorola Droid 2, which Motorola's CEO Sanjay Jha promised us months ago.

The Motorola Droid X goes on sale July 15 for $299.99 with a two-year contract, minus a $100 mail-in rebate. All Verizon Wireless customers with contracts ending in 2010 are eligible for the $299.99 price.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
It looks impressive. One of the phones on our family plan is a DROID but it's too soon to upgrade. The concern I have is the size. These things are getting bigger and bigger and it's getting harder to cram one into a pocket.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hear you. Half the time I am holing my phone, putting it on a table, or storing it in the bag. My new car has a spot for it too and I leave it there. And of course, half the time come home and leave it still in the car!

Still, a large display makes touch typing easier which is the most annoying thing on current Moto Droid. Think of this platform as min-iPad :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Somewhat related to this thread:

AT&T, Verizon Battle Supply Issues

By NIRAJ SHETH and SARA SILVER wsj
AT&T Inc. said it won't have any of the new iPhones available until five days after they go on sale Thursday, as supply issues continue to complicate the launch of the popular Apple Inc. phone.
Meanwhile, rival Verizon Wireless is set to pull the sheets off its newest flagship smartphone Wednesday, at a time when its current top phone is on backorder until late July.

The country's top wireless carrier would have been able to sell twice as many Droid Incredibles if they had been in stock, Verizon Wireless Chief Executive Lowell McAdam said at an investor conference in late May. Analysts have pointed to shortages of a touchscreen made by Samsung Electronics Co.
as a major bottleneck in getting enough phones.

On Wednesday, Verizon Wireless will unveil the new Droid X, made by Motorola Inc. and running on Google Inc.'s Android software.

"We're comfortable that we'll be able to meet the demand," says Verizon Wireless spokeswoman Brenda Raney, citing a longstanding relationship between the carrier and Motorola. Verizon Wireless is a joint venture between Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group PLC.
A Motorola spokeswoman said the company continues "to work closely with our supply-chain partners to ensure we have appropriate supply for our customers."

‹Roger Cheng contributed to this article.
Write to Niraj Sheth at niraj.sheth@wsj.com and Sara Silver at sara.silver@wsj.com

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Must be because the iphones are shipped via Memphis :)

Health Nut

May 26, 2010
I'm buying a Droid X on August 1st. I have to wait until my new every 2 is available, otherwise I'd be first in line this Wednesday!

Can't wait!!

I would never deal with AT&T, worst customer service ever. I tried AT&T UVERSE as well and thrw them out of my house a day later. They also went from free installation to trying to charge $199.00.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have one reserved for Thursday. :) Will report how it works compared to my current Droid.

I had to get a phone for my college going son so I didn't have to worry about when the contract ran out.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, I picked up my DroidX this morning. These are my first impressions. After I use it more, I will add to this thread.

First, the buying experience. They made me think there would be a huge rush today. So I had to make an appointment to pick it up today and I did. When I showed up at 9:00am, I saw three Verizon people ready to greet me. All in all, they had 10 people in the store which is 2-3 times more than normal. My salesguy said they were open at 5:00am, and expected a line like there was for the Droid but there was none. It was clear that they expected far more demand than they got. Still, business was brisk as everyone in the store was buying one.

I was annoyed that they had precharged my account as I wanted to charge it to my business credit card. And could not find a way to back out the charge.

Beyond that though the experience is all smiles. The unit is worlds more usable than my original Droid. It is half the thickness and appears lighter. It has a huge display but overall, is no bigger than my old Droid as the display stretches to the edges of the case more than the old.

They got rid of the touch buttons for the OS navigation and replaced them with hard buttons. I kind of liked the older touch buttons better as the buttons are a bit stiff but no big deal.

The interface is changed in a way that confused me at first. To pull up the applications, you touch the up arrow button. You do not slide it up like the old OS. The older interface was not "discoverable" by users and suspect was the reason for the change. Still, I am not a fan of teaching people one way of doing things and a few months later, changing the paradigm.

The best news is that the larger display increases the usability of the touch keyboard substantially. In portrait orientation, I would mistype around 50% of the time on Droid. With DroidX, this is down to 10% and with practice, I might get better.

On the old phone, the mail app would crash with my hotmail inbox. So far, the new one is working OK. Crossing fingers.

The case has a rubberized paint on it which feels great, eliminating the need for a case to wrap it.

The quality of the LCD so far is nice. The fonts are even larger now and very, very readable.

So for now, it is a big thumbs up from me. The unit feels and looks like a larger iPhone with the same level of slickness (from the outside).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As Apple pursues the dream of the One Perfect Phone, it's fascinating to see Google Android evolve into the operating system of the Many Perfectly Good Enough Phones. On my desk right now, in descending order of size, are the Droid X, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Droid Incredible, and HTC Aria ($129.99, ). Each one is basically usable—and at least somewhat similar—but they each have something to recommend them. Together, they make the world of smartphones more exciting, and more enticing than it has ever been.

why so many phones Amir?

Do you just insert the SIM card into whichever phone you are using

Seems like a huge expense and a lot of trouble

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Actually I am pretty frugal. My son is turning 18 and going to college so we thought he should get a phone now. So I gave him my old one and bought the new.

I do have other phones that I used to use in Europe and Japan before Verizon setup roaming in many countries. But they were cheaper GSM phones which as you mentioned, I used with locally bought SIM cards.

Switchover does take a bit of effort in setting up email and downloading apps again. But not a big deal in my case. There were enough pain points with the old phone to make it worth the effort to switch over.

Finally, part of my work requires me being knowledgeable about latest technology in phones so I have to stay current.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
The case has a rubberized paint on it which feels great, eliminating the need for a case to wrap it.

Not to mention, eliminating any embarrasing antenna reception problems! :)

(I'm hoping that Apple's announcement tomorrow will address that once and for all--and not with some stupid software "fix" to appease fools by using bigger bars; what an insult to one's intelligence *that* is!)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
amir, Any technical reason you didn't wait for the Droid 2? Is having the slide-out keyboard useful or no?
Two reasons:

1. My son needed a phone now and I didn't want to buy him something else and have to buy the Droid 2 yet again later.

2. I used to be a firm believer in hard keyboards. But after being forced to use the soft one on my Droid due to poor functionality of the hard keyboard there, I started to like the touch one. It takes less physical effort to type and is faster as you don't have to slide out the keyboard every time to type something. And further, taking away the keyboard makes the unit much thinner. Now that I have the DroidX, that issue is even more clear when I compare them side by side.

Net, net, if someone is not in a hurry like I was, waiting to see Droid 2 may not be a bad idea. But otherwise, I think Droidx is best best alternative to iPhone on Verizon.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, some trouble in paradise :). As they say, size does matter. In this case, the darn phone is just a bit too wide. In a short phone call, my fingers got tired holding the phone. And I have pretty long fingers.

So if you are buying this phone, be sure to hold it like you would make a phone call and make sure it is comfortable. Playing with the apps and such doesn't bring out this problem.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
OK, some trouble in paradise :). As they say, size does matter. In this case, the darn phone is just a bit too wide. In a short phone call, my fingers got tired holding the phone. And I have pretty long fingers.

So if you are buying this phone, be sure to hold it like you would make a phone call and make sure it is comfortable. Playing with the apps and such doesn't bring out this problem.

<Steve Jobs> You're holding it wrong. </Steve Jobs> :)

(I know the quote isn't entirely accurate, but hey...)

Steve Williams

My son is a Mac Addict and I asked him his thoughts on the DroidX vs the iPhone. His brief response is below

Droid X's screen resolution is NOT the same as the iPhone. *The Droid X has a screen resolution of 480x854 (widescreen SD video). *The iPhone's resolution is 960x640 (half the resolution of 1080 video). *The Droid X has 8GBs of storage. *The iPhone has 16 or 32GBs of storage. *The Droid X supports 802.11b/g. *The iPhone supports 802.11B/G/N.

So, with more storage, a better screen, better wireless connectivity, and tens of thousands of more apps - which phone do you want?

Isn't it great to be young ?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
It sounds like the iPhone is a great computer. They should call it the iComputer, not the iPhone.

So in answer to your son's question, i.e., which "phone" do you want, my answer like many other's is easy: the one that doesn't drop calls. IMO, it is a phone, first and foremost. If it drops calls, it doesn't matter if it connects faster to the internet, does your laundry, mows the lawn or walks the dog. Get the iPhone to Verizon and now we're talkin'! (Pun intended.)

Steve Williams

It sounds like the iPhone is a great computer. They should call it the iComputer, not the iPhone.

So in answer to your son's question, i.e., which "phone" do you want, my answer like many other's is easy: the one that doesn't drop calls. IMO, it is a phone, first and foremost. If it drops calls, it doesn't matter if it connects faster to the internet, does your laundry, mows the lawn or walks the dog. Get the iPhone to Verizon and now we're talkin'! (Pun intended.)

Well here is another fact that became known today. On the Apple campus in Cupertino were discovered transmission towers, one for AT&T and the other for Verizon. What sayest you now???

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Haha, I sayeth yea! The last rumor I read was eta January '11. Now what I'd like to see is the iPhone on a Verizon 4G network.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing