The Uptone Audio EtherRegen audiophile switch

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi Everybody.
I have an issue connecting EtherRegen with my LG C9 TV.
It is very strange.
I have connected EtherRegen from router to A port and B to Server. If i connect TV to an A free port it doesn’t work, but if i connect TV (instead of server) on B port it works.
When i reverse B to A Server and TV plays perfectly but SQ decreases..

I don’t understand it.
TV connected directly to router works too.

Strange,
what happens when you connect all devices to the A-side only (B-side not used)?
Thanks

Matt

Last edited:

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Using ER as FMC is not same as A > B. For the benefit of ER, fiber optic to ER (on A side) and coming out of B side will be understandable. Other than that, using ER without going from A > B or B > A side does not make sense from manufacturing point of view. Regardless, if they saw benefit, good for them.
Now I am using keces P3 at 12 v to ER and sound quality is better, than the stock power supply.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I tried Keces P3 at 12V LPS connected to ER. I must say, it did improve a lot. Actually a lot better, and I cannot go back.
Why?
Using A to A only the ER works perfectly as a switch. for that it does not need the B-side.
I had a chat with Uptone during my initial set up, and that's what I got from him. Also, I tried myself (both with fiber optic to ER on A side and A side out, as well as ethernet cable from A > A), I found it very bright. The difference in findings could be system dependent. Again, I hope uptone can step in here and just clarify.

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
For those who are interested in connecting reference clocks (to EtherREGEN or whatever) and are confused about sine versus square waves, impedance, cables, etc., we just posted an insightful tutorial on those subjects.

It is here along with discussion:

And here is a direct link to just the 4-page paper itself:

Enjoy—and have a lovely weekend!
—Alex C.

rsbrsvp

Apr 14, 2020
I just got an OM and fiber cable along with Finnisar modules.

So far, I don't like it. Certainly more transparent, but sounds sharp.

Does burn-in change this?

I have my etherregen on a Paul Hynes SR-7T PS and a Mutec ref 10 120-SE clock.

Sounds technically superior than stock, but not a big deal like all the talk out there.

90% of the value of this product is STOCK. for thousands of dollars one can kill himself for the last 10%.- NOT recommended...

Sorry to blow all the hype- but that is what I am hearing.....

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

The sharpness is likely due to the Finisar modules. The 1318 took a while to burn this off but still sounded a bit forward. The 1324 is a better match in my system. Which model did you get?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Sounds technically superior than stock, but not a big deal like all the talk out there.

90% of the value of this product is STOCK. for thousands of dollars one can kill himself for the last 10%.- NOT recommended...

Which part of it are you calling hype? And how many hours do you have on all this?

It comes off as a bit of a personal attack to claim that some have hyped the benefits. A better power supply for the ER delivered more than the last 10% in my system and many others. I spent $600 in a Farad that was most certainly worth the cost.

rsbrsvp

Apr 14, 2020
Well, I just see that my etherregen did for me- which was alot and the SR-7T PS -to my ears added, but not alot. 10% maybe is an underexaggerating, but I have seen posts of people claiming a PS doubled the benefit of their ER, and to my ears- this is simply NOT so.

The external clock helped as well, but the difference is not huge to my ears.

At the end of the day, all this investment in external enhancements is perhaps only worth it to the dedicated audio streamer. However, to my ears, my megabillion dollar streamer does not make streaming music as good as music playing music files from the RAM of my computer. Playing from memory is a more robust, fuller, more pleasant sound to my ears.

I would appreciate any suggestions to get streaming to sound as good as ram played music.

Sorry for being so strong in my opinion. I think I was a bit tired when I wrote that.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I was enjoying Startech FSP's until I added a Mutech Ref10 and things became harsh, bright and very detailed. After reading the Startechs could be bright I tried first Sonore FSP's then Finisar 1318's and finally Finisar 1324's. The 1324's totally changed the character of the sound, very open, detailed but not harsh. I don't know what making it sound so good now but I think adding the clock is a big part of it.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
However, to my ears, my megabillion dollar streamer does not make streaming music as good as music playing music files from the RAM of my computer. Playing from memory is a more robust, fuller, more pleasant sound to my ears.

I would appreciate any suggestions to get streaming to sound as good as ram played music.

Sorry for being so strong in my opinion. I think I was a bit tired when I wrote that.

Which streamer do you have?
Thanks

Matt

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020

Hi I used to have an OM together with my etherRegen. First of all you must give it a week or so for burn in. Then it may give you a better SQ all together. For me it wasn`t that good so I sold it . What really did big changes was when I bought the Afterdark queen square wave external clock. But this took around 1 month to sound really good. I use one Sean Jaccobs DC3 for eR and one DC2 for my clock. All systems are different and various tweaks affects differently. So above is of course my experience in my setup.

Reactions: Superdad

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Is it better to place the EtherRegen near the modem/router with a long cable run to the endpoint or near the endpoint with a long run from the modem/ router?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Is it better to place the EtherRegen near the modem/router with a long cable run to the endpoint or near the endpoint with a long run from the modem/ router?

Near the endpoint.

Reactions: rbbert

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Which streamer do you have?
Thanks

Matt
Innuos Statement, I use the Squeezelite Player option. I believe it buffers the stream and plays it from memory.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Duckworp

Oct 14, 2018
I was enjoying Startech FSP's until I added a Mutech Ref10 and things became harsh, bright and very detailed. After reading the Startechs could be bright I tried first Sonore FSP's then Finisar 1318's and finally Finisar 1324's. The 1324's totally changed the character of the sound, very open, detailed but not harsh. I don't know what making it sound so good now but I think adding the clock is a big part of it.
hey @RikkiPoo what do you plug the 1324 into? I have four 1324 SFPs which I bought on your recommendation but my Cisco 2960 switch does not work with this FSP. It has optical outputs but they are not compact with Finisar sadly.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
hey @RikkiPoo what do you plug the 1324 into? I have four 1324 SFPs which I bought on your recommendation but my Cisco 2960 switch does not work with this FSP. It has optical outputs but they are not compact with Finisar sadly.
I have an EtherRegen that has one SFP port and a SOtM switch that has 2 ports. I have the 2 switches connected by fiber.

Reactions: Duckworp

Duckworp

Oct 14, 2018
I have an EtherRegen that has one SFP port and a SOtM switch that has 2 ports. I have the 2 switches connected by fiber.
So I have two ERs each connected to a Cisco switch with 2 optical ports. The Cisco does not accept the Finisar SFPs. It is a shame as finding the Finisar 24 model you recommended was not so easy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing