The rawest of raw blues musicians

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,

I just picked up a couple of Mike Bloomfield CD's, and I am completely astounded and dumbfounded! Previously, I only experienced Bloomfiield on the Paul Butterfield band recordings, and he was good, but not great. However, picking up the latest boxed set "From His Head to His Heart to His Hands" as well as "Live at the Old Waldorf", this stuff is another level. As a big guitar fan and huge rock-blues/ electric blues fan, I feel kind of ashamed I did not explore Bloomfield's work earlier. But at the same time, discovering it now is a great pleasure.

I think Bloomfield's guitar playing, and especially conveying of emotion, is on par with Albert King and Clapton. Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Right on. He could play with passion. That's missing with most modern day shredders IMHO of course

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I think it is ridiculous to say that there are just a few great blues bands today, in fact, there are hundreds. The fact is, most people haven't heard the majority of all of the current blues bands. The Blues is felt by any race and can be played by any race. One race singing the blues is no more authentic than any other race singing the blues.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If we are talking of great Blues guitar player's...the greatest of them all is..

Jimi Hendrix.

Nobody could play the blues like he could, nobody...don't believe me, just listen to some of his earlier stuff...UNBELIEVABLE!
Which is one of the reasons why SRV looked up to him as much as he did.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm not a blues expert, but I cannot imagine anyone getting more raw than SRV at his peak.

SRV is most famous for fusing blues and rock. As a prolific artist, he has definitely played some slow blues and at times has played "raw". SRV is a Hall of Famer. Yet if life has dealt someone a sh*t sandwich, or if someone wants to connect with his or her feelings, he would probably not be the first one they would turn to.

As an example of immensely talented blues vs. blues rock guys, check out the fabulous interplay by Mike Bloomfield and Johnny Winter. Both are amazing, but Bloomfield brings so much raw soul to his playing...

Here's some more amazing raw Bloomfield playing:

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am not a huge of the latest iteration of Buddy Guy, but he is completely on fire in this Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite show with Jr. Wells from the early 70s. He is playing like his mom died earlier that day.

Check out "Ten Years Ago" or his solo on "How Can One Woman Be So Mean"

This show is now available on hdtracks. Prior, the used cds were selling for approx. $250. Vinyl copies may also be found from a recent re-release.

caesar

May 30, 2010
John Lee Hooker - he was much better earlier in his career, but this late career one is a real treat

Reactions: NorthStar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing