The rawest of raw blues musicians

caesar

May 30, 2010
For those looking for the next superstar, check out Lurrie Bell. He has a great Live CD out with his father on the Delmark label.

For those looking for some timeless raw blues classics, check out
- Albert King "Thursday Night in San Francisco" and
- Otis Rush "Screaming and Crying" and "Right Place, Wrong Time"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For those looking for the next superstar, check out Lurrie Bell. He has a great Live CD out with his father on the Delmark label.

For those looking for some timeless raw blues classics, check out
- Albert King "Thursday Night in San Francisco" and
- Otis Rush "Screaming and Crying" and "Right Place, Wrong Time"

Any link, picture cover, music samples; please? :b

caesar

May 30, 2010
Any link, picture cover, music samples; please? :b

Lurrie Bell has a new CD that is mostly acoustic. Sirius XM has been playing some songs, but there are no song samples yet.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Devil-Ain...FS26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334258035&sr=8-1

Here's the link to the live cd/ dvd, with short song samples. What's extra bluesy about this one is that everyone knows that end is near for Carey Bell.

http://www.amazon.com/Gettin-Up-Lur...9PDO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1334258035&sr=8-6

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Although not 'raw' in the sense you probably mean, Skip James, on the original pre-Depression era recordings, had a haunting eerie voice, and his guitar work was fitting. I agree that without the English artists kicking us in the ass, there is a good chance that the blues would not have gained the popularity it did in the 60's, although Johnny Winter, those guys from Canned Heat, Mike Bloomfield, and a few other Americans from the era also made their contribution. I also really liked Blind___,____ who did 'Nobody's Fault but Mine.' Fill in the blank. He had another great one, that was part church music, and part country blues.

caesar

May 30, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If this is a word association game......

Blues .............Muddy Waters

Raw + Blues ...............Howlin' Wolf

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Raw + Blues = pretty much what that video displayed. Nice one, Jack!:D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've been following this white boy for about 12 years now. Who said YOUNG and WHITE can't do the blues!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Johnny Winter, a Texas boy, is probably my all time favorite blues guitar player. He can do modern electric blues styles as well as the early delta blues styles and do them with authenticity and feeling. Another completely different blues guitar player is Chris Smither. His acoustic blues style is his own and I've never heard anyone like him. John Hammond, out of Jersey, plays some great blues, also. My favorite Buddy Guy album is "Blues Singer", check it out. I've got hundreds of blues albums and these performers are among my favorites. (sadly some are no longer with us)...
Buddy Blue Band, Chicago Slim Blues Band, Chris Cain, Delbert McClinton, Duffy Bishop Band, Jimmie Vaughan, Jimmy Thackery, Tab Benoit, Johnny Nocturne Band, Jonny Lang, Kenny Neal, Little Jimmy King, Lloyd Jones, Lonnie Mack, Mark Hummel, Omar Kent Dykes, Pat Boyack, Rick Holmes, Roger “Hurricane” Wilson, Roy Buchanan, Rhondo's Blues Deluxe, The Shadows, Sherman Robertson, Smokin' Joe Kubek & Bnois King, Steve James, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Studebaker John & The Hawks, Tinsley Ellis, Tom Principato, Too Slim and The Taildraggers, Angela Strehli, Tom Ball and last but not least, Anson Funderburgh & The Rockets.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Jonny Lang is appearing with Buddy Guy in June in Joisey, dunno how many dates they are playing together.

Doctor O

Jul 31, 2012
The best Bluesmen in the World are the Black people. :b
Good
Like Muddy Waters for example. ...And Robert Johnson.

...And some of them are from Africa.

* Here are some of the Best Bluesmen ever:

- Charley Patton
- John Lee Hooker
- Howlin' Wolf
- Buddy Guy
- Junior Wells
- Sam "Lightnin' Hopkins
- Dave "Honeyboy" Edwards
- Eddie "Son" House
- Blind Willie Johnson
- James Cotton

---> That's a 'dose' (dozen) right there! :cool:

Good thread. I happen to have a very extensive lp collecfion of Blues music. You may recognise my Avatar. Northstar has a great list. I really second Caesars recommendation of Otis Rush Screamin and Cryin. Talk about raw emotion. Also add to the list Son House.

Regarding jeff beck. I disagree with statemts. I saw first live at the Arms concert back in 82 or 83. Page and Clapton also played their sets . Beck blew the two combined away. The rawest guitar i ever saw. Will never ever forget.

Doctor O

Jul 31, 2012
Also

- Charley Patton
- John Lee Hooker
- Howlin' Wolf
- Buddy Guy
- Junior Wells
- Sam "Lightnin' Hopkins
- Eddie "Son" House
- Blind Willie Johnson
- James Cotton

Sorry you already had Son House. Check out Luther Johnson Come on Home. Jb Hutto, Otis Spann, Mississpippi Fred McDowel, and Skip James.

ANDREW

Doctor O

Jul 31, 2012

- Charley Patton
- John Lee Hooker
- Howlin' Wolf
- Buddy Guy
- Junior Wells
- Sam "Lightnin' Hopkins
- Eddie "Son" House
- Blind Willie Johnson
- James Cotton

How can I forget Magic Sam's West Side Soul and Black Magic! Also Earl Hooker

Doctor O

Jul 31, 2012

- Charley Patton
- John Lee Hooker
- Howlin' Wolf
- Buddy Guy
- Junior Wells
- Sam "Lightnin' Hopkins
- Eddie "Son" House
- Blind Willie Johnson
- James Cotton

Finally, i think, albert king, wed, thurs night in SF and live wire!

Doctor O

Jul 31, 2012
The best Bluesmen in the World are the Black people. :].

- Charley Patton
- John Lee Hooker
- Howlin' Wolf
- Buddy Guy
- Junior Wells
- Sam "Lightnin' Hopkins
- Eddie "Son" House
- Blind Willie Johnson
- James Cotton

You guys reallY got me going!!!!!!!!!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Skip James- the early recordings, not the ones after he was 're-discovered' (although those are OK, his voice and playing were better when he was young). Haunting. The Bentonian school. Antedates Rbt. Johnson.
Bukka White- Shake 'Em on Down- classic- cousin or something to BB King, gave BB his first guitar if memory serves.
Sonny Boy Wmson II-
Willie Dixon (and almost all the guys on Chess/Arc Music) as the young rockers knew, if you were gonna steal, you might as well steal from the best!
Jeff Beck is an amazing guitarist. Probably one of the most versatile. Ever see that tape of him playing with Van Morrison and Tom Jones?
I like gospel influenced blues- Blind Willie Johnson, mentioned above, preacher, guitar man, writer: Nobody's Fault but Mine, and the eerie Dark was the Night (also a 'moan')- hugely influential, not just with the english electric blues revival, but some of the old 'delta' guys that are on the list as foundational.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing