The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
DG Original Source

I am happy see new AAA series from one of the cornerstones of classical recording labels.There are four titles as of now, all mastered by Emil Berliner from original 4 track tapes. They say all of them will be on 180g vinyl and in deluxe gatefold with original covers. The records are limited and numbered and cost 35euros. No extortion prices and I am happy to pay that sum for clean AAA copies of good performances.

The first four titles are as follows;

Carlos Kleiber & Die Wiener Philharmoniker Beethoven: Sinfonie Nr. 7

Claudio Abbado & London Symphony Orchestra Stravinsky: Sacre Du Printemps

Emil Gilels, Amadeus Quartet & Rainer Zepperitz Schubert: Klavierquintett A-Dur “Forellenquintett” D. 667

Herbert von Karajan & Die Berliner Philharmoniker Mahler: Sinfonie Nr. 5

The email newsletter I got states that the series will continue for 14 albums which will be released over the course of 2023 but there maybe a typo there. Let's hope not!
thank you for the hint, just ordered!

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've made my order, but strangely no email confirmation, and no notification as to dispatch or delivery dates. Is this usual from DG?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I've made my order, but strangely no email confirmation, and no notification as to dispatch or delivery dates. Is this usual from DG?
Did you read what I wrote above? ;) DG.com customer service for orders is non-existent. They won't reply for weeks, and when they do, they don't answer your question. They charge VAT for orders leaving the EU when they should not... it's totally brutal.
You should complain - the more people that do, the better the chances they will improve.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, have sent the obligatory email enquiry. Famous German efficiency a little absent with DG.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Ordered mine on 24/02/2023.
Received an email confirmation of my Deutsche Grammophon registration before I bought this LP.
Didn't receive an email confirmation of my order on the 24/02/2023 or any other day since then.
Just logged into my Deutsche Grammophon account, showing my pre-order with no status given.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This boat is getting fuller by the day.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Today, Kleiber 7th is not available anymore on website

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe someone will get their copy, some day.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Are you sure, Keith? German dates are DD/MM/YY.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
2. June is what they write. I ordered that Trout. It’s a recording I haven’t heard.
The Kleiber LvB7 is magificent until the finale where Carlos just push the VPO too hard and the groove goes away. A pity.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Beethoven 7th and Mahler 5th sold out

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
It looks like the price on the Original Source series went up on their website

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
New titles added!

Herbert von Karajan & Die Berliner Philharmoniker Verdi: Messa da Requiem
verdi.jpeg

Emil Gilels, Eugen Jochum, Berliner Philharmoniker Brahms: Piano Concertos No. 1 & 2
brahms.jpeg

Claudio Abbado & Boston Symphony Orchestra Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe & Pavane; Debussy: Nocturnes​

abbado.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It would be nice to receive the first ones before others are announced, lol.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I have the original issue of the Abbado Ravel Debussy. Good stuff.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
New titles added!

Herbert von Karajan & Die Berliner Philharmoniker Verdi: Messa da Requiem​

View attachment 108898

Emil Gilels, Eugen Jochum, Berliner Philharmoniker Brahms: Piano Concertos No. 1 & 2​

View attachment 108899

Claudio Abbado & Boston Symphony Orchestra Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe & Pavane; Debussy: Nocturnes​

View attachment 108900
The Emil Gilels and Eugen Jochum Brahms Piano concerto pair with the Berliners is one of the great piano orchestral performances of like forever!! Wonderful.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes, the Verdi Requiem is a wonderful piece as are the Brahms Piano Concertos.

I'm sure the DG offering is physically very nice with lovely packaging.

I would look here before paying $40+ to ship a remaster to the States.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing