The language of Reproduction and the language of Music.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
While I largely agree with you I don't see how my post was not relevant. I highlighted a system that was producing a sound to which audiophile buzzwords can be applied, if they are misconstrued correctly. It does have soundstage, low noise, clean sound, bass and highs, for example. Someone who does not understand music and looks at a checklist, can listen to that system and say, ah ok, all there. and therefore, using a checklist to describe music can help.

Thanks for the clarification of your post. That makes total sense.

Btw, if Tim had let your post go, this thread would have been back on track much faster. Now he has a sub thread going :)

True. I did not respond to Tim's first provocation in # 164 and bit my tongue instead (I wrote a response at the time but then deleted the draft), but this time he left me no choice.

Reactions: bonzo75

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Empirically speaking, the more high-end the system, the better it can reproduce what is on the recorded medium.
When asked to give my opinion on a piece of equipment I've listened to playing music, I've often wondered,
a) Am I really judging the piece of equipment or actually the recording / mixing / mastering ?
b) I listen to classical and lots of live music, so am I heavily biased re, how "plausible" what I am hearing is compared to live music. Again, is this the piece of equipment judging or the recording?
c) Whatever the case may be, what is the vocabulary that best conveys my anecdotal take on that listening experience?
(Speaking of which, there was an excellent phrase along the lines of "conveying the energy of the instruments and the vocals".)

Ultimately, what it boils down to in my case is a mixture of all the above: my expressed opinion, such as it is, refers to what I think the piece of equipment can do when asked to reproduce well-recorded orchestral music...
Hence, a commonly accepted, reproduction-specific, vocabulary is very important in getting others to understand what I am trying to convey...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for the clarification of your post. That makes total sense.

Yes it was always meant for the subject. But instead of focusing on the content of my post, Tim made it about my statement that the punishment was to reread all these threads. That derailed the thread. Lol.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In that respect, your example is a textbook case.

Exactly. I always quote cases very relevant to the respective threads.
Hmmm, I think using a checklist may help describe the reproduction of the original medium -- not the actual music.

Agreed. my point was that for someone who is not exposed to music, a checklist can be very misnterpreting. Imagine if I told you the way to deadlift is to bend over, pick up the bar, keeping your back straight, bar dragged back along the shin, etc etc. If you have never been to a gym or exercised before, you will take those instructions and injure your back.

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Agreed. my point was that for someone who is not exposed to music, a checklist can be very misnterpreting. Imagine if I told you the way to deadlift is to bend over, pick up the bar, keeping your back straight, bar dragged back along the shin, etc etc. If you have never been to a gym or exercised before, you will take those instructions and injure your back.

ROFL

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

The language of Reproduction and the language of Music.​

However systems without an accurate FR response can be easily dismissed as not not being accurate and thats a fact.
Whether one likes the sound or not ( on certain music )
FR accuracy is a prerequisite and can be easily measured , i dont care what anybody else states.
Some people have never seen a measurement mike in their life or have measured a system and then talk about true to source

Last edited:

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
Thank you!

I stand corrected.

Here is the original:

NOW you can appreciate the music. It's not my favorite either, but it's good music.

Here is another one of her:

She is really good, and obviously not an 'audiophile' puppet:

And no, I did not comment on the performance of the system in the video, because I have promised some posters not to do that anymore. So I did not care to assess the system performance either.

All can draw the conclusions themselves, listening to the recording directly (see above link).

And yes, my criticism of audio shows still stands.
I'd have liked to access this track on Qobuz for higher quality listening and evaluation (and enjoyment - this track is well done). However, this is a live recording (Dingle/Other Voices) version of the track and is unavailable. It's a shame how often Qobuz does not have some of the best versions of albums or tracks, or than Qobuz can't get them since the digital transfer is not available to them - - whichever it may be. Nonetheless, thanks for the tracks posted from Youtube.

Reactions: Al M.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
As much as I dislike this same above dialogue resurfacing every few days, the reason one cannot do away with it is systems like these

Nothing against the components. But who in his right mind combines such expensive gear to play such awful music and produce such awful style of sound? This music is nothing like any music one can be exposed to outside the audiophile world. The video is on a top distributor's site, implies that he has customers who will like this.

As punishment, people who like this music and style of sound should be made to read all versions of the resolution threads and how to describe sound threads.

There's audible distortion. Either the bass drivers cant handle the room or the recording device sucks or YouTube is garbo or all of the above.

What speakers are those? They look like Marten Mingus. Their first order crossover design just doesn't work well with those drivers. The sweet spot was the older Coltrane and current Heritage series with second order crossovers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There's audible distortion. Either the bass drivers cant handle the room or the recording device sucks or YouTube is garbo or all of the above.

I can't play it for more than 5 seconds so difficult to say - and once was enough so not playing it again. Best of luck to the guy in the room

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: bazelio

rando

Sep 22, 2019

I couldn't resist intervening by pointing directly at the source after seeing that post collect a reaction.

Similarly, tima's request to establish relevance within this, latest in a string of definitive, conversation he was leading towards a personally enjoyable set of conclusive statements, drew me out. At the margin we have newer additions to the lexicon, but also old ones that might bear reexamination. Reconsidering where sound was first tied to picture provides ample opportunity to explore fresh insights towards untying it. ;)

Inevitability of intellectual pursuit and entertainment (visual depictions of gear accompanied by sound to analyze) colliding was quite high.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Man this ^ post reads as if an old internet bot threw together some words, I cannot make heads or tails out of it, sorry, I tried.

ON topic, in my experience Youtube is not half as bad as I did ever expect it to be, for sure there is a huge SQ gap when comparing YT footage to Qobuz or local files yet the sound fingerprint of a system is largely kept intact (depending on how and where it was recorded and how the video was posted)

Using my cell phone's mono(presumably) mike I made a live recording snippet of a brass quartet playing outside near a lake (during BAM!), replaying that footage from YT sounds better (more organic and realistic) than the HD (studio) recording the band brought (we listened to that HD recording on the Euronor Junior system).

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI:

In case you are not familiar with The Absolute Sound founder Harry Pearson:

Excerpt:

"For The Absolute Sound as it was originally conceived there was only one type of listener—the classical music lover, with long concert-hall experience, seeking the most convincing illusion of the sound of acoustic instruments in a real space".
FYI: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/ar...rets-you-need-to-know-to-be-an-audiophile-p-1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Back to language. HP referred to "natural sound" in TAS. See this letter from issue 100:
tas_natural.jpg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Man this ^ post reads as if an old internet bot threw together some words, I cannot make heads or tails out of it, sorry, I tried.

Youtube videos = OFF topic to this thread

Youtube videos = Unavoidable in every thread

Youtube videos = tima leaving his own thread

ON topic, in my experience Youtube is not half as bad as I did ever expect it to be, for sure there is a huge SQ gap when comparing YT footage to Qobuz or local files yet the sound fingerprint of a system is largely kept intact (depending on how and where it was recorded and how the video was posted)

Using my cell phone's mono(presumably) mike I made a live recording snippet of a brass quartet playing outside near a lake (during BAM!), replaying that footage from YT sounds better (more organic and realistic) than the HD (studio) recording the band brought (we listened to that HD recording on the Euronor Junior system).

LOL

ON topic, videos, and horns! (boldened selections mine)

Alsof er een engeltje op je tong piest.

Reactions: tima

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: rando

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Start me up ...

Where the audiophile community is weakest is its inability or poor job of describing what we hear when lisening to live music. This not the same thing as listening - that is the organic, holistic experience many have described. Listening is not dissection into parts. This is about learning.

We learn from listening to live music. It is important not only to give into music through listening but to understand what we learn from that. What we learn through experience shapes our values and that experience and those values shape, can shape, what we want from our systems and how we build them. There is an order of precedence and it doesn't start with components.

There is much to understanding the live experience that can/should shape our values for reproduction and in turn the language we adopt when talking about reproduction. The live experience teaches us about tonality and harmonics, it teaches us about how the expressive use of dynamics and gradations of dynamics shape emotion. How innovative use of timing coupled with dynamics and tone bring interest, excitement, flow and fluidity - I think of Stravinsky, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, and yes, even Bartok. We learn through listening. And you find these fundamentals in a score and their synthesis in performance - where you find genius in composition and great conductorial interpretation. Imo, these come first in experience and first in vocabulary.

What we learn from music we can carry to our systems - what is truly important - that is why the live experience is necessary to natural reproduction, why it is first in the order of precedence.

As I've said before, there are no psycho-acoustics in the score - they are a consequence of a live performance but they are not the goal of a performance. Don't misunderstand - there is no doubting that psycho-acoustics are a genuine part of the live music listening experience - music always occurs in a context and that context brings meaning to the performance. But, imo too often do psycho-acoustics take the focus for the modern audiophile in reproduction - I believe that happens because people can use and grasp more visual oriented language to describe what they hear and our language is stronger for visual stuff. Describing sound is harder - sharing sound verbally is harder. But it can be done. Yes, sometimes visual language is helpful - think of tone color - but a pure music experience is not visual. Read my first sentence again. If we want to build better systems we need to do better at not just experiencing, but learning.

The key for having a language of reproduction is to winnow the wheat from chaff in reproduced sound and the language of reproduction - we do that by using what we learn in listening to live music and understanding what is important about the live experience to the world of music reproduction.

... you make a grown man cry.
I think Tim expressed the idea well that creating a language to describe how a system (or a component in that system) sounds requires us to sort out what is important about the live listening experience.

We need to develop our language in more musical terms than what the current hi fi lexicon provides if we want to share our hi fi and musical journeys with others. WBF members want to talk with each other about their hi fi systems. More than a few of you have been lucky enough and worked hard enough (and probably spent more than enough money) to put together an incredibly musically satisfying hi fi system. More are probably still mired in the intricacies of their hi fi journeys, however, and these folks could really benefit from mentorship, but we need the right words to describe what we hear when we experience our musical sweet spot to earn bragging rights legitimately. The value of a more expressive language and the values it represents could have far-reaching positive consequences for our industry if more members of the review press and more manufacturers adopted this approach. I will flesh out that conversation in a future thread on my forum.

Tima said:

The live experience teaches us about tonality and harmonics, it teaches us about how the expressive use of dynamics and gradations of dynamics shape emotion.

Tim has summarized well most of the fundamental aspects of music reproduction that help shape and build our emotional connection with the music.

Fairly early in my hi fi life, I rejected hi fi terms as a tool to explain what I thought were the characteristics of a musically satisfying home audio system. To that end, I have used up quite a few pixels so far in my threads discussing the importance of tonality, harmonics, and dynamics to musically satisfying sound. I have mentioned that typical non-high end audio systems present a balanced slice of these qualities although not with the dynamic power and resolution that the best high end audio systems deliver. I have shared my all too prevalent listening experiences with more than a few high-end audio systems that fall significantly short of the mark in terms of balanced tonality and capturing dynamic gradations.

Several times in this thread, members have acknowledged that when listening to live music that pinpoint imaging in 3-dimensional space does not usually exist except when the music features a soloist, but even then, the sense of location is more diffuse than what many hi fi systems present because the complex fundamental and harmonic tones of a soloist start filling the performance space as soon as a note begins. It is possible, however, to achieve such an effect with all types of music by component choices, speaker set ups, and room treatment, but it is almost always at the expense of musically believable tonal balance and dynamics. These “heavier” essential qualities tend to cloud the over-emphasis on harmonics that is so necessary for enthusiasts to achieve the level of pin-point imaging they think they should be pursuing. Consequently, these set-ups effectively carve out the meat of the music to one degree or another.

In my vernacular, I have replaced the term “imaging” and any hi fi words associated with it such as sound stage with “space”. The combination of direct sound and the reflections of the music’s fundamentals and harmonics off the venue’s boundaries give us a sense of music space. Direct sound allows us to determine the approximate location of instruments, and reflected sounds captured on most recordings flesh out the listening experience.

Space is the final frontier. It allows us to forget that we are only listening to a hi fi system. A system’s or component’s ability to recreate music space can help us transcend space and time (where we actually are). Musical space invites and allows us to connect with recorded music on an even higher emotional level, however, only if tonal balance and dynamics provide the emotional foundation to the music reproduction experience.

I intend to have a deeper discussion of “space” in an upcoming thread on my forum. I have not been in a rush to discuss it because imaging is such a hot button in the hi fi world, and my concept of “space” requires a total recalibration of what one should expect from a hi fi if music is the priority.

Here is a description of what I consider to be 3 easy-to-grasp fundamental music listening criteria. I’ve had a chance to use these terms for years with audiences with very different music and hi fi experiences. The terms apply equally well to all genres of music including studio recorded electronic music, and one can freely drill down into these concepts with whatever descriptive words best express whatever any listener is hearing.

TONAL BALANCE : Does the system or component present a musically believable balance of fundamentals to harmonics with the full range of instruments featured in the recording? Does the system reveal the timbral differences created by different instruments and their musicians?

DYNAMICS: Does the system or component reveal dynamics expressively with all the gradations of dynamics from very soft to very loud, and everything in between?

SPACE: Does the system or component recreate the original recorded music space to a believable level by revealing the direct sound of instruments and the reflected sound of fundamentals and harmonics within the performance space?

These are not my words. You are all free to adopt, reject, change, or supplement them. I look forward to expanding upon these conclusions in a future thread, and I welcome hearing your thoughts.

There’s more than one right answer here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing