The Ken Kessler theory

I've heard a bit in different places about Ken's comments although it's all hearsay for me at this point. From what I've gathered, though, I think I have to agree with him and the comments in this thread may indeed prove his point.

He's not talking about the number of young people coming into the hobby or the gear and its associated cost. Those points are largely irrelevant. He's talking about the fact that high-end audio (as an industry) took the path of least resistance and began marketing itself to those who had already been converted. Let's face it, to society as a whole we're a bunch of crazy old geeks and the industry supporting our hobby has latched onto that quality. The problem is that as much as we all love high-end audio the amount of money (as a percentage of our incomes) that we spend is not enough to sustain the industry. Furthermore, as we age and pass on there are fewer and fewer people to take our places.

High end audio is a luxury and should be marketed as such. I remember that when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s that one's HiFi was a big deal and a status symbol. I got into high end audio because my father went out and purchased a very nice high end system in late '79 as our new house was being completed. This was a perfectly acceptable expenditure at the time and was an almost necessary status symbol.

Unfortunately, as time went on the industry became more and more introverted and marketing began catering to those who had already been converted. The more hooked we all got and the more money we spent on audio the more we got fed an ever increasing number of more expensive products. Fast forward 20 or 30 years to the present and we are a fringe group, at best.

As time marched on and we all wanted more we all turned to the internet and the used equipment market to satisfy our cravings. Brick and mortar stores started collapsing and manufacturers started to lose the ability to have their products presented for sale. Customers lost the ability to audition before purchase. That's OK, though, as we now have access to shows where the small number of remaining dealers pair with manufacturers to show off products in less than ideal conditions. We all get together at these events and marvel at what we see and hear all the time speaking a completely foreign language to the uninitiated

Aside from those of us who have already been converted there is no hook to bring an outsider into the hobby. We all talk about better sound, but in the long run the ability to determine "better" is often beyond the capabilities of the uninitiated. Once educated and informed a newcomer will likely jump in with both feet, but there's very little out there to act as a draw for newcomers. They have to go looking for us.

Sure, home theater has taken over, but that's for very good reason and the ultimate point that I think Ken was trying to make. Home theater was marketed to the masses as something to aspire to. Advertisements and articles in non-trade publications were plentiful. General-interest television shows highlighted HT as something of the rich and famous... something that the average Joe could aspire to. This generated interest and want, which ultimately built a market.

The same can be said for other luxury goods. Take a look at the watch industry, for instance. This market has exploded over the last 10 - 15 years by marketing itself not to the watch enthusiast, but to everyone else. Sponsorships, brand ambassadors, product placement, and mainstream advertising... lots of it. That has built up an aura of exclusivity and desire which has fueled a multi-billion dollar industry; an industry that almost ceased to exist in the 70s and 80s.

Take a look at a Patek Phillipe ad... pickup any mainstream upmarket publication and you're likely to find one. It's not about the watch, it's about the allure of "caring for" the watch and passing it along to later generations. It's no longer about timekeeping and now is about creating an heirloom and a family tradition.

Now look for the high-end audio ad in the same publication...

When you do find a high end audio ad it's all about the product and how super-duper it is, but there's nothing in there to create any sort of desire to purchase for the non-initiated.

Until the industry learns how to create a draw that appeals to non-audiophiles with disposable income it will continue to limp along until it vanishes.

I muscled my way on to that forum. I don't think it went as he expected it to go.

Ken's basic premise is that the high-end audio world is a luxury goods market that completely fails to reach a luxury goods audience. He points to trend-bucking successes in all the other luxury goods sectors he works in (watches, cars, etc), and bemoaned that high-end audio does not successfully reach these people.

I think he's at least half right on this. However, unlike the high-end watch sector, for example. audio is divided between products made by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts, and products made with an eye on the luxury sector. There is a lot of crossover - glorious sounding products that look as good as they sound - but there are also many enthusiast-led products that sound great and look ugly and style-led products that look great and sound mediocre.

Worse, unlike the watch sector, some audio enthusiasts will shun products they think 'glitzy' and these are exactly the kind of product that will sell to a luxury market.

Aside from a brief spell in the late 1950s/early 1960s, good audio has always been considered at best an elite sport. Most people are not only unaware of our passion, but if they happen upon it, they tend to dismiss it as being not important to them. This has long been the case. Like generations before it, the Napster/iPod generation is growing up and 'discovering' audio quality, but in smaller numbers this time. A unique spin to the growth of the 21st Century Audiophile is they have grown up with headphones and IEMs... and that's where their audiophile dollars go. At RMAF, those walking into the CanJam sector were generally a generation or two younger than those prowling the rest of the show, were looking at very expensive headphones and headphone amplifiers without sticker shock and were just as consumed by music - and the sound of it - as the rest of us. What most of us fail to see is they are tomorrow's customers (there's a possibility - if anyone is still around in 2025 - that the current generation of LP buying hipsters will end up getting into 'traditional' high-end audio for the same reasons).

But I might be wrong. Steve Jobs might have done to traditional audio precisely what Henry Ford did to traditional coach building, after all.

Only time will tell...

Last edited:
The mega wealthy ain't into 2 channel audio.

I'm an HGTV addict and one of the shows I see occasionally is about these mega mansions with what is called "Million Dollar Rooms". I have NEVER seen a nice 2 channel listening room but have seen MANY home theaters. A dedicated HT is the status symbol, not a great music listening room.

A local high end dealer who was in business for 23 years went under about 2 years ago. He described the reason why: The guy who used to walk in (alone) with $20,000 to spend on speakers, turntable, amp, preamp and cables now walks in, family in toe, with the same $20,000 to spend on 5 speakers, sub, video display of some kind, DVD player and pre-processor/amp/receiver. As we all know, 2 channel is, for the most part, a solo event. Home Theater is a family PLUS friends event.

The days of 2 channel (only) listening rooms are numbered. Will it die completely? Who knows? --- but as we (based on the photos that were posted from the RMAF dinner, that would be many of the members of this forum) pass on in the not too distant future, the younger folks will certainly be listening to music but NOT with just 2 speakers. (And while I'm not a "younger folk", I have already moved in that direction).

Just my $0.02

+10

2 channel started dying in the mid 90's, audio is still with us because of HT, it didn't help when many unscrupulous dealers pegged it to customers, by selling way overpriced and under performing products over the years, many got tired of the bad sound and moved on, only the addicts remained .

Money spent on HT is considered money well spent by most , for audio to survive, the focus has to be where it's at today, making the best digital format, speakers and class-d amplification for PC type systems.

Regards,

It is ALL about priorities.

Totally agreed. However, there are now MANY more hobbies/toys/activities to select from (certainly than when I started this hobby) to develop your list of priorities from and not any more time available to participate: slick computers, iPads, gaming systems, home theater, internet surfing, audio, photography, boating, wine, watches, cars, playing a musical instrument, watching sports, riding motor bikes, and the list goes on and on. And of course, spending time with your family ought to be on here somewhere.

---Most important hobby of them all?

Leaving a beneficial legacy to our children's childrens, IMO. :b

Then the US is in very deep do-do. Neither the Republicans nor Democrats have the testicles to actually do anything substantive to actually stop the escalation of multi-trillion dollar debt and eventually pay it off. Both party proposals are "get elected" propositions and whoever gets elected will not do poop to seriously address this incredibly important issue we face. So our children's children and their children and their children (assuming the end has not come) will get to deal with it. Not a "legacy" we should be too proud of but we keep voting for morons more interested in getting re-elected than individuals who actually give a crap.

END OF RANT !!!

+10

2 channel started dying in the mid 90's, audio is still with us because of HT, it didn't help when many unscrupulous dealers pegged it to customers, by selling way overpriced and under performing products over the years, many got tired of the bad sound and moved on, only the addicts remained .

Money spent on HT is considered money well spent by most , for audio to survive, the focus has to be where it's at today, making the best digital format, speakers and class-d amplification for PC type systems.

Regards,

This only really applies to the US, I believe. In most places, good HT was a passing fad, because most people have smaller rooms than you guys have. It's difficult to sell a lot of 7.1 speaker systems to people who think a 12x16 family room is 'spacious'.

Certainly in most of Europe, HT is an attachment sale to a new TV. It's almost all HTiB systems at best.

Hello,

Correct, Europe and more specifically Asia , is where the US market was in late 80's/early 90's so i would expect those markets to start changing and declining in about 5-8 yrs, 10 yrs tops ....

Regards,

Then the US is in very deep do-do. Neither the Republicans nor Democrats have the testicles to actually do anything substantive to actually stop the escalation of multi-trillion dollar debt and eventually pay it off. Both party proposals are "get elected" propositions and whoever gets elected will not do poop to seriously address this incredibly important issue we face. So our children's children and their children and their children (assuming the end has not come) will get to deal with it. Not a "legacy" we should be too proud of but we keep voting for morons more interested in getting re-elected than individuals who actually give a crap.

END OF RANT !!!

-----Perhaps it is only one of the reasons we luv music so much? :b
...An escape to our other senses.

---I agree with Alan's post just above; demographics have different priorities and overall impacts.

* A true Home Theater is a big screen (read 90" HDTV or a projector) where you are totally immersed into the story of the moving pictures in front of you, and immersed as well into the surround sounds. ...But most importantly in the dialog of the center channel.

A 65" HDTV? Mmmm, tough call, unless you sit roughly at six feet from it.

Multichannel music? Yes, when well done it is more immersing than just plain stereo. :b
...But stereo can be really convincing too when well done (recorded) and reproduced by the right pair of loudspeakers in the right room.

I've heard a bit in different places about Ken's comments although it's all hearsay for me at this point. From what I've gathered, though, I think I have to agree with him and the comments in this thread may indeed prove his point.

He's not talking about the number of young people coming into the hobby or the gear and its associated cost. Those points are largely irrelevant. He's talking about the fact that high-end audio (as an industry) took the path of least resistance and began marketing itself to those who had already been converted. Let's face it, to society as a whole we're a bunch of crazy old geeks and the industry supporting our hobby has latched onto that quality. The problem is that as much as we all love high-end audio the amount of money (as a percentage of our incomes) that we spend is not enough to sustain the industry. Furthermore, as we age and pass on there are fewer and fewer people to take our places.

High end audio is a luxury and should be marketed as such. I remember that when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s that one's HiFi was a big deal and a status symbol. I got into high end audio because my father went out and purchased a very nice high end system in late '79 as our new house was being completed. This was a perfectly acceptable expenditure at the time and was an almost necessary status symbol.

Unfortunately, as time went on the industry became more and more introverted and marketing began catering to those who had already been converted. The more hooked we all got and the more money we spent on audio the more we got fed an ever increasing number of more expensive products. Fast forward 20 or 30 years to the present and we are a fringe group, at best.

As time marched on and we all wanted more we all turned to the internet and the used equipment market to satisfy our cravings. Brick and mortar stores started collapsing and manufacturers started to lose the ability to have their products presented for sale. Customers lost the ability to audition before purchase. That's OK, though, as we now have access to shows where the small number of remaining dealers pair with manufacturers to show off products in less than ideal conditions. We all get together at these events and marvel at what we see and hear all the time speaking a completely foreign language to the uninitiated

Aside from those of us who have already been converted there is no hook to bring an outsider into the hobby. We all talk about better sound, but in the long run the ability to determine "better" is often beyond the capabilities of the uninitiated. Once educated and informed a newcomer will likely jump in with both feet, but there's very little out there to act as a draw for newcomers. They have to go looking for us.

Sure, home theater has taken over, but that's for very good reason and the ultimate point that I think Ken was trying to make. Home theater was marketed to the masses as something to aspire to. Advertisements and articles in non-trade publications were plentiful. General-interest television shows highlighted HT as something of the rich and famous... something that the average Joe could aspire to. This generated interest and want, which ultimately built a market.

The same can be said for other luxury goods. Take a look at the watch industry, for instance. This market has exploded over the last 10 - 15 years by marketing itself not to the watch enthusiast, but to everyone else. Sponsorships, brand ambassadors, product placement, and mainstream advertising... lots of it. That has built up an aura of exclusivity and desire which has fueled a multi-billion dollar industry; an industry that almost ceased to exist in the 70s and 80s.

Take a look at a Patek Phillipe ad... pickup any mainstream upmarket publication and you're likely to find one. It's not about the watch, it's about the allure of "caring for" the watch and passing it along to later generations. It's no longer about timekeeping and now is about creating an heirloom and a family tradition.

Now look for the high-end audio ad in the same publication...

When you do find a high end audio ad it's all about the product and how super-duper it is, but there's nothing in there to create any sort of desire to purchase for the non-initiated.

Until the industry learns how to create a draw that appeals to non-audiophiles with disposable income it will continue to limp along until it vanishes.

All well said.

The only thing I could add to your post is that another factor is software..the quality of many recordings has diminished to the point that I can understand
the point of view that it is pretty senseless to invest in a high performance audio system to listen to crushed, loud, zero dynamics recordings.

And that goes for many of the remasters of classic rock and pop that have hit the market. Mastered like crud to be listened to on little white ear buds.

Totally agreed. However, there are now MANY more hobbies/toys/activities to select from (certainly than when I started this hobby) to develop your list of priorities from and not any more time available to participate: slick computers, iPads, gaming systems, home theater, internet surfing, audio, photography, boating, wine, watches, cars, playing a musical instrument, watching sports, riding motor bikes, and the list goes on and on. And of course, spending time with your family ought to be on here somewhere.

Tell me about...when I was a teenager there was no internet, cable tv was strictly for the well heeled, no cell phones...etc.

I was listening to the radio and a very smart women said modern elections have been ruled by the public being tricked by one stupid tax plan after another.

You can have a balanced budget. You can have tax cut. But you can't have both. Now they want to cut spending. That simply puts mandatory expenditures off until the future or passes them off to the states.
Revenue neutral means somebody pays more somebody pays less.

I love Ken as a writer but I think he is overly gloomy. HiFi isn't dying, it is changing.

We have three paths to grow the business:

1. Portable audio. Check out the excitement at Can Jam at RMAF each year. Vibrant and youthful.

2. Vinyl records. Tremendous growth across all age groups.

3. Computer Audio. Tremendous interest and DACs at the low and high end get better literally every year. Check out the Schiit Gungnir.

I do think Ken is right that high end audio is not competing against other consumer electronics but also any luxury items from Apple to Tiffany to Neiman Marcus.

I was listening to the radio and a very smart women said modern elections have been ruled by the public being tricked by one stupid tax plan after another.

You can have a balanced budget. You can have tax cut. But you can't have both. Now they want to cut spending. That simply puts mandatory expenditures off until the future or passes them off to the states.
Revenue neutral means somebody pays more somebody pays less.

I disagree with your first statement: "You can have a balanced budget. You can have tax cut. But you can't have both" If you have a tax cut, then you have to cut expenses, and THEN you can have a balanced budget. Trying to stay within the WBF rules of not getting into politics, the size (and therefore costs) of our Federal Government has gotten WAY too large --- and it keeps growing. As I said in my other post, neither party has the testicles to make the severe changes and cuts in the size of government and other spending necessary to balance the budget. Is not going to happen --- until it all collapses....and it will !!!

Just paying the deficit alone prevents a balnced budget. As for neither party having the intestinal fortitude-They both have the mendacity to continue on thier current path!

I wasn't at RMAF, But I understand that there was a forum hosted by KK that discussed Ken's theory of where the high-end is headed.
Apparently Ken believes that high-end is dying by its own hand; that if it is to continue to exist, let alone thrive, high-end audio has to emulate the example of the luxury watch, pen, and car industries by becoming aspirational and moving upmarket, abandoning the middle-class customers who no longer have the necessary disposable income to spend on audio.

I'm not sure that this is the correct theory, BUT it does seem to be an interesting one. IMO, there may be an off-set to Ken's theory, and that is that as the typical middle- class baby-boomer ( whom I suspect is the primary demographic of the current customer of high-end) may have more disposable income as they become empty nesters. Trouble is that the hobby will need to appeal to the younger generations to continue to survive into the future ( which at the moment I don't think it does:()...or maybe Ken's theory is the answer...thoughts?

It can't. The luxury watch, pen and car industries are about bling and making a status impression to as many people as possible during the course of day. You wear your watch, you carry your pen and drive your car for all to see every single day. Try doing that with your high-end audio system. Many people who buys those watches, pens and cars aren't necessarily motivated by ownership of that product because they have a passion for it, but rather to impress and say that he/she is a somebody.

I love Ken as a writer but I think he is overly gloomy. HiFi isn't dying, it is changing.

We have three paths to grow the business:

1. Portable audio. Check out the excitement at Can Jam at RMAF each year. Vibrant and youthful.

2. Vinyl records. Tremendous growth across all age groups.

3. Computer Audio. Tremendous interest and DACs at the low and high end get better literally every year. Check out the Schiit Gungnir.

I do think Ken is right that high end audio is not competing against other consumer electronics but also any luxury items from Apple to Tiffany to Neiman Marcus.

-----You've got excellent points there Lee. ...And there are more and better valid points that Hi-Fi ain't disappearing at all. Like you said it just is retransforming, readapting to our times.

Methinks simply that some people are just still stuck in the past. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing