The joys of owning large numbers of LP's!!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Wow, that looks good...
I'm actually a little surprised that the lower cabinets can hold the weight of the upper cabinets. Particularly,since it appears that you have the LP's on the upper cabinets and the CD's...which weigh a lot less, on the lower cabinets. Are the cabinets attached to the wall in some way? Pleased to see this arrangement, as i am going to have to stack my Kallax cabinets in the same manner. Although I won't be using them for CD's, just LP's.

Nice looking collection, BTW.

Yes, it looks odd to have the light ones below, but I do not listen to cd's as often as I do listen to records. Not even one tenth I guess. The shelves are strong enough so it doesn't matter which ones on top. You can bolt them to wall (if you have a strong wall) on the insides of outermost corner shelves as that makes it stronger in case. I dont know about Kallax. These are expedit and I know Kallax has less wood. Does that make kallax less strong, I don't know.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The KALLAX and EXPEDIT are the same basic unit (inside cube dimensions are identical), but the KALLAX has thinner outside dimensions (top, bottom, sides). You can see this in the attached picture. I have two KALLAX 4X4 units on the bottom and two EXPEDIT 2x4 on top. Although not shown I have a 1x4 KALLAX unit now in place where the boxes are on the left.

Audio Dungeon 8.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The KALLAX and EXPEDIT are the same basic unit (inside cube dimensions are identical), but the KALLAX has thinner outside dimensions (top, bottom, sides). You can see this in the attached picture. I have two KALLAX 4X4 units on the bottom and two EXPEDIT 2x4 on top. Although not shown I have a 1x4 KALLAX unit now in place where the boxes are on the left.

View attachment 36726

John, that looks good. I guess I shouldn't be concerned about stacking the Kallax units. Are yours attached to the rear wall? I would think this would be beneficial as it spreads the load into the wall.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, that looks good. I guess I shouldn't be concerned about stacking the Kallax units. Are yours attached to the rear wall? I would think this would be beneficial as it spreads the load into the wall.

They're not attached to the rear wall as there is an 18" gap between the back of the units and the wall. However, I braced them by wedging in a 4-foot piece of 2x4 on the left side and they're not going anywhere. I verify to see if there is a change to the vertical positioning every few weeks. Solid as a rock! :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Finally free after 4 years of being bound by cardboard! Free the Vinyl!
This fell into place by a surprising source, my beautiful wife!
Problem solved for awhile!

20171203_131159.jpg

20171203_131039.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing