The joys of owning large numbers of LP's!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ha Simon! I've JUST loaded the last of the pesky critters onto my shelves.
I can't help feeling gooey inside looking at them.
Pluck an lp off the shelf, I get an immediate temporal connection.
Use an IPad streaming? No contest emotionally.
Even my cds give me tiny pangs of joy.
Negotiating the Cloud? No way.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
hahaha yeah the satisfaction of several shelves full of LPs, all neatly organized, it's really something truly unique!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Wow, looks like you have a super small room like mine. You are right, Maggie's hate rooms like that! I used to own Maggie's...until I moved into the small room syndrome, and they basically told me to get lost. What size is your room?

Roughly 9 x 11.
I got lucky so far in this room with my recent changes and mods, have something pretty magical at the moment I never had before. Thos changes are in the K.I.S.S. thread, semi content at the moment given the situation.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Luckily I don't have to move 2000 LPs up stairs, although this portion of my collection is close to that number. BTW, I'm always a little nervous when someone stores multi thousands of LP's on a second level. I think it was last year that I visited this local shop that was storing 60,000 LP's on the mezzanine level. Noted at the time that the floors were a little shaky, but thought nothing of it---until: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...pse-Building-Normal-University-309013091.html

TG nobody was in the store at the time!
Oh, out of the 60,000 LP's that they had...and after picking through the vast majority of them ( don't ask how long I was there), I left with exactly.....none.

Know that store and the end result of my visit was the same, fongoo!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Ha! 2000 LPs up a flight of stairs? Easy! Try moving 4000 across the world! Just putting everything into boxes was a pain... And of course, my current place can't accomodate them, so in storage they stay...

And the most insane thing is that I keep buying MORE of the buggers, even though I can't even SEE the ones I currently own...

Its a disease to be sure and I just recently completed a 12 step program and promised myself I would not buy anymore until the storage boxes are emptied....

I went through a two year period of buying while my kit sat boxed up, there is some catching up to do.

The worst part is there are 3 record stores less than a two minute walk from work.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Roughly 9 x 11.
I got lucky so far in this room with my recent changes and mods, have something pretty magical at the moment I never had before. Thos changes are in the K.I.S.S. thread, semi content at the moment given the situation.

That's just a tad larger than my room..which is 9X10. These days they call this size a closet...in the old days they got away with it and called it a bedroom!:(

Luckily, my saving grace is a vault ceiling, giving the room a lot more volume. Volume does seem to be a major factor with having a system work in said room.
Still a very tough room to make work, and anyone who is dealing with the same type of dimensions has my sympathy.

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
@Hi-Figuy

Thanks to bring me in the past
I had in 1976 Pioneer Spec 1 and 2,my second amp my father bought to me
I was 16 years old

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
@Hi-Figuy

Thanks to bring me in the past
I had in 1976 Pioneer Spec 1 and 2,my second amp my father bought to me
I was 16 years old

@gian60
No worries, anything to help spark a memory! :) It may not be much in comparison to the systems here, but it still impresses those that have never had the experience of decent sound.
Really like your room, very clean lines and great use of space.

@XV-1
Been pondering this problem for awhile, showed it to the wife, man glitter about to be all over the garage, its perfect on many levels, thank you for sharing.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
XV-1,

Did you build those beauties yourself?

thanks,
alex

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I use Boltz metal shelving for LP’s and Tape.

Attachments

• 55728FAF-2C21-42E0-97DD-B3BCB5C84CA0.jpg
    55728FAF-2C21-42E0-97DD-B3BCB5C84CA0.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 9B3FE207-65C4-43D2-BC36-4B738E2CA986.jpg
    9B3FE207-65C4-43D2-BC36-4B738E2CA986.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 161
  • BAF96000-1A7E-419D-A3DE-90D79DFE84E8.jpg
    BAF96000-1A7E-419D-A3DE-90D79DFE84E8.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 159

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I use Boltz metal shelving for LP’s and Tape.

Looks good, how do you know where everything is located??
BTW, if you are on a second story, it must be able to support a lot of weight, your amps, speakers and the numerous LP’s you have stored must be considerable....did you...do you, have any concern about this??

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Looks good, how do you know where everything is located??
BTW, if you are on a second story, it must be able to support a lot of weight, your amps, speakers and the numerous LP’s you have stored must be considerable....did you...do you, have any concern about this??
Basement concrete slab foundation. Tapes alphabetical, rock/pop has two racks starting from the left then one rack for Jazz, one classical reissues, test pressings from classic records. The stand alone rack is UK Decca, EMI, RCA Shaded Dog, mercury living presence and Columbia masterworks mostly mono on the bottom shelf. Prior to 2010 I had zero records and zero tape.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Basement concrete slab foundation. Tapes alphabetical, rock/pop has two racks starting from the left then one rack for Jazz, one classical reissues, test pressings from classic records. The stand alone rack is UK Decca, EMI, RCA Shaded Dog, mercury living presence and Columbia masterworks mostly mono on the bottom shelf. Prior to 2010 I had zero records and zero tape.

Good news, basements with concrete slab foundations are not known on here on the West Coast, but I can see that they can come in handy.
Wow, you have been busy in the last seven years... nice collection. I guess I now know who has been outbidding me on all those auctions, lol!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
XV-1,

Did you build those beauties yourself?

thanks,
alex

Not me. My uncle is a retired carpenter that specialized in kitchens. I came up the idea and he built them. He started building them around 20 years ago and kept building them as my collection got larger. He is retired now.

I have 14 of them now. They hold 80 per shelf easily or 100 if packed tightly and they are 4 high, so around 320 - 350 per 4 tier shelf. If you wanted to, one could go 5 high easily.

Cheers

Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
ikea shelves for me

I have been using ikea shelves for about 10 years with no problems. However I am rebuilding my house and will build special lp shelves. I need more!

Here you can see some of my collection, me reading from a Mingus LP in front of my shelves :) shot by my lovely missus who shares and respects my passion for music.

IMG_E0775.JPG

ps. props for rockitman for the volcano/lava lamp combo.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Wow, that looks good...
I'm actually a little surprised that the lower cabinets can hold the weight of the upper cabinets. Particularly,since it appears that you have the LP's on the upper cabinets and the CD's...which weigh a lot less, on the lower cabinets. Are the cabinets attached to the wall in some way? Pleased to see this arrangement, as i am going to have to stack my Kallax cabinets in the same manner. Although I won't be using them for CD's, just LP's.

Nice looking collection, BTW.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing