The Future

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As a kid I loved watching Sci-Fi, heck I still do. Well, Space 1999 came and went and while there are still no moon bases, I did party the way the late great Prince commanded. With 2017 closing in and no underwater bases ala Sea Lab 2020, it got me thinking....audio wise, where do I want to be by or before 2020? You know what they say, it NEVER ENDS! Well dreaming is free. What would you dream of doing? Here's mine. :)

Sources

Air Force One Premium. This is actually soon to be a reality.
SAT arm
On my Cart wish list...Phasemation PP-2000, Orpheus Diamond

Studer A80
Nick's Tape Pre with calibration feature

Please, Please, Please Florian and Thierry, make a server with expandable external bay to go with your Clock. I can see an S1, T1, and CH drive bay on a three level rack!

Amplification

With the new slave boards for the M1, Do I stack two pairs? Yeah baby!

Racks

Dreaming time but something like this which just looks awesome with Soulution should look just as good with CH since their chassis are made by the same engineering firm.
They also match TechDAS's aluminum finish. Of course performance is a given here.

201209191110571310.jpg

Loudspeakers

After getting a taste of what VSA did along with Thiel GMBH for their 55's drivers and living nearby the 111s and the Gen 6 crossover changes. Ultra 11s in AMG Cardinal Red please!

or ......will the Ultra 11 Kuntz with the optional sub towers become reality? I might not have the width for a four tower set up though given how wide apart I like having my speakers.

15034840_1174843045944111_972655469426376704_n.jpg

Cables, Power and Distribution

Move up finally from MB Signature to MB Ultra
Switch to the star grounded MB Distribution interfaces using MB busses. Oops am I suppose to divulge that these are already in the works?
Switch all COs to Nanos.
Since my GE Fridge died again, as well as my Wolf Microwave, I'm looking at industrial whole house protection with a secondary just for the main audio panel.

Acoustics

I need something for under my new rug which currently has no backing. Noise Out?

Dreams are dreams. Will Fiction become reality? How well business goes will tell.

What's yours?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What a fun thread, Jack! Here goes:

- Finish the upgrade of cables (the ICs) to TA Opus
- Our space is probably ideally setup for either an Arrakis or an XLF
- Upgrade CJ GAT to GAT Series 2
- Given what everyone keeps saying about Masterbuilt Cables...why not an entire new loom of their power cables?

To be fair, this list means I am pretty darn happy with the system given that these are refinements more than anything else (other than speakers).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My dream: A live 3 piece jazz group in my home instantly upon voice request/demand !! (e.g. Alexa, please start live jazz music). And as long as I'm dreaming, throw in some incredible female vocalists !!

You dream bigger than I do my friend! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My dream is to be able to source a mint 47 lab PiTracer.

Dang! Never seen one in the flesh but yes, that would be great to have in a collection! That's as Kimura as Kimura gets!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, well at the moment after just having moved into the dream pad in the country, after a ten month wait while refurb was happening, I'm not hoping for anything much more in 2017 than the new dedicated room (38x18x9 midline apex w descending eaves) coming thru acoustically
Just spending a little more to install multiple dedicated lines hard wired from my 8kVA balanced transformer (itself having a feed seperate from the rest of the chapel), and further room GIK'g, and then I spend as much time as it takes to wrangle the space/dial in the system

Beyond this, as funds come back on stream, I'm looking at a Spiers active isolation platform for my Trans Fi Salvation tt, bespoke psu to my Soundsmith Straingauge cart, possible SGM server and either GG or T&A Dac 8, new flagship Zu Experiences spkrs, NATs Audio Magnetostat SE batt pwrd linestage
Or maybe I finally give into temptation and go horns
The Sadurni Acoustics Miracolis look fascinating, perhaps w Blue58's hand built 45 tube amps and Java LRD passive linestage
Oh, and also a whole slew of Shun Mook Giants under gear, Sablon Audio Elite Reservas pwr cords, aphile fuses, Furutech NCF outlets
Etc etc etc

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
First thing that popped into my head...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What would you dream of doing?

as far as my audio/music system I'm pretty happy with things overall.......2016 was a year for finally getting all the pieces to line up and work how I like. I could make changes for change sake but that's about it. I'm not dreaming of any system wide changes. preamp. check. amp. check. speakers. check. tt, arm, cartridge. check. RTR deck and output electronics. check. room, acoustics, power grid. check.

for 2017 my dream is to find the right long term digital solution so I can turn the page and just listen. I'm in the middle of that process and I'm not sure if I'm closer to the end or the beginning.

tubes or solid state?

discs or server only?

USB server or Ethernet NAS? SGM server or my CAPSv4 Lampi version?

up-sample dsd to dxd, or up-sample PCM to dsd? try to do both natively?

HQ Player or ??????

and depending on what my digital choice is there is the resonance control issue.....another Herzan? maybe different racks depending on what digital solution I end up with.

I'm trying to sort my way through all these questions.

as I go forward I'm listening a larger and larger percentage of the time to digital.....so it's a bigger and bigger deal to me.

my only other half-way dream (guilty pleasure) is another Tripoint Troy or higher box for the amplifiers, or the tape decks. I know they would push things further but you gotta stop someplace? right? it seems the digital thing is more the legit missing piece.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jack, Who makes the racks in the photo you posted?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I dunno about 2020 .. Im looking forward to 2017 .. upgrading to a set of Vivid G1 Spirits and a 1000p Devialet system and a ceiling redo.
I have no audio dreams for 2020 apart from better source material , high rez stuff , mqa etc streaming from tidal

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Dreams are dreams. Will Fiction become reality? How well business goes will tell.

What's yours?[/QUOTE]

For yours to come true:)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
as far as my audio/music system I'm pretty happy with things overall.......2016 was a year for finally getting all the pieces to line up and work how I like. I could make changes for change sake but that's about it. I'm not dreaming of any system wide changes. preamp. check. amp. check. speakers. check. tt, arm, cartridge. check. RTR deck and output electronics. check. room, acoustics, power grid. check.

for 2017 my dream is to find the right long term digital solution so I can turn the page and just listen. I'm in the middle of that process and I'm not sure if I'm closer to the end or the beginning.

tubes or solid state?

discs or server only?

USB server or Ethernet NAS? SGM server or my CAPSv4 Lampi version?

up-sample dsd to dxd, or up-sample PCM to dsd? try to do both natively?

HQ Player or ??????

and depending on what my digital choice is there is the resonance control issue.....another Herzan? maybe different racks depending on what digital solution I end up with.

I'm trying to sort my way through all these questions.

as I go forward I'm listening a larger and larger percentage of the time to digital.....so it's a bigger and bigger deal to me.

my only other half-way dream (guilty pleasure) is another Tripoint Troy or higher box for the amplifiers, or the tape decks. I know they would push things further but you gotta stop someplace? right? it seems the digital thing is more the legit missing piece.

Wouldn't DSD to DXD be a downsample? This doesn't make sense???

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing