The first Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2 DAC in Hong Kong

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Thanks Vincent for the info.

I would like to know whether the Reclocker or the D1-Twelve Mk2 can still receive and decode DSD digital signal from usb input & spdif inputs(DoP) after this "Reclocker Upgrade"?
Thanks again!
With this upgrade the reclcoker lets the DSD DoP pass though from all inputs to all outputs, but it can't convert it to pcm.

Reactions: CKKeung

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Yes it is for the Totaldac d1-digital reclockers owners, so also for the d1-twelve-mk2 owners and d1-streamer owners.

Among upgrades are:
-in the FPGA, with a lower jitter implementation. The volume control and the optional DSD to pcm conversion had to be removed to allow this new reclocker implementation
-an optimisation in the clock system
-in a custom RF shield to reject even more the jitter from the source
-the live-power to reject even more the noise from the mains network
Hi Vincent,

Please add me to the list to upgrade my two reclockers.

The sound of my totaldac centric digital system, including now a pair of Totaldac AMP-1 monos and the Taiko Extreme sever (with TAS OS though still pending the Taiko USB card), took my system to a completely new level, with the AMP-1s adding a perfect balance of nuance and power.

It is the closest to the emotional experience of live music I’ve ever heard in my room!

Can’t wait for the additional impact of the upgraded reclockers and Taiko USB card!

Great job Vincent!

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Thank you very much Cmarin, happy to hear that considering all SOTA amplifiers you have or have had!

The spec page of the new d1-digital-mk2 reclocker is online.
The option which will be tested for Taiko server is called "power supply board to transform the standard USB input to a self-powered USB input."

http://www.totaldac.com/D1-digital-eng.htm

reclocker_mk2_back.jpg

reclocker_mk2_inside.jpg

For the new d1-streamer-mk2 as well:
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-streamer-eng.htm

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thank you very much Cmarin, happy to hear that considering all SOTA amplifiers you have or have had!

The spec page of the new d1-digital-mk2 reclocker is online.
The option which will be tested for Taiko server is called "power supply board to transform the standard USB input to a self-powered USB input."

http://www.totaldac.com/D1-digital-eng.htm

View attachment 76950

View attachment 76949

For the new d1-streamer-mk2 as well:
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-streamer-eng.htm
Hi Vincent,
I do need that additional board to enable a self-powered usb input.

Talked with Ben of Volent HK, the local Totaldac dealer.
One or two friends and I will send our Reclockers together to you for the Mk2 Upgrade.

Can't wait to hear the sonic improvement!
Many thanks!
:D

Reactions: cat6man and cmarin

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi,
cool ... I will probably do the 844 km that separates me from Vincent's den next week to do this upgrade,
listen to these news d100 and above all share a good time !

life is an improbable and nice adventure.

Reactions: cmarin and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi,
cool ... I will probably do the 844 km that separates me from Vincent's den next week to do this upgrade,
listen to these news d100 and above all share a good time !

life is an improbable and nice adventure.
We are waiting for your d100 speaker report!
:)

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Here are 3 more recordings of a full Totaldac system, including d1-streamer-mk2, reclocker mk2 and d100 speakers:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
About the new version of reclocker, the d1-digital-mk2 and d1-streamer-mk2) a new internal architecture makes that it has no volume control and no DSD to pcm conversion but:

-the Totaldac DAC still have a volume control, so when you have a mk2 reclocker or d1-streamer-mk2 followed by a Totaldac DAC you can still control the volume from the Totaldac remote. People having a Totaldac reclocker and DAC already use the DAC volume control and set the volume of the reclocker to 0dB, so no change compared to now.

-The DSD signal still passes through the mk2 reclocker or d1-streamer-mk2, so the Totaldac DAC with DSD option will still receive the DSD signal. People having a Totaldac reclocker and DAC with DSD option already set the DSD to pcm conversion OFF in the reclocker so no change compared to now.

-people who need the volume control in the reclocker (using for example active speaker with digital inputs) can still get a mk2 reclocker with volume control and DSD to pcm conversion. They must just ask for it on order. All mk2 upgrades except this part will be done without extra cost.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

PTCL

Apr 9, 2018
USA
For people running a single reclocker, I like to mention that two reclockers in series produce a substantial improvement for a D1-12 Mk2. One of the two reclockers is not even on live power. The ambience is notably enhanced. The rsult is much-improved soundstage dimensionality with delicate internal textures. This is an effective way of improving sound. I am confident that this approach works for any Totaldac DAC.

We now have Mk 2 reclockers. I will be anxious to find out what they bring. I know that Cmarin also runs two reclockers with live power. I may just wait for his feedback before sending in mine.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
For people running a single reclocker, I like to mention that two reclockers in series produce a substantial improvement for a D1-12 Mk2. One of the two reclockers is not even on live power. The ambience is notably enhanced. The rsult is much-improved soundstage dimensionality with delicate internal textures. This is an effective way to improve sound. I am confident that this approach works for any Totaldac DAC.

We now have reclocker Mk 2's. I will be anxious to find out what they bring. I know that Cmarin also runs two reclockers with live power. I may just wait for his feedback before sending in mine.
Hi PTCL,
Very interesting!
Thanks for your sharing.

Would you please how the two Reclockers are connected in your D1-12 Mk2 dac?
Id one of them the syn module of the D1-12 Mk2 dac?

Thanks again!

PTCL

Apr 9, 2018
USA
Hi PTCL,
Very interesting!
Thanks for your sharing.

Would you please how the two Reclockers are connected in your D1-12 Mk2 dac?
Id one of them the syn module of the D1-12 Mk2 dac?

Thanks again!
Yes, one of them is the sync module of D1-12. So that sync reclocker and D1-12 are on live power. The extra recolcker in front of those is still on the older power supply. I will have to send in the large live power case to add a transformer. I never thought I would need four transformers. Once hearing two reclockers, I knew the extra live power was inevitable.

Connections are: Digital transport >> Gigafilter USB >> 1st Reclocker >> 1 AES/EBU >> 2nd Recloker (D1-12) >> 2 AES/EBUs to D1-12 L & R >> 2 XLRs to an amp.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes, one of them is the sync module of D1-12. So that sync reclocker and D1-12 are on live power. The extra recolcker in front of those is still on the older power supply. I will have to send in the large live power case to add a transformer. I never thought I would need four transformers. Once hearing two reclockers, I knew the extra live power was inevitable.

Connections are: Digital transport >> Gigafilter USB >> 1st Reclocker >> 1 AES/EBU >> 2nd Recloker (D1-12) >> 2 AES/EBUs to D1-12 L & R >> 2 XLRs to an amp.
Thanks again!

Quite similar to cascading several Mutec reclockers or several audiophile switches?

This is unexpected and very interesting!
o_O

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
For people running a single reclocker, I like to mention that two reclockers in series produce a substantial improvement for a D1-12 Mk2. One of the two reclockers is not even on live power. The ambience is notably enhanced. The rsult is much-improved soundstage dimensionality with delicate internal textures. This is an effective way to improve sound. I am confident that this approach works for any Totaldac DAC.

We now have Mk 2 reclockers. I will be anxious to find out what they bring. I know that Cmarin also runs two reclockers with live power. I may just wait for his feedback before sending in mine.
Hi PTCL,

Yes I’m currently running two MkI reclockers in series connected to a (6 transformer) live power totaldac power supply:

Taiko Extreme/Original USB Card server->Sablon USB cable->Totaldac MkI reclocker->Odin2 AES cable->Totaldac MkI reclocker-> (2) Odin2 AES cable->(2) Totaldac d1-12 MkII DAC monoblocks->(2) Odin2 XLR->(2) Totaldac d1-driver monoblocks->(2) Odin2 XLR->(2) CH Precision L1 preamp monoblocks->(2) Odin2 XLR->Totaldac AMP-1 monoblocks->(2) Odin2 Speaker cable->Rockport Lyra speakers.

I can attest that having two reclockers connected in series, as recommended by Vincent, lowered the noise floor significantly and had a corresponding impact on the emotional engagement in my system; especially in connection with the Totaldac d1-drivers and Totaldac AMP-1 monos.

I should have a pair of Totaldac MkII reclockers installed in the next few weeks that will connect to the new Taiko USB. I will report back when that happens. But I expect that the combined effect of the new Taiko USB card and the upgraded MkII reclockers will have a positive order of magnitude effect on the engagement of my system.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I should have a pair of Totaldac MkII reclockers installed in the next few weeks that will connect to the new Taiko USB. I will report back when that happens. But I expect that the combined effect of the new Taiko USB card and the upgraded MkII reclockers will have a positive order of magnitude effect on the engagement of my system.

i expect you will be quite happy.
if you haven't been able to run the new usb card yet with your totaldac due to the usb power issue, perhaps you could try the reclockers with the old usb output, evaluate the improvement due to the mk2 reclocker upgrade, then move to the taiko usb?

PTCL

Apr 9, 2018
USA
Hi PTCL,

Yes I’m currently running two MkI reclockers in series connected to a (6 transformer) live power totaldac power supply:

Taiko Extreme/Original USB Card server->Sablon USB cable->Totaldac MkI reclocker->Odin2 AES cable->Totaldac MkI reclocker-> (2) Odin2 AES cable->(2) Totaldac d1-12 MkII DAC monoblocks->(2) Odin2 XLR->(2) Totaldac d1-driver monoblocks->(2) Odin2 XLR->(2) CH Precision L1 preamp monoblocks->(2) Odin2 XLR->Totaldac AMP-1 monoblocks->(2) Odin2 Speaker cable->Rockport Lyra speakers.

I can attest that having two reclockers connected in series, as recommended by Vincent, lowered the noise floor significantly and had a corresponding impact on the emotional engagement in my system; especially in connection with the Totaldac d1-drivers and Totaldac AMP-1 monos.

Hi Cmarin,

I have a similar request as Cat6man's. If you could evaluate the new reclockers without the new usb card, I would appreciate your feedback. Of course, I understand that you may be enthusiastic to experiment with all of them together.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
i expect you will be quite happy.
if you haven't been able to run the new usb card yet with your totaldac due to the usb power issue, perhaps you could try the reclockers with the old usb output, evaluate the improvement due to the mk2 reclocker upgrade, then move to the taiko usb?
Hi cat6man and PTCL,

I would be my pleasure to do so.

Must confess that Emile (Taiko) recently updated the USB driver so that I could use the new Taiko USB card through a Berkeley Alpha USB converter (USB in->AES out) into the totaldac MkI reclocker through the AES input.

And while this configuration throttles back the overall expected impact of the new Taiko USB card a bit (due to using a lower quality AES cable than elsewhere throughout the system and using a legacy converter with a standard driver), the jump in performance over the original USB card was clearly evident - a significant order of magnitude increase in the emotional engagament and vividness of the presentation versus the original usb card.

I should be able to compare the effect of replacing the pair of MkI reclockers with the MkIIs (as soon as they are broken-in adequately) with both the new Taiko USB card and the standard USB card. Although as you can imagine, the comparison will first be done with new Taiko USB card in place ;)

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
We are waiting for your d100 speaker report!
:)
Hi CKKeung,
Well what can I say ... I was very impressed with the listening offered by the d100, a very very high level of transparency, an extremely realistic dynamic like the instruments in action and an image of a remarkable precision ... in short, a very implicant listening, without detour, direct and I rarely felt it at this level !... With the upgrades made and nice moments shared, it was a very good trip.

Life is beautiful.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
I’ve had the two new MkIi reclockers installed in the system in series for about 2 hours now.

The only difference in the system from before and now is that the MkII reclockers have replaced the MkI reclockers.

The Taiko extreme is still connected to the reclockers as before: Extreme/Taiko usb card->Berkeley Apha converter->AES cable->Reclocker1–>AES cable->Reclocker 2.

All I can say is wow...the MkIIs even though not close to being broken-in, have produced a significant jump in the emotional and visceral listening experience in my room over the MkIs

The most noticeable change is not so much that the images are more solid and more fully fleshed with great tonality and texture, but that voices and the instruments now project their sound pressure profile dynamically out into the room in a natural way that sounds and feels much more realistically live than before; and not by a small margin. You can’t help but be engaged in the music in an effortless way

The MkIIs are a transformative product especially when coupled with the Taiko Extreme (TAS server, usb card and OS), the totaldac d1-12 MkII DAC, the totaldac d1-drivers and mono amp-1s.

Congratulations Vincent. Bravo!!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing