The Early Wadia Products

AVphile

Mar 14, 2020
When Wadia first came out, I invested in a Wadia 8 transport and a Wadia Digital Decoding Computer 2000 (which has been updated to the final version of its operating software). While I still use the Wadia 8 as my primary transport for CDs, these days I primarily use my Theta Casablanca V for decoding CDs. However, from time to time, I still switch to my DDC 2000 -- when I want a softer, more melodious sound.

I am curious whether others have hung on to their DDC2000s -- or am I wasting space on my rack keeping it around,

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
As long as you are enjoying the unit, you are not wasting space at all. Aaaah…. How I lusted after Wadia in the old days. Equivalent to Wadax now. I couldn’t afford the wadia back then, can’t afford the Wadax now…. So much for progress :rolleyes::p

• Haha
Reactions: dcathro

AVphile

Mar 14, 2020
Yesterday, I experimented by playing various CDs using my Wadia 8 transport -- first using my Wadia 2000 DDC (DAC) into my Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor and then using the DAC boards (fully balanced circuit topology, Burr Brown PCM-1792 DACs with two per channel, and fully discrete resistor ladder volume controls). Finally, I streamed (the same tracks from either Tidal or Qobuz) using my Lumin T2 streamer DAC (which employs dual Sabre 9028 DAC chips).

The results (for the most part, but with exceptions): the Wadia was softer and duller than the other two; the Casablanca V was often harsh and bright -- so much so that it was downright unpleasant, which was a shock to me given how expensive it is (~$40K); in most cases, the Lumin sounded the best, although its ability to extract detail was not consistent.

My conclusion is that the technologies for DAC processing and analog audio continue to progress. Consequently, I need to purchase a high-quality, state-of-the-art DAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing