the drifters

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
what a group, what a menu of hits, what lead singers-I'm talking about the group started by the great-clyde mcphatter in[1953]and from the start they hit with-money honey-bip bam-fools fall in love-let the boogie woogie roll...and they still rolled on after clyde left with david baugh-johnny moore-Gerhard thrasher-ben e.king-charley Thomas-bill pinkney-doc green, and they cranked em out-there goes my baby-save the last dance for me-steamboat-there was a tear-true love true love-on broadway-up on the roof-under the boardwalk-I got sand in my shoes, and even in the seventies they were still hitting with[like sister and brother]one of the classic groups ever!

Reactions: Alrainbow

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What are some of the other groups that in your opinion are "classic groups"? I don't own much music from the early days (the 50's) of chart-topping bands.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
What are some of the other groups that in your opinion are "classic groups"? I don't own much music from the early days (the 50's) of chart-topping bands.

The Platters definitely fit the bill. Songs such as "The Great Pretender", "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", "My Prayer" "The Magic Touch" are classics.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Platters definitely fit the bill. Songs such as "The Great Pretender", "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", "My Prayer" "The Magic Touch" are classics.

Indeed. Forgot about them. :eek:

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
the orioles-little Anthony and the imperials-the crows[gee]-Frankie lymon and the teenagers]-the flamingoes[who inspired the temptations]-the isley brothers-the coasters[the clown princes of rock an roll]-the five royales.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Delphonics, Martha and the Vandellas, oh yeah.........:)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
The Fleetwoods

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Everly Bros
The Diamonds

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gosh guys

for those of us old enough this is like a walk down memory lane as all names mentioned were all favorites of mine however Jim still-one name my all time favorite "The Platters"

High school dances on Fridays nights were never over unless some of the Platters' ballads were sung

Has any one mentioned Johnny Mathis

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Gosh guys

for those of us old enough this is like a walk down memory lane as all names mentioned were all favorites of mine however Jim still-one name my all time favorite "The Platters"

High school dances on Fridays nights were never over unless some of the Platters' ballads were sung

Has any one mentioned Johnny Mathis

Steve, we all had a special song with our girlfriends back then. Ours was Johnny Mathis's "Twelfth of Never".

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ours was The Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You

BTW: I have won several Karaoke contests singing this song! :D

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Quintin taratino films
always seem to use old gems I llove. Sorry for not spelling his name correct lol.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I was a dj during the golden disco times
the tramps had a drummer who I read made the disco cymbols sound on high hats. He was from a group in the 50/60 before tramps

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing