The Die Is Cast-I've Crossed The Rubicon-Ed Pong Has Made me a Classical Music Lover

The last several tapes produced by Ed Pong and Ultraanalogue Recordings have just gotten better by quantum leaps. I have always liked Classical music but never in an authoritative fashion. Little by little Ed Pong has gotten to me with the release of his tapes. IMO the last two tapes were probably the best produced by Ed and in fact my good friend Marty was visiting several months ago when I played him one of Ed's tapes after which he proclaimed it to be the best recording of a violin he has ever heard

Well along comes Ed's most recent tape that I received several days ago and only today found some time to sit down and listen

IMG_0102.jpg

Tatsuki Narita is a gifted violinist and in this album he brings his "A"game as always but with a gusto that raised goose bumps on my arms.This album was recorded in studio (I think) rather than in a live session as Ed has done in the past

I can say unequivocally that if you are in to Reel 2 reel this album is not only a must have but for my ears it is truly the best tape I have EVER heard. Period. End of story. This album is so ell recorded that I didn't move for the entire recording.The timber and dynamics are staggering

I reached out earlier to Ed to commend him on the release of such a fantastic album and to pick his brain as to what was done differently in this recording

Here are his comments......

Nothing to the recording electronics...
Rug under violinist to dampen hi freq floor reflections

Big change was the violin, bow & piano... the source...

I had legendary French bow maker Alain Herou here to rehair & adjust the camber of 2 great bows Tatsuki uses... Tatsuki only goes to Paris to have him rehair his bows every 3 months... he said no one in Japan or anywhere can do it... wow, so i got him here for this recording!

I had a new soundpost made in Boston by Andrew Ryan which totally transformer the resonance, response & ring of the violin... my jaw just dropped when I heard it in Boston....

The piano was voiced softer to give it more ring & bloom...

I think it all came together... I love the depth & roundedness of the sound, even the piano when he hammers it... it had weight but was never hard...

Ed, this one really rang my bell. I have honestly never heard a tape recorded so well and so realistic as this last one by Tatsuki

This album is not only top shelf but has just become my number one demo tape for visitors. This one is off the wall

Kudos Ed for the joy you bring us tape heads. Hopefully at some point I am going to convince you to release your work on vinyl as well as hi rez digital

Hopefully after all this is over. I think my wife will kill me spending that much for one file right now.

It's actually 5 files which make up an entire tape from Ed's productions. I think it’s a great deal as each tape is well over several hundred dollars

I've changed the price to $49.95.... I'm sorry it's seems a bit high, but I want it to reflect that these are special new recordings of world class artists... recorded with the best electronics Tony & I can dream up!

I chose this recording because this tape has been universally loved... here's The Reel to Reel Rambler, David Denyer's review of the tape...
https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/20...al-masterclass-from-ultraanalogue-recordings/

Also, these are 1st generation digital transfers directly from the 15ips analogue master tape..
The DSD recording is true DSD, not converted to PCM to edit then converted back to DSD....

Ed

Last edited:
I've changed the price to $49.95.... I'm sorry it's seems a bit high, but I want it to reflect that these are special new recordings of world class artists... recorded with the best electronics Tony & I can dream up!

I chose this recording because this tape has been universally loved... here's The Reel to Reel Rambler, David Denyer's review of the tape...
https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/20...al-masterclass-from-ultraanalogue-recordings/

Also, these are 1st generation digital transfers directly from the 15ips analogue master tape..
The DSD recording is true DSD, not converted to PCM to edit then converted back to DSD....

Ed

Great. Can we know what hardware and software was used for each format?
Any special price for those wanting to try both versions? ;)

First, I want to say, what's most important is the equipment to record the master tape & the instruments recorded...
I would say the master tapes have a naturalness & timbre very close to the live event...

More importantly, the master tape was played thru my highly modified Studer A80 with a WE437a based playback amp with all silver transformers... This signal path allows the very low level signals thru - hence the transparency & air will "put you in the room"...

Personally I feel DSD is closest to the analogue master. These DSD128 files were recorded with a Korg MR200s.
The 24/192kHz flac files are derived from these DSD files... really to allow people who could not play DSD128 files the ability to hear them.

Steve has heard both formats & maybe can comment...

As to a price for both formats... I would do $90 for both... It's not on the website right now, but if there is any interest for that, it certainly can be added as an option...

Last edited:
Joe

all I can say is Ed's tapes are mesmerizing and are some of the best recorded music I own. Ed takes great passion in his work and has truly mastered his recording chain from start to finish. They are a "you are there moment"

I have said many times I know very little about classical music but over the years I find myself owning every one of Ed's tapes

IMO you won't hear better recorded violin , cellar piano and he continues to find world class up and coming performers

Not everyone can play tape so finally Ed has released his first digital album so more enthusiasts can marvel at his music.

These tapes have cost me a small fortune but they all occupy top shelf in my tape library. I've heard both versions of the new digital files and the DSD is just a tad smoother to my ears than the 24/192 but TBH I also really enjoyed that version as well. These are far from black and white comparisons. Pick one or the other and enjoy

It says he has been loaned a Stradivarius the tartini and a Guaneri del Gesu Kroll

which did he use for his recording Ed ?

be interested in the timbre between these two

It says he has been loaned a Stradivarius the tartini and a Guaneri del Gesu Kroll

which did he use for his recording Ed ?

be interested in the timbre between these two
He used a del Gesu in this recording... it has a more human voice compared to the Strad

First, I want to say, what's most important is the equipment to record the master tape & the instruments recorded...
I would say the master tapes have a naturalness & timbre very close to the live event...

More importantly, the master tape was played thru my highly modified Studer A80 with a WE437a based playback amp with all silver transformers... This signal path allows the very low level signals thru - hence the transparency & air will "put you in the room"...

Personally I feel DSD is closest to the analogue master. These DSD128 files were recorded with a Korg MR200s.
The 24/192kHz flac files are derived from these DSD files... really to allow people who could not play DSD128 files the ability to hear them.

Steve has heard both formats & maybe can comment...

As to a price for both formats... I would do $90 for both... It's not on the website right now, but if there is any interest for that, it certainly can be added as an option...

Thanks , I will order the DSD128 version later today - I have a few files in this format and DSD128 sounds really good in the DCS Vivaldi. Just in time for Easter!

Thanks , I will order the DSD128 version later today - I have a few files in this format and DSD128 sounds really good in the DCS Vivaldi. Just in time for Easter!
Thanks!
In the download, after checking out with Paypal, the "Return to Merchant" will take you back & usually the files are there to download.. if they don't show there, you will always get an email with the 5 files to download soon after.... be sure the email you enter in the site is correct!
Hope you like it!
Happy Easter!

Ed

Downloaded the Narita recording last weekend. Superb sonics and performance. Virtually quiet--no tape hiss or background noise. Great dynamics too. I'll be a buyer for more when Ed releases them.
They really are superb. Glad you’re enjoying them. Only thing better are Ed’s tapes But as you say the digital files are very quiet yet extremely dynamic

Downloaded the Narita recording last weekend. Superb sonics and performance. Virtually quiet--no tape hiss or background noise. Great dynamics too. I'll be a buyer for more when Ed releases them.
I'm very happy to announce I have 3 more digital downloads on the website now!
1) Mendelssohn Violin Concerto with star violinist Alena Baeva & Van Cliburn winner Vadym Kholodenko (Steve loves this tape)
2) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.5 (Spring) with Alena & Vadym
3) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.7 with violinist Xiang Yu & Yun-Yang Lee

Please have a look! https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/shop-digital-downloads/
More coming soon!
Enjoy!
Ed

Reactions: Steve Williams
I'm very happy to announce I have 3 more digital downloads on the website now!
1) Mendelssohn Violin Concerto with star violinist Alena Baeva & Van Cliburn winner Vadym Kholodenko (Steve loves this tape)
2) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.5 (Spring) with Alena & Vadym
3) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.7 with violinist Xiang Yu & Yun-Yang Lee

Please have a look! https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/shop-digital-downloads/
More coming soon!
Enjoy!
Ed
Initially Tatsuki Narita was my favorite violinist that Ed recorded. However Alena Baeva is now my favorite.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing