The [coffee snobs'] espresso thread

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hi Steve,

Just thought we would let you know that inspired by your enthusiasm and clear track record for being incredibly discerning...we just made that first step away from Nespresso and bought a very simple Jura, the A1 which simply makes espresso but where you have 3 settings of volume for the water. We never used all the frothing, milk things that came with the Nespresso machines we have owned over the years (at least 3 I think)...so we figured the less to break the better.

Looking forward to trying it!!! What coffee do you recommend? We have had Blue Mountain when we were in Vietnam...mindblowingly good. But for everyday drinking and adding cold milk anyway, thanks for any thoughts on what great whole bean coffees you like that are more widely available (since we are in London, the unique boutique local brands are probably different than in California, but presumably the bigger names are available).

Congrats!

Check out Traction Coffee:

https://traction.coffee/

Keep your eyes open for some new Geshas going up soon! If you try them DON'T put any milk in them, they are too delicate for that! If you haven't tried a Gesha they are very aromatic, floral and delicate, some are barely recognizable as coffee. Otherwise the Colombia Esperanza, the natural Ethopian and Summer Blend are also awesome.

Here's a recent heart... these are really difficult to get right!

Reactions: rubinken and rando

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
Reactions: ack

12elfthfloor

Apr 28, 2019
Thailand
View attachment 63223 I’ve had my trusty and much loved ECM Giotto since 2000 and have pulled easily 20,000 shots off it since then. Have been considering retiring it and going for a final destination espresso machine to take me out into the future. With an approaching lockdown imminent I moved and went the upgrade.
View attachment 63224
Welcome to the new ECM Technika V with Pid and Profi pump. Had the flow rate kit fitted so I can flow rate profile to emulate lever extractions and do properly long pre-infusions. I had a Mazzer mini manual that I had bought back in 2000 also. Such a good machine. Now replaced with the new Mazzer mini electronic B. Good goes awesome and extra sexy as well.

Have also gone an Acaia lunar scale and a naked ECM bottomless portafilter, ECM tamper station and Rhino dosing cup...

and an Espro calibrated 58.35mm tamp with an OCD 58.5mm levelling tool.
View attachment 63225 View attachment 63226
OCD by name and OCD by nature :D. After dialling in the grinder and getting used to working the flow rate lever today I have pulled the two best shots I’ve ever pulled in a row and amongst some of the best coffees I’ve ever had. Super happy. If there’s a lockdown the espressos aren’t going to be shabby, plenty of time to work on my technique as we’re starting working from home on Monday :cool:.

I know im a few months late but great set up! I used to be all in with a rocket R58 with VST baskets and shower screen a distribution tool. They all make a difference! One of the variables I got rid of was the tamp, I moved to the puqpress which helped. The last was modifying a small whisk to stir the grinds in the basket before using the distribution tool. This was essential using the mazzer mini e to break down some of the clumps.

Using a naked and this method the results were the best I could get from this setup.

When visitors came I would do all this with my back turned to reduce the chances of being taken to the funny farm :)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Nice... Naked porta is such a great thing to be able to see if the shot is channeling, its a lovely ritual. Thanks also for the tip... will try the whisk out thanks 12elfthfloor.

Funny farm is of course the expected outcome for all of us in this... and then in audio in general :)

Last edited:

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com

12elfthfloor

Apr 28, 2019
Thailand
Peeps have to walk past my hifi to get to the kitchen for a coffee... sigh my red tshirt pales in colour to my cheeks :)
20200808_080417.jpg I am sure you have it all worked out but if a picure helps....

The catcha is 54 mm not 58 mm so slightly narrower. Ill do the 58 next.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Lol

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Waitrose, Illy, all are not that good. Try from various roasteries, you can order online. Recently we have been ordering from extract coffee roasters, their Brazil, Mexico, Rwanda, and the limited edition Columbia were all very good. Their decaf is excellent as well. Not expensive.

Extract are OK but Wogan is quite a bit cheaper and amazingly better.

Extract do pretty packaging. Wogan is located very close to Extract here in Bristol.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Extract do pretty packaging. Wogan is located very close to Extract here in Bristol.

Ok will try Wogan. So far have tried all of Monmouth, kiss the hippo, Harrods, wood street, and a few random ones. Very happy with extract.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Ok will try Wogan. So far have tried all of Monmouth, kiss the hippo, Harrods, wood street, and a few random ones. Very happy with extract.

Buy by the KG and the value is excellent. But to start just try a few unblended ones at 250g to get an idea. I am rarely disappointed if ever really.

Like Extract, there is a house taste and I am sure its just down to the roasting techniques and roasters themselves.

Extract do a great job on their marketing and coffee roaster hype but I really do think Wogan is better and others have agreed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Buy by the KG and the value is excellent. But to start just try a few unblended ones at 250g to get an idea. I am rarely disappointed if ever really.

Like Extract, there is a house taste and I am sure its just down to the roasting techniques and roasters themselves.

Extract do a great job on their marketing and coffee roaster hype but I really do think Wogan is better and others have agreed.

I always buy the smaller packs to try various ones. Coffee is consumed over days so cost doesn't matter, gets spread, and I get to try many roasteries that by buying small packs

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
IMG_20200411_123142.jpg
I always buy the smaller packs to try various ones. Coffee is consumed over days so cost doesn't matter, gets spread, and I get to try many roasteries that by buying small packs

Check out the Team to help the NHS. Universally liked on another hi-fi forum. Not cheap but arrives quickly from Scotland. It's lovely. Despite the alien bug in the coffee.

IMG_20200422_095543.jpg

Reactions: bonzo75 and ack

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
View attachment 68060

Check out the Team to help the NHS. Universally liked on another hi-fi forum. Not cheap but arrives quickly from Scotland. It's lovely. Despite the alien bug in the coffee.

View attachment 68061

Btw, I have my coffee black, not with milk. That changes preferences a lot, because I used to, but with better coffee I prefer it black.

Reactions: rando

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Bonzo75. Ordered a few bags to start. Looking forward to the Jura and some good coffee. Stay tuned.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Thanks! looking into this as well...fun!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Arrived...tried the Jura A1 with the Extract Coffee...purely for coffee (no bells/whistles for milk)...excellent quality coffee. One of the few times we could drink coffee 'neat' and really enjoy it. Thanks for introducing us to Jura! And to the world of fresh coffee beans...the fact that the 'extra cost' for the machine pays for itself in less than one year (even factoring in these boutique/artisanal coffees) in comparison to a Nespresso is also great.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Arrived...tried the Jura with the Extract Coffee...excellent. One of the few times we could drink coffee 'neat' and really enjoy it. Thanks for introducing us to Jura! And to the world of fresh coffee beans...the fact that the 'extra cost' for the machine pays for itself in less than one year (even factoring in these boutique/artisanal coffees) in comparison to a Nespresso is also great.

What did you get from extract? In terms of single origin location

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good coffee has to be drunk neat, not with milk. And good sushi should not be had with wasabi, and you don't need ketchup for good eggs

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What did you get from extract? In terms of single origin location
Original, Cast Iron and Dr. Strangeglove. We tried the latter first. More to come. What do you recommend?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing