The Borgias

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm shocked that no one has commented yet on Season 3 of The Borgias. This show IMO continues to deliver at all levels. The writing, acting, cinematography and maintaining the story true to its history is what keeps me on the edge of my seat. The show seems to gain momentum with each season as the plot to assassinate the corrupt Pope Alexandre and his entire family begins to unfold along with all of the skillful alliances the Borgia family creates in order to maintain the papacy.

Ron Jeremy is superb as the Pope as well as Francois Arnaud as Caesare and Holliday Grainger as the beautiful Lucrezia Borgia. Episode 4 of Season 3 is tomorrow so if you haven't seen Season 4 yet, I say don't miss it. This is drama at its very best

Season 3 begins as the Pope lies dying from an assasination attempt from cantarella

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3 is shocking

Simply stunning television. My wife and I block out Sunday nights for our shows which include:

Borgias, Homeland, Newsroom. Game Of Thrones, Vikings.

I watch Californication and House Of Lies my self.

rrr

May 17, 2010
We prefer to watch two episodes at a time so now I have three episodes saved and we can start Season 3 at any time.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Borgias is another great Showtime series. I'm enjoying it very much. I agree with Steve this series is getting stronger each season. I loved the interplay between the Pope's son Juan and Caterina Sforza during the siege at her castle. Sforza is some piece of work:D I don't think she'll be winning any "Mother of the year" awards.

yeh but while Juan was outside torturing Katerina's son the other brother Cesare was inside the castle servicing Katerina. Ah to have been a cardinal in the Catholic church at that time :)

Steve Williams

well guys a bit off topic but my other favorites apart from what Andre mentioned are The Big C which starts it's new season this Monday April 29th. Also our other favorite (other than Boardwalk Empire which does not start soon and is my all time favorite with Homeland) which begins its 8th and final season end of June is Dexter. We are riveted to the screen with that show and season 8 will bring everything to light. How will it end for Dexter as well as his sister Deb who has now committed miurder for Dexter

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
well guys a bit off topic but my other favorites apart from what Andre mentioned are The Big C which starts it's new season this Monday April 29th. Also our other favorite (other than Boardwalk Empire which does not start soon and is my all time favorite with Homeland) which begins its 8th and final season end of June is Dexter. We are riveted to the screen with that show and season 8 will bring everything to light. How will it end for Dexter as well as his sister Deb who has now committed miurder for Dexter

I completely forgot about Boardwalk Empire..in our top 3.

rrr

May 17, 2010

If one of your favorites is Homeland, you would enjoy "Prisoners of War" which is the original series from Israel that was the basis for Homeland and is, in my opinion, superior. You can find it on the DL sites with subs, it is also called "Hatufim". Two seasons are available.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
If one of your favorites is Homeland, you would enjoy "Prisoners of War" which is the original series from Israel that was the basis for Homeland and is, in my opinion, superior. You can find it on the DL sites with subs, it is also called "Hatufim". Two seasons are available.

Yes, thanks for the reminder...I had read about it last year. I understand it is available either on Netflix or Hulu.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I'm shocked that no one has commented yet on Season 3 of The Borgias.

Ron Jeremy is superb as the Pope as well as Francois Arnaud as Caesare and Holliday Grainger as the beautiful Lucrezia Borgia.

I find it heartening that this actor has shown such range. I'm sure Jeremy Irons is just as pleased.

:)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have enjoyed all three seasons of The Borgia's. I became interested in this period after reading Mario Puzo's "The Family" his take of these incredible individuals.

Steve Williams

Neil Jordan (aka The Crying Game) the brains behind the series serves not only as creator of the series but also Producer, Director as well as Writer. The story holds true to history.

BTW, has anyone seen a true picture of Lucrezia Borgia. Pretty obese and ugly as compared to the very beautiful Holliday Grainger who portrays her in the series

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Gotta love how the episode ended last night. Let's see - illegitimate children and incest. Pretty good. What's next? :) Oh, the brother having to watch his sister be deflowered?

Steve Williams

Season 3 continues IMO to be better even than the other 2 however terrible news today..........

Showtime Officially Cancels The Borgias – Find Out How It Was Supposed to End

By Michael Ausiello | TVLine.com

It’s official: The Borgias‘ Season 3 finale on June 16 will now function as a series finale.
Showtime on Wednesday cancelled the Jeremy Irons-fronted period drama, and also scrapped plans for a two-hour wrap-up movie.

“When they looked at what it could cost, it was just too expensive,” series creator Neil Jordan told Deadline. “I would have loved to bring all the characters to a conclusion. All of the actors were heartbroken we couldn’t continue, and so was I.”
Had the telepic been given a green light, viewers would have been treated to what Jordan calls a “totally biblical ending” featuring “the Pope dying and no one willing to hear his confession. When they finally find a confessor and the Pope starts to repent his sins, the confessor interrupts him, saying, ‘I’m sorry, it’s too late, you’re already dead and burning in hell.’”

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Season 3 continues IMO to be better even than the other 2 however terrible news today..........

It’s official: The Borgias‘ Season 3 finale on June 16 will now function as a series finale.
Showtime on Wednesday cancelled the Jeremy Irons-fronted period drama, and also scrapped plans for a two-hour wrap-up movie.

“When they looked at what it could cost, it was just too expensive,” series creator Neil Jordan told Deadline. “I would have loved to bring all the characters to a conclusion. All of the actors were heartbroken we couldn’t continue, and so was I.”
Had the telepic been given a green light, viewers would have been treated to what Jordan calls a “totally biblical ending” featuring “the Pope dying and no one willing to hear his confession. When they finally find a confessor and the Pope starts to repent his sins, the confessor interrupts him, saying, ‘I’m sorry, it’s too late, you’re already dead and burning in hell.’”

That's too bad, I was really getting into it :( Didn't know though what I liked more: the incest, treachery or the thread of the forthcoming Plague :)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

That is disappointing. I have followed the show since it was first announced. The Borgia Family has intrigued me since I read Mario Puzzo's novel "The Family".

I was hoping that a Season 4 would have covered the years from the Jubilee year of 1500 to when he died in 1503.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
That's too bad, I was really getting into it :( Didn't know though what I liked more: the incest, treachery or the thread of the forthcoming Plague :)
A savvy network could pick it up for a final season with the right push to market for fans, and a good eye on budget. These TV series are far better than most of the theatrical films, at least the mainstream ones....
Oh, and btw, I get my dose of incest, treachery and the Plague by watching the nightly news. :)
*Non-political statement disclaimer.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A savvy network could pick it up for a final season with the right push to market for fans, and a good eye on budget. These TV series are far better than most of the theatrical films, at least the mainstream ones....
Oh, and btw, I get my dose of incest, treachery and the Plague by watching the nightly news. :)
*Non-political statement disclaimer.

We live in an very rural area that you couldn't get your feet wet walking in the gene pool. When you are walking around a store, you hear comments like "Clemotis, get off your sister."

Steve Williams

Did any of you see the season 3 finale of the Borgias (which has turned into the Series finale) this past week

For me I loved this show. Great cast of characters and true to history. Unfortunately the sheer cost of producing these episodes must have been prohibitive to the point that Showtime canceled the series.

What a shame that another of the cable giants don't pick up this show until its completion

I thought that the last episode laid ground for the coming season(s) where Pope Alexandre says to his son Cesare, "get me a kingdom and I will make you both king and a Pope"

The episode finishes with Alexandre planning on changing the very way that the college of Cardinals select a new Pope. It was Alexandre's plan to pass the role of Pope to his son (as God wished it) and to have this continue for generations to come until the Borgia family had a dynasty to rule over

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve
Yes we watched that final episode with the knowledge that they were not going to tie up all of the loose ends. At least they didn't leave it with a cliff hanger rather as you note options for how the show could have headed if there was a Season 4. I actually preferred Seasons 1 & 2 over 3.

It was a good show that we looked forward to each week but for me it did not live up to The Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood or Rome.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing