The best plug in filter ever!

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
As with drugs (my doctor recommended taking Tylenol and Motrin together for back pain) some mixtures work and some don't; a couple of pills is good but a handful is too many. Experimentation will reveal the optimum number and mix of noise filters. In my system two Purons are better than but not twice as good as one. Their value is cumulative when used with my four Nordost QV2/two QK1 combo, single Akiko Triple AC Enhancer, and Lessloss Firewall CMARC 640X. Ditched the High Fidelity MC-0.5's which I hear no audible benefit from as part of this grouping.
Old adage: The difference between a medicine and poison is the dosage

Reactions: Gregadd

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
This is THE thing that frustrates me....

I hear of these things. You buy one? Wow! (Reviews)

Then you need three. Or more.

Either they work or they don't. I get why they work but the end result as to what hit's my ears is THE only thing that matters. I don't mind spending the money but come on.

Just HOW much of a difference do they make? I hear of them plugged into Power conditioners that "supposedly" do the same exact thing.I hear of them on the same circuit. I hear of multiples of the same unit making the same difference on many available outlets within the circuit.

Be truthful.

Do they do what they say they do or are they BS? Are they the last 10% of noise reduction without sound compromise or not? Do they seriously lower the noise floor without detrimental deficiencies to the imaging/sound stage?

Tom
Hello all and good afternoon to you. When I made this post last year, I had not tried a filter lately due to when I did try some in the past, they either didn't do anything or they restricted the sound in some way. This was a very long time ago.

The OP's (as well as subsequent) posts perked my interest in these devices once again because these filters seem to simply clean the electrical path, they are passive and the power does not run directly through them, with no way to bypass the filter before hitting your gear. You simply remove them from the outlet(s) if they become detrimental to the end result or if they work better in a different location.

Since this last post, instead of getting the Puron's.......just to experiment first at a lower cost? I tried one iPurifier and got a deal I couldn't pass up on 3 PS Audio noise harvesters. I heard very little change (subtle) when I had just the iPurifier. I couldn't really put my finger on what had changed and to be honest, I thought that maybe it didn't do anything but "something" was different. If I had to have described it at the time, I would have said very little to no change and what change their was, it was extremely hard to detect/notice.

It was when I added the 3 PS NH's into the circuit that I heard more of what I couldn't put my finger on describing. It wasn't actually more. It was less, which in turn, gave you more.

After about the third day, I really started liking what I was hearing and the changes became more noticeable. Noticeable enough to where I no longer had to strain to hear the changes. It did become apparent that their was less noise and a quieter background, which, in turn, allowed you hear much more of the macro and micro dynamics within the playback effort.

So, I'd like to remind you that my BS flag was flying high on these little devices when I first made the post above in December. Really high, honestly. But that still didn't stop my curiosity. So, I tried one and was honestly gonna return the iPurifier because of the hardly detectable change it made but I kept thinking that I am not doing what is suggested here. That suggestion being that they are a cumulative effect. So, when I saw the deal for 3 PS Audio Noise Harvesters, I decided that this would (at the very least) give the experiment a fair shake, instead of just immediately dismissing the entire idea of using them again.

Now? I am glad I did. I was so impressed with what these little things did to the end result as to what now hits my ears, that I just ordered 5 Puron's for the system.

Everyone's system is different and I was honestly thinking I was wasting my money when I started experimenting again. I'll admit, I was wrong and my strong skepticism was unfounded (even with some prior experience with them). Everyone knows that there is an abundance of snake oil, BS audio products out there, so I never feel bad about waving my BS flag high with certain things. In this case? What some people have reported, I have actually heard (or not heard) in my own system.

Hopefully, I can hear even more (or less, depending on how you view it) when the Puron's hit. There are some reports that did not happen with my rig.....but also without using the Puron's. Thanks for the posts, the feedback and perking my ears up once again with these little things. This go around, I am actually looking forward to what they can do and my BS flag is no longer flying high.

If you do try them? Please understand that this is not like replacing a tube, a TT cartridge or an amplifier. It's not gonna be a night and day change. Depending on the quality and backbone/structure of your incoming electrical and associated room EMI/RMI? They may not make any difference at all. But, (as I discovered) they will (or have the potential to) offer you that last little bit of what you didn't even know you were missing out on. To some? These may be a waste of money. To me? Worth every penny spent so far.

That should be pretty obvious, seeing as how now I have 5 of the suggested Puron filters on the way. I'll slide the ones I currently have over to the secondary rig or the LR setup to see what (if any) difference they make to the system/video out there. Based upon my experience in the listening room? I should be happy with the end result.

Tom

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Results of a few weeks evaluation: Yes, the Puron is a keeper and an inexpensive and easy to try tweak that rewards more than you would expect. I got darker backgrounds with increased detail and transparency with less etch and more liquidity. Bass is enhanced some in my system, and a bit more taught. It does this without messing with the overall balance, it does not damp or darken the sound, in fact reveals more air. And does not impact dynamics/slam.
I found, at first with no break-in it softened the bass and was otherwise just okay. Then with two weeks plugged in the bass tightens (I mean low, middle and upper bass) and it improves the sound. Worth the money. But break in is a good two weeks. I plug mine into a regular appliance (kitchen) outlet where the appliance is running 24/7 for a good initial break in.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Open to all question:
Can Puron be expected to improve TV?
My thought is to try one there and if so, after breakin, move to audio system to try.
I am already using Muon Pro before server in audio system.

Reactions: tarquineous

Republicoftexas69

Open to all question:
My thought is to try one there and if so, after breakin, move to audio system to try.
I do not own a TV so I can not answer but it is awesome in my audio application.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Open to all question:

I didn't notice a TV improvement with the Nordost QV1, which did help the audio noticeably (haven't tried the Puron). But I have found that with a regenerator, good power cords and USB cables, an Audioquest Vodka HDMI and an inline cable isolator, along with good TV settings, one can get an excellent picture.

Last edited:

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Puron used on Video Equipment?

I have 3 dedicated lines. One line is for my Main audio system, one for my subs and one for my Video equipment.
On each of these lines I now have 2 Puron filters.

Your question about video? Yes, the Puron"s provide a very nice improvement on my Samsung 85" utilizing Dish eq, and Oppo 205. The picture is not only sharper but more colorful and natural looking.

Highly recommended.

ozzy

Reactions: dbeau

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Puron used on Video Equipment?

I have 3 dedicated lines. One line is for my Main audio system, one for my subs and one for my Video equipment.
On each of these lines I now have 2 Puron filters.

Your question about video? Yes, the Puron"s provide a very nice improvement on my Samsung 85" utilizing Dish eq, and Oppo 205. The picture is not only sharper but more colorful and natural looking.

Highly recommended.

ozzy
When you utilize two Purons are they both in wall sockets or in power strips or split between the two?

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
They are both in the wall socket that the power conditioners (Niagara 7000, 1200, 1000) are plugged into. Each dedicated line has a wall quad outlet with Furutech NCF outlets.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am following up on my installation of the 5 Puron's.

To sum it up, the change in my system was immediate upon plugging them all in. I moved the iFi Purifier and the 3 PS Audio conditioners out to the office/LR and kept the Puron's all located in the stereo room. I could immediately tell that these, do in fact work in cleaning up the noise and lowering the noise floor. Within about 5 minutes or so, the rig started sounding a little thin, as if the weight of the performances had slightly but noticeably withered away but was quickly regained after about a half hour or so. Not too much discernible change other than that, right off the bat. Now, keep in mind that I just fired up the system for the first time in 4 days, so this was from a cold start.

As the system started warming up, I noticed that I could increase the volume quite a bit before I started to overload the room. I don't mean by a notch or two out of 100, I mean by like 10 to 15 notches (on average), listening to the same songs that get regular rotation.

At right about 30 minutes in, the weight came back and I put in Jame's Blake's, "A Limit to your Love". Holy crap! While I had plenty of definition when that sound hit (those of you who know this song, know exactly what I am talking about), it was a whole lot different now. There were many more notes and effects during those passages. So much more information was able to be "released" and the sonic benefit was outstanding.

I am hearing very subtle sounds on tracks that I am very familiar with, as well as new sounds that apparently were always there, just masked. Now, this does not happen on every track but on those tracks were the presentation has changed and new sounds are unmasked, it's wonderful to experience.

That said, I cannot really comment (or put my finger on) the changes that have happened since my first listening session but it does sound even cleaner in the mids and upper frequencies. The lower registers have gotten even tighter, with more texture/definition and a sense of tautness/impact that I honestly didn't expect.

I am now on day 3 with the Puron's and I fired up the rig this morning, as I was working at home today with a co-worker of mine in the office all day long. I just put on Qobuz and let 'er rip randomly on my playlist. He is not familiar with my rig (other than hearing it a couple of times) and I didn't mention anything to him but they were brought up in conversation because he asked what I did to the system. I asked him, "Why"?

He stated that it sounded, "cleaner". Not bad, coming from someone who was listening from a couple of rooms away from the rig itself, not even being real familiar with the rig.

When the OP made this thread in December, my BS flag was flying really high with regards to these Puron's. The empirical evidence of this thread, as well as other comments eleswhere, compelled me to go ahead and give them a whirl. Especially after trying some other models of purifiers in my system. My flag has been lowered and I can honestly now recommend these Puron's. Mine will not be going back.

FWIW,

Tom

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Look forward to hearing what happens after giving them a good time to settle. I never found the PS Audio Noise Harvester to have any effect in the wall outlet.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I just ordered 3 more.
That will make 3 Puron's per each of my 3 dedicated lines. And, I also have one in my AC strip for my Router/Modem/Uptone Regen/After Dark/linear power supply room.

ozzy

Republicoftexas69

More is not always better.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
More is not always better.
Why do you say this?

I am in no way confronting. I am, however, curious as to how you came to this conclusion.

Please advise and thanks.

Tom

Republicoftexas69

Why do you say this?

I am in no way confronting. I am, however, curious as to how you came to this conclusion.

Please advise and thanks.

Tom
Tom.

So your car holds 5.4 quarts of oil is 6.4 better? Nope. As an engineer there is always a point of diminishing returns. Working in the EV market we were very quick to learn this. About as deep as I am going to go. More is not always better, and in electronics it can lead to negative results.

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
In my case and with differing conditioners? (This includes the 5 Puron's in said room)....

The result is undeniable and NOT subtle...

Please keep in mind, I thought these devices were BS when this thread was introduced. In my rig, I have been taught otherwise. FWIW.

This *may not be the case* with everyone out there, as noise within said circuit could be minimal but apparently in my case? This was not the case, even though I could not detect it prior too. It will be interesting if they have the same effect after I get the new room built with 4 or 5 dedicated, star grounded lines installed.

That said, based upon my experience? They will still clean up the electrical noise leading to the system. Noise jumps legs of the phase.

Tom

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
So your car holds 5.4 quarts of oil is 6.4 better? Nope. As an engineer there is always a point of diminishing returns.
Ouch what a bad metaphor.

While it’s true that returns can diminish, it’s often impossible to know when one is even close to reaching that point with enhancements like these plugs. With oil in a car engine, returns don’t actually diminish. Either there’s enough oil to keep the oil pressure within the appropriate range, or there’s not and wear starts occurring. Even the loss of as much of quart of oil doesn’t cause returns to diminish (but the oil breaking down can do that).

As far as these plugs, I’m sure there will be a point of diminishing returns. But to caution against more without knowing where that point lies or even how close @treitz3 is, seems highly speculative.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Fair enough, Ken. Speculative is warranted in my case.

I have not removed said Puron's within my system. I get where you are coming from. I do.

With that said? Time has marched on and the streaming portion of my rig sounds, oh so good. So good, in fact that I can hear "noise" within my Marantz Reference Series SA-7S1 CDP.

Between what I have done within my streaming rig lately and this CDP? There is simply too much noise within the CDP to listen to music (unless it is a gem or something not offered on physical digital music)

I am getting off the point of this thread though. I recommend these, even though my BS flag was flying high at the beginning of the thread, months ago.

I tried 5 in my rig, with others on the same circuit. All told? I would do it again, knowing what I know now.

Tom

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
" More is not always better"
Probably true but why not try?
Two per dedicated line was better than just one. So lets hear what 3 does.
ozzy

Reactions: RikkiPoo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing