The Audiophile Society

zbub

Jun 27, 2013

This appears to be a brand new venture for David Chesky... Even though the current music offerings are limited, but one can get both hi-rez PCM and DSD at the same time. Should be worth exploring.

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
I did last night. Bought both albums.
I did a quick listen to Grafitti Jazz at normal volume (not insane volume). Details and sense of space were fantastic. Texture and speed were similar to other Chesky recordings. Bass notes were deep into the stage, and the whole soundstage was quite 3D.

When I went back to the website this morning, a free sampler was available. It's a no brainer to at least try the sampler.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I did last night. Bought both albums.
I did a quick listen to Grafitti Jazz at normal volume (not insane volume). Details and sense of space were fantastic. Texture and speed were similar to other Chesky recordings. Bass notes were deep into the stage, and the whole soundstage was quite 3D.

When I went back to the website this morning, a free sampler was available. It's a no brainer to at least try the sampler.
How did you listen to them? Headphones or speakers?

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
How did you listen to them? Headphones or speakers?
Speakers (Wilson Alexandria 2.2)
Since the purchased package also contained headphone mixes (but in 24/96 resolution instead of 24/192 or DSD for speakers), I will also try them with HiFiMan HE1000 one of these days... 99% of my listenings are with speakers...

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
Graffiti Jazz is available on Qobuz 24/48

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I thought the bass was BIG, perhaps too big and the HF severely rolled off. Confirmed with spectrograms. Of course, the headphone tracks had steeper roll-offs. Weird.

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Interesting... The short amout of time I listened to Graffiti Jazz I certainly didn't feel/hear HF roll-offs. FWIW the FAQ section on the website did say not to listen with graphs... but if that's how the music sounded I am assuming that's how the composer wanted it to sound.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
FWIW the FAQ section on the website did say not to listen with graphs...
I did not listen with graphs. I was impelled to see the graphs after I listened.
FWIW, David tells me that one must listen in the near field and seated at one apex of an equilateral triangle with the speakers. Since I do not normally listen that way, I will go back and try them again.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I ordered a download from them last week and never received it. I've emailed them several times but no response. Are they still in business?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing