The All Analog, All Lamm, PBN M2!5 System of JeffreyT

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Just picked up a vintage Luxman TVC to try along with the Lamm preamps and the Air Tight ATM-1s. This is the great thing about having a high efficiency system, so many cool things to try.

View attachment 87583

In the right context, a TVC can be spectacular. I look forward to hear how it works out.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
In the right context, a TVC can be spectacular. I look forward to hear how it works out.
Well the price was right so it will be a fun experiment at the least. Have you ever tried one Al?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Well the price was right so it will be a fun experiment at the least. Have you ever tried one Al?

No, but heard one in another system. Compared to some active preamps there, we heard a spectacular transparency of sound and purity of tone, but with a slight lack of body. But again, I am quite certain that system context matters. It could work really well in your system, or it could not. You'll find out.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
No, but heard one in another system. Compared to some active preamps there, we heard a spectacular transparency of sound and purity of tone, but with a slight lack of body. But again, I am quite certain that system context matters. It could work really well in your system, or it could not. You'll find out.
Yes it will be a relatively inexpensive experiment in my system. There are some really expensive TVC’s out there now with the $18,000 base model Bespoke as an example.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes it will be a relatively inexpensive experiment in my system. There are some really expensive TVC’s out there now with the $18,000 base model Bespoke as an example.

I heard a $ 3,000 Music First, ridiculously good for the price. KeithR once told me I should try a Music First; after that experience I understood what he meant. Regardless, I am super happy with the active Octave HP 700 preamp that I have.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just picked up a vintage Luxman TVC to try along with the Lamm preamps and the Air Tight ATM-1s. This is the great thing about having a high efficiency system, so many cool things to try.

View attachment 87583
Didn’t know they made one of those...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Aries Cerat uses TVC in all their preamps except the lowest model, which uses a resistor ladder. So, not passive but Stavros considers it the most transparent way to adjust the level of input signal to his active circuits.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I would definitely start with the Luxman. A tube buffer would be cool or a bypassed volume tube preamp, but for volume the Luxman may be even more honest than some like. The engineering for part of it is superior to others.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I would definitely start with the Luxman. A tube buffer would be cool or a bypassed volume tube preamp, but for volume the Luxman may be even more honest than some like. The engineering for part of it is superior to others.
I feel very lucky to get a unit like this in great original condition with manual and warrantee card.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The spartan design of Emia components is intentional. I'm not in to audio jewelry myself, so I appreciate the minimalist Emia approach. Though, I will say, Jeffrey Jackson (of Emia) has done amazing design work for his own brand - Experience Music. http://www.jeffreywjackson.com/ His horns and electronic components are stunning for those after good looks (and willing to pay for it).

In terms of marketing, not their strong suit and apparently also not a priority though I think they do show up at CAF most years. Small operation.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The spartan design of Emia components is intentional. I'm not in to audio jewelry myself, so I appreciate the minimalist Emia approach. Though, I will say, Jeffrey Jackson (of Emia) has done amazing design work for his own brand - Experience Music. http://www.jeffreywjackson.com/ His horns and electronic components are stunning for those after good looks (and willing to pay for it).

In terms of marketing, not their strong suit and apparently also not a priority though I think they do show up at CAF most years. Small operation.
As @KeithR says, horses for courses. Personally the industrial design or lack thereof is an issue for me.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
As @KeithR says, horses for courses. Personally the industrial design or lack thereof is an issue for me.
Dave now has an OEM for his autoformer. I can't remember the brand name, but the chassis looks like a normal audio component. And the price is quite good IIRC.

PS What's inside the Luxman?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing