The All Analog, All Lamm, PBN M2!5 System of JeffreyT

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Reactions: jeff1225

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Wow Jeff. Nice one - keep us posted on their sound.

Reactions: jeff1225

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
WHOA Jeff!! Those are awesome....are they originals or reproductions? One of my favorite vintage speakers....

If they are originals, you might want to consider getting a pair of 075 ring horn tweeters from JBL to extend the top end a bit (there is a crossover for this somewhere as the last of the Hartsfields used the 075 as well...same as the Paragon). If they are reproductions then probably the compression driver used extends a bit further up than the original 375.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
WHOA Jeff!! Those are awesome....are they originals or reproductions? One of my favorite vintage speakers....

If they are originals, you might want to consider getting a pair of 075 ring horn tweeters from JBL to extend the top end a bit (there is a crossover for this somewhere as the last of the Hartsfields used the 075 as well...same as the Paragon). If they are reproductions then probably the compression driver used extends a bit further up than the original 375.

Could also fit beryllium diaphragm if he wants it to extend more.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Could also fit beryllium diaphragm if he wants it to extend more.
True, but my experience so far with Be diaphragms is that they sound very different...might change the whole character of the sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One of the best speakers I heard was a FLH with JBL 375 Beryllium, it did have the tweeter above. It was a 4550 replica but he had combined the dual woofer cabinet to make one 18 inch woofer

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
One of the best speakers I heard was a FLH with JBL 375 Beryllium, it did have the tweeter above. It was a 4550 replica but he had combined the dual woofer cabinet to make one 18 inch woofer
Is this the Berlin one, Ked?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'm happy all of you loved my "teaser campaign" photo. Ever since I was introduced to the match up of Lamm and vintage electronics in Seattle (Tannoy Autograph Professionals and Edgar Horns) I realized that was my sound. It turns out these audiophiles were devotes of DDK who has pioneered this combination. The visit this year to @PeterA 's house was also quite informative, as I hadn't heard a pair of ML2's in quite some time. Peter's system flowed with such ease, I knew that vintage horns were in my immediate future. I was waiting for the completion of my long delayed dedicated room (my current system is in a converted garage) make a move, but a pair of JBL Hartsfields came up locally.

Of all of the Hartsfields that I've seen on eBay or USA Audiomart these seemed like the ones I had to have:

-These Hartsfields have never left Los Angeles
-They are matched pair. All of the drivers are in sequential order
-They are the three way model with 075 bullet tweeter
-I have all of the documents including manuals for the speakers and each of the drivers
-The cabinets are in excellent condition with just a small chip in the veneer on the front left corner. I'll have a professional repair these.
-The lense is in perfect condition, just a little dirty

I'll start posting impressions of their sound in the next few days. They have to be broken in again because they haven't been used in 20 years.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Excellent, Jeffrey. These have been high on my list for a while now. I hope to hear everything you want to say about how you came by them, installation and of course their sound. Impressions are welcome.
Thank you Tim. The prose will not be of your quality, but I'll be posting impression of the sound soon.

Reactions: tima

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Jeff, you should post a link to the ad that you sent me. The photos are very comprehensive and show the original manuals, driver details, etc. I think anyone contemplating such a speaker would find the information in that link quite impressive.

As you have mentioned to me by phone, the flow, ease, beauty, tone, and bass quality really stand out. I am not at all surprised. Ron will love them on girl with guitar, but I suspect that will do all music proudly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing