The All Analog, All Lamm, PBN M2!5 System of JeffreyT

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Nice, Jeff. Great photo of the vdH in action. Haven't heard that XWG Strad., but some say it is better than the MS, at least different in a good way. Lucky you. Strings are so nice on these vdHs. Now there is another guy out there buying up classical LPs. Damn!

BTW, how would you describe the sound of this vdH compared to your A95 SPU?

I have approximately 1000 classical records but I need to start going through the the records and grading them on sonics. I probably have too many late 80's digital records and need to do some damage with The General.

This weekend I'm going to put the SPU A95 this weekend and let you know!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I just encountered this thread for the first time and it's quite interesting, a good example of what WBF does well. The PBN 2!5s reads like a compelling speaker and I like what I read about its sonics from those who've visited your room. Jeffrey_t, you touched on classical music listening with Peter's visit and a few other mentions. Since that is my listen of choice, let me ask how well do the 2!5s' and your system handle large scale orchestral? Would you do anything differently if that was your main music? TIA

Reactions: jeff1225

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What is this statement based on? Is this where once Ron had mentioned he heard one in one system, the other in another system, and preferred one due to less sibilance?

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/the-colibri-“master-signature”.26233/page-31#post-623267

Or is it based on someone who had both in the same system

Yes it could be. I just reread those related posts. I think I also read something similar in the comparative review in TAS. But there are so many names I might be confused.

Edit: Just checked these were the Stradivarius and Stradivarius Signature in the TAS review. I must have confused the latter with the Master Signature. I've also seen Master Signature Stradivarius written in places. Anyway, these are all slightly different I guess and the one that Jeff has seems to have less sibilance.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes it could be. I just reread those related posts. I think I also read something similar in the comparative review in TAS. But there are so many names I might be confused.

Edit: Just checked these were the Stradivarius and Stradivarius Signature in the TAS review. I must have confused the latter with the Master Signature. I've also seen Master Signature Stradivarius written in places. Anyway, these are all slightly different I guess and the one that Jeff has seems to have less sibilance.

TAS review that I read had crimson and colibri signature Stradivarius, might be there is another one

The fact that Jeff's system has less sibilance leads us to conclude nothing, given the variability in his carts of the same model. Even if there was consistency it does not lead to any compare between the master signature and the colibri Stradivarius.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
TAS review that I read had crimson and colibri signature Stradivarius, might be there is another one

The fact that Jeff's system has less sibilance leads us to conclude nothing, given the variability in his carts of the same model. Even if there was consistency it does not lead to any compare between the master signature and the colibri Stradivarius.

Bonzo, Yes, that is the review by Andre Jennings. I was mistaken in the model names. I apologize for any confusion my post might have caused. Conclusions are rare in audio, except in Zero Distortion. :) Usually, they are just data points meant for consumption and opinion. There is no substitute for experiencing something in one's own system.

Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo, Yes, that is the review by Andre Jennings. I was mistaken in the model names. I apologize for any confusion my post might have caused. Conclusions are rare in audio, except in Zero Distortion. :) Usually, they are just data points meant for consumption and opinion. There is no substitute for experiencing something in one's own system.

Yes but here there were no data points, is my point

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . The fact that Jeff's system has less sibilance leads us to conclude nothing, given the variability in his carts of the same model. Even if there was consistency it does not lead to any compare between the master signature and the colibri Stradivarius.

I never suggested that one vdH cartridge was better than the other. I generally don't write or talk that way.

No, bonzo75, in this hobby we cannot prove assertions with scientific method rigor and accuracy.

But I think there are enough data points, including Tang's detailed reports and shakti's careful analysis and understanding of supposed sonic differences among the various vdH cartridge wood, laquer, magnet, winding and output options and combinations, that I would bet money that the perceived sonic average of a sample set if Colibri XGW AGW Stradivarius cartridges would be very slightly less "alive," energetic and sibilant than would be the perceived sonic average of a sample set of XGW Koa Master Signature cartridges.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I never suggested that one vdH cartridge was better than the other. I generally don't write or talk that way.

No, bonzo75, in this hobby we cannot prove assertions with scientific method rigor and accuracy.

But I think there are enough data points, including Tang's detailed reports and shakti's careful analysis and understanding of supposed sonic differences among the various vdH cartridge wood, laquer, magnet, winding and output options and combinations, that I would bet money that the perceived sonic average of a sample set if Colibri XGW AGW Stradivarius cartridges would be very slightly less "alive," energetic and sibilant than would be the perceived sonic average of a sample set of XGW Koa Master Signature cartridges.

Not better, you suggested one had lesser sibilance than the other.

There is no data point between these two carts in terms of sibilance, or any other note. Sorry. If we have missed any please put them on. Tang and Shakti are free to add

The only one was you listening to colibri strad in one system and master signature in another and drawing up a conclusion. You might as well compare digital from someone's note to Tang's cartridge notes and draw up conclusions

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I just encountered this thread for the first time and it's quite interesting, a good example of what WBF does well. The PBN 2!5s reads like a compelling speaker and I like what I read about its sonics from those who've visited your room. Jeffrey_t, you touched on classical music listening with Peter's visit and a few other mentions. Since that is my listen of choice, let me ask how well do the 2!5s' and your system handle large scale orchestral? Would you do anything differently if that was your main music? TIA

My opinion is that you need a large speaker to convincingly play a large scale orchestra. I've owned many speakers and my favorite speakers for large scale orchestra before owning the PBN's were Magnapan. I also believe that that MTM driver arrangement optimizes listening to large scale music.

My listening is approximately 60% jazz, 30% classical and 10% rock. The older I get the more I trade rock music listening for classical. I wouldn't make any changes to my current set up if I became a 100% classical music listener. I've never heard piano, cello or violin as realistic in any of my systems the way I hear it now with the Lamm and PBN combination.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Imo, the Master Signature has more degree of sibilance than other carts I own. But excessive or not, that depends on the system and your ears. Given your cart set up is prime, Cables, power cords, tubes could also influence the degree of sibilance. People with soft ears who like pretty vocal are better off with MSL Platinum, Zyx Optimum or Koetsu.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ron,
Thank you for the awesome visit and the great write up. These speakers did indeed take about 1 year to break in, but the wait has been worth it. I was very happy with the way the system performed on Peter A's Shefffield drum record, the dynamics produced by the JBL 15's was a lot of fun to listen to. Here's a pic of the system you listened to:

View attachment 50315
Hello Jeffrey,

Your system picture shows the ML2 not ML1.1 that Ron described. Maybe the picture is later from when Ron visited?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hello Jeffrey,

Your system picture shows the ML2 not ML1.1 that Ron described. Maybe the picture is later from when Ron visited?
Hi Tang,
I've owned two Lamm amps: the M2.2 and the ML1.1. I've never owned the ML2 and I'm not sure if they could drive the difficult load (4 ohms) of the PBN speakers. If anyone has ML2's they want to let me borrow...I'd love to try them.

Maybe one day after I've paid for my daughter's college I'll get a set of ML3's.

I hope you're doing well, I miss your videos.
Jeffrey

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
During a very quick visit back to Jeff's today, I feel like whatever bit of sibilance I heard previously from Jeff's vdH Colibri Koa Stradivarius cartridge has been ameliorated by natural break-in or VTA adjustment or both. Only the very hot vocal on Thelma Houston's "I've Got the Music in Me" (Sheffield Lab) revealed the slight sibilance "issue" I have had personally with vdH Colibri cartridges.

In fact, when Jeff played for me the Bill Henderson "Send in the Clowns" I actually asked Jeff if we were listening to the vdH, so absent was the tell-tale sibilance I still was expecting to hear generally.

I think I want Jeff's exact model of vdH cartridge, instead of the Opus 1, after all! Or the higher output vdH Grand Cru at .5mV model -- to take a little pressure off of the Aesthetix Io.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ron, mention this on the Grand Cru thread and people might choke on their breakfast cereal.

I think the whole sibilance thing is a bit overblown. Jeff’s system is awesome and I’m not surprised you enjoyed the vdH. You should directly compare it to the ZYX and tell us what you think.

I have both in my system

Reactions: PeterA

Steve Williams

How would you describe the differences Steve?

For starters, "Like night and day"

I listened twice yesterday to Bruckner's 7th that everyone ordered-twice with one cartridge and twice with the other.

The VDH MSS is a beast as it fleshes out everything in it's raw and visceral form with no sugar coating. It's about as engaging as it gets.

The ZYX is a diamond in the rough as you watch it glide over the vinyl as if it is sliding on butter. All of the information is there but with a slight degree of warmth.

Steve Williams

as David initially recommended the MSS has better bass on the SME3012R rather than the SME 3010R but to my ears the ZYX Premium has given up little or nothing being moved from the 3012 to the 3010

Reactions: ddk

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
as David initially recommended the MSS has better bass on the SME3012R rather than the SME 3010R but to my ears the ZYX Premium has given up little or nothing being moved from the 3012 to the 3010
That’s good to hear Steve.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing