The Alexia's are HERE!

If you really want to expedite the break-in process, play continuous loop of the Kangnam Style. You and the Alexia's will be dancing before you know it. ;)

If you really want to expedite the break-in process, play continuous loop of the Kangnam Style. You and the Alexia's will be dancing before you know it. ;)

LOL.... the wife already came down here to tell me to "turn it down".... Sorry honey... had the door open!

(Close the door) - next up is LZ - IV

I'm cranking AC/DC now pretty high spl's and the needles on the amps haven't budged. I was hoping they wouldn't, so they still pretty efficient.

Except my amps are 32 wpc.

I'm going to burn them in for a week or so... (listening to AC/DC - Back in Black) and will take some measurements before Peter gets here.

Bruce,

I was not completely joking when I referred to Bach - did you notice the part in the Wilson manual referring that chamber music has a very high average energy density and is highly recommended to speaker burn-in? At less during 24 hours you should follow Dave advice. ;) From the Alexia manual:

All audio equipment will sound best after its components have been broken in for some period of use. Wilson Audio breaks in all drivers for approximately 12 hours. All drivers are then tested, calibrated, and matched for their acoustical properties. In your listening room, expect 25 to 50 percent of break-in to be complete after two hours of playing music at normal listening levels. Ninety percent of break-in is complete after 24 hours of playing. Playing a CD on repeat overnight can accomplish this task quickly. Wilson Audio recommends chamber music for this task.

BTW, do you have a way to get the average (not peak) spectral density of a track using your mastering tools?

Last edited:
Except my amps are 32 wpc.

The biggest issue will be their impedance - it is very difficult to guess the result of connecting a SET without feedback having a large output impedance to a load having a minimum of less than 2 ohms.

(....) I can tell you it's the first time in a couple of years that I've actually been able to just listen for enjoyment. (...)

Bruce,

You are not alone about Alexia and initial immediate enjoyment. See Martin Colloms (HifiCritic) reaction:

"due to unavoidable delays only today were they properly aligned , the treble adjusted , and spiked. they were good before, but the change now is extraordinary, I cannot stop listening!"

Bruce,

I was not completely joking when I referred to Bach - did you notice the part in the Wilson manual referring that chamber music has a very high average energy density and is highly recommended to speaker burn-in? At less during 24 hours you should follow Dave advice. ;) From the Alexia manual:
BTW, do you have a way to get the average (not peak) spectral density of a track using your mastering tools?

Acutally I did read that in the manual last night, so before I went to bed, I put on Dave's master recordings on endless loop. Dave would be proud!

Yes, I have the tools for spectral density. Funny you should mention that. The past few speakers I've gotten, the manufacturers had their own content to burn in the speaker. The last one I had was an endless loop of ocean waves...

Bruce,

You are not alone about Alexia and initial immediate enjoyment. See Martin Colloms (HifiCritic) reaction:

"due to unavoidable delays only today were they properly aligned , the treble adjusted , and spiked. they were good before, but the change now is extraordinary, I cannot stop listening!"

For some reason I was never able to do it with my last speakers.... I know it wasn't due to the speakers because my friend had the same exact pair and I could listen to them all day. I've had a few sets in my own room where I could enjoy them so I know it's not the room...... my suspicion was placement and setup. No one had set them up and properly...... oh well......

Congrats, Bruce!

Real men don't read manuals.

Do the Doshi amps work well with the Sashas? I heard them at the show with the Maxx3's but that's at the show.

Yes they do. The 90's that I use were voiced with the Sashas.

I just auditioned Pass XA 160.5's for a week and while they drove the Sashas very well, I preferred the Doshis.

Do the Doshi amps work well with the Sashas? I heard them at the show with the Maxx3's but that's at the show.

In this vein, what made you decide on the Alexia's rather than MAXX 3's?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing