The Aeris have landed

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Yeah, got it mixed up with the photo in the online manual which is of the Wavelet 1. Wavelet 2 has 2 USB inputs which according to Legacy are interchangeable so yes, you are correct.

I believe that the wifi stick is not configured properly. That would explain the failure of upload. But the lack of response reliably on the right channel when performing a sweep has me baffled. I was able to get a sweep but it was coming from both speakers and maybe that how it's supposed to work. Also strange that when the right channel doesn't produce the sweep, I can hear it very faintly through both speakers.

Thanks for your concerns!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
On Wavelet2, there are 3, not 2 USB inputs.

The two Type-A connectors above the XLR5 power input are interchangeable and used for system config.

The third, a Type-B connector is in the middle with the "Digital Inputs" group and where you would come in for streaming in via USB.

Did you write to Legacy?

Is your dealer helping to diagnose?

What happens when you use the "Ping Channels" test in the setup menus? (Different from running room sweeps)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927_071323_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_071323_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 6

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Also, the sweeps for Left and Right channels each only play through the corresponding named channel, never both. Something is amiss with connections or elsewhere.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Back to it.

I've been trying to reach Legacy. No returned calls except once yesterday regarding, don't even remember anymore..

I had found one of thee problems or so I thought.
In the manual it states;
Turn Wavelet on and wait for 1 minute- confirm that the Blue LED on the WiPi WiFu Stick is lit or lit with occasional flashing.

OK, that makes sense, no network is being transmitted because there's no blue lights.

So I've a crazy amount of time with my config file, both DHCP and fixed IP. Experimenting with different address and even a different router. No blue lights. But interestingly the Wavelet always seems to recognize the network as it shows an IP.

While working in the yard it dawned of me, maybe there is no blue light on that adapter. So I came inside, put my glasses on and thought, this is not the adapter that is described in the manual. I see no led's on this adapter. I confirmed by going to the wireless adapters website. I further confirmed by downing the driver to my computer and making sure it is seen on the network and it was. So I've been chasing a non problem or so it seems.

All tests confirmed my cabling is properly setup. Music plays with the best possible image. Pinging channels works perfectly. Wavelet connections pass every test.

But as I said, could be user error when connecting cables. I've attached 2 pics showing connections on the back of the Wavelet. 20230927_114527.jpg 20230927_114514.jpg

Again, left channel sweep works and sweeps 3 sometimes 2 times. I don't know how many times it is supposed to sweep but that has been my experience. Right channel sweep produces no sound other than a very very faint sweep. I unplugged and replugged cables and even changed their location. Same result.
However, moving a set of input cables to plug 7&8 allowed a sweep of the right channel but the sweep seemed to contain both speakers working. To be honest, it felt that way but as it only happened once I could not tell if that was just my imagination. I wish Legacy would return my call. It would saved a great deal of time chasing blue lights.

Man am I getting old. I just noticed the picture of the package of the adapter on the manual shows it a different adapter. (or change the wording of the manual...)

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
If memory serves each test pass is 2 sweeps for each channel.

Input choice is ignored with both ping channels and room sweeps. Those functions are "Wavelet and onwards in the the total path" if you will.

Again....Please write to Legacy on EMAIL at the address I gave. It works much more reliably. When I have called and left voicemail, it can take much longer for that to be checked in my experience.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Is there some reason you are connecting your right channel outputs to outputs #7 and #8? Did they instruct you to do so?

The last dwnloadable manual at the link earlier in this thread, shows this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927_144227_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_144227_Firefox.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Audio Addict

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
Back to it.

I've been trying to reach Legacy. No returned calls except once yesterday regarding, don't even remember anymore..

I had found one of thee problems or so I thought.
In the manual it states;
Turn Wavelet on and wait for 1 minute- confirm that the Blue LED on the WiPi WiFu Stick is lit or lit with occasional flashing.

OK, that makes sense, no network is being transmitted because there's no blue lights.

So I've a crazy amount of time with my config file, both DHCP and fixed IP. Experimenting with different address and even a different router. No blue lights. But interestingly the Wavelet always seems to recognize the network as it shows an IP.

While working in the yard it dawned of me, maybe there is no blue light on that adapter. So I came inside, put my glasses on and thought, this is not the adapter that is described in the manual. I see no led's on this adapter. I confirmed by going to the wireless adapters website. I further confirmed by downing the driver to my computer and making sure it is seen on the network and it was. So I've been chasing a non problem or so it seems.

All tests confirmed my cabling is properly setup. Music plays with the best possible image. Pinging channels works perfectly. Wavelet connections pass every test.

But as I said, could be user error when connecting cables. I've attached 2 pics showing connections on the back of the Wavelet. View attachment 117290 View attachment 117291

Again, left channel sweep works and sweeps 3 sometimes 2 times. I don't know how many times it is supposed to sweep but that has been my experience. Right channel sweep produces no sound other than a very very faint sweep. I unplugged and replugged cables and even changed their location. Same result.
However, moving a set of input cables to plug 7&8 allowed a sweep of the right channel but the sweep seemed to contain both speakers working. To be honest, it felt that way but as it only happened once I could not tell if that was just my imagination. I wish Legacy would return my call. It would saved a great deal of time chasing blue lights.

Man am I getting old. I just noticed the picture of the package of the adapter on the manual shows it a different adapter. (or change the wording of the manual...)
You do not have the cables correct. XLR 1 and XLR 5 are the bass amps in the Aeris and XLR 2 and XLR 6 are the mid/treble amps. I only have the Legacy Aeris amps connected in my setup. PXL_20230927_184025448.jpg

Reactions: SCAudiophile

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Yes, even using external amps for the top end, I think the cables are wrong.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
It works! Just ran the setup/room correction and it flew through the process.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
If you are running your source in, the XLRs go left to right not top to bottom. I can't quite tell from the photo.
Yes they are left to right.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Yes they are left to right.
3 and 4 are XLR Input1 L and R respectively

7 and 8 are XLR input2 L and R respectively

I see a red and black on the top row (Input 3 and 4). Do you simply have the colors used backwards (but your channel wiring is correct) or do you have your channel inputs reversed?

Glad to hear you got the sweeps done and uploaded and room correction completed. How long did it take to come back from Bohmer? Did you set Wavelet volume to 85 for the sweeps per the manual?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
One other thought....when you write to Legacy, give them your Wavelet Serial Number (also used by the connection URL to the control webpage) and ask them to check your room correction result.

I am not sure what you mean by "flew through the process" however, each of the calculation regression passes in the console status window (1:4, 2:4, etc...usually 4 or more per channel) should take a few minutes or more in total per channel. If the messages just cascaded output a second or two apart, or less, that generally means they need to be checked.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
I started with this config using my outboard preamp.
I did move outputs around in an attempt to produce a RC sweep. It's all back to normal now and music after room correction sounds better especially in the bass region.

Even with outputs moving, music played well. And at the end of the day, this was not supposed to work with my Allnic Integrated.

I still haven't received a response from Legacy. I would like to know why I couldn't get a right channel sweep in a normal setup. I can now but it was still troubling.
20230927_131052.jpg

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
3 and 4 are XLR Input1 L and R respectively

7 and 8 are XLR input2 L and R respectively

I see a red and black on the top row (Input 3 and 4). Do you simply have the colors used backwards (but your channel wiring is correct) or do you have your channel inputs reversed?

Glad to hear you got the sweeps done and uploaded and room correction completed. How long did it take to come back from Bohmer? Did you set Wavelet volume to 85 for the sweeps per the manual?
Good catch Mark. During my last set of pings I noted that. The Allnic integrated does not have LR designations. One day are mark them with a sticker.

Yes 85 on the dial and it took short time to retrieve the data file from Bohmer.

Thanks for all your and others help!

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Just got a call from Ed @ Legacy Audio. I guess a high priority for them is to update their online manual. Blue lights...

Attachments

• 20230927_130657.jpg
    20230927_130657.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
How come in my Bohmeraudio app, contour, presets and DAC does not show?
The Bohmer room correction worked well but my wife felt like it lost it's dynamics and felt, well, flat. She's looking for that 3D holographic space she craves.

I manually adjusted for it's perceived shortfalls but thought 'contour' would be interesting to use.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Never heard of or saw this problem.

What are you using to view the console (device, operating system, browser)?

If the contours are not visible, how are you manually adjusting?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Separate topic: I would suggest you revisit speaker setup eventually.

Aeris performed extremely well (same with FocusXD, SE, HD and orher models except Valor) with toe-in such that a line imagined from the tweeter assembly points past the main listener position and converges 18"-24" behind the listener's head.

Try that with Room Correction turned off in the console (it's a button for On/Off) and once you get the passive speaker position perfected, then run the room sweeps and calibration again.

I was able to get incredible depth and breadth of soundstage.

FWIW,...worth a try at some point.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Not really knowing what the term 'contours' meant in an audio application or what it looked like other than of course, the online manual page 41 which I now know is the Wavelet 1 menu. I learned this from Ed at Legacy. So what was in a 'contours' menu is now simply in the dashboard.

I asked Ed if he could add links or create a different web page specific to Wavelet 1 and 2. Legacy will be making those changes soon especially after my frustration with "blue lights".

From the beginning, my wife and I played with speaker placement. We also moved the couch forward a bit. It's not so difficult moving these speakers around on my laminate flooring. We achieved a very solid central image while the 'sweet spot' was surprisingly generous. We will go through this exercise again on a tune night. (Yes, my wife and I have tune nights). Normal folks go to a restaurant, maybe a movie, we have tune nights. And with the factory setting, we were greeted with a generous soundstage width. It was after the room correction was applied, that my wife felt it lost some of its life. So I made some on the fly adjustments and at the end of the evening, my wife, my son and my cat were all seated on the couch, scrunched together enjoying a new copy of a fairly recent Robin Trower album (vinyl).

I have to tell you, with the lights off, while Robin's guitar oozed melody after melody, I wanted to grab a bottle of bourbon and a cigar and just drift off. Only problem was that the cat and my boy had me captured on the couch, and, I don't smoke cigars nor do I drink bourbon. But what flowed from those Aeris speakers took me to that place.

I swear there was smoke in the room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing