Tesla Model Y performance

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I live in the Philly area (NJ suburbs) as well and I don’t see the road filled with EVs. Yes, there are Teslas and other EVs but the majority of vehicles are gas or hybrid SUVs.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
It costs Ford $38K to sell a $35K EV
ford scheduled to loose billions as are others. BMW , Bentley, Porsche and others very unhappy and looking to change course if they havent already. Stellantis and GM also going to take huge write off loses. Its good for Tesla perhaps but not for many others

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Reactions: AudioLibertarian

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

just some useful info

Reactions: AudioLibertarian

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I live in the Philly area (NJ suburbs) as well and I don’t see the road filled with EVs. Yes, there are Teslas and other EVs but the majority of vehicles are gas or hybrid SUVs.
two of the dealers in my group are in the Greater Philadelphia area each with multiple brands including Luxury brands. both are struggling with EV's. they are cautiously optimistic about it, with fingers crossed that it might get better.

the rub will be how much 'juice' in R&D and Corporate energy have their manufacturers wasted on the Green EV mandated boondoggle that robbed their core products for the future.

lifelong businesses and jobs are at risk. 20% of the US economy is auto related.

legislating technology is mostly a bad idea. the nine most terrifying words might be: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". i'm a free market guy. i do see safety as a legit Federal issue, and in general emissions, consumer protection and related stuff. but this is going to end badly with lots of losers.

Reactions: Elliot G.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Mike L knows what he is talking about. People should trust what he says when it comes to sales of cars.

As a consumer myself, I see the Hybrid as the solid choice. 38 to 40 mpg average. Thats outstanding. I hear they are very low emissions. When you aggregate in the total life cycle emissions of a full EV to ICE your only saving 30% emissions. That is really not that much. I believe I have seen the numbers for a hybrid show a better overall life cycle reduction in pollution compared to any car. Anyone else read this.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Come to Wayne, PA. We can hardly count all the EVs.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Nothing useful comes from George Stossel.
maybe but he isnt George his name is John and facts are frightening but they are still facts.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Mike L knows what he is talking about. People should trust what he says when it comes to sales of cars.

As a consumer myself, I see the Hybrid as the solid choice. 38 to 40 mpg average. Thats outstanding. I hear they are very low emissions. When you aggregate in the total life cycle emissions of a full EV to ICE your only saving 30% emissions. That is really not that much. I believe I have seen the numbers for a hybrid show a better overall life cycle reduction in pollution compared to any car. Anyone else read this.
So, If I can charge a car with solar or wind, use no gas or fossil fuels of any type to operate the car, how is is that one only saves 30% over an ICE car? The costs to manufacture both types are a wash. Even without home solar, the energy grid is getting greener and greener. look at Texas, which now how more solar than Cali. No tailpipe emissions and even better, no engine noise.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I know it is hard to believe, but YouTubers can have agendas and push false narratives masquerading as facts. Just watch flat earth videos and others from “truth” seekers.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Come to Wayne, PA. We can hardly count all the EVs.
look at an income map by zip code in any county in the USA and you can predict where the top 5% of earners live, and where the Tesla's will sell. especially in the Northeast and West Coast that is more 'Green' oriented. but the 95% that don't live in those spots show a different reality with a very few exceptions nationally. my county is among the richest (Bill Gates/Jeff Bezos) and greenest (Seattle) in the USA and the EV's are sitting.

2 years from now we will see how the trends might change. the fundamentals will be inventories on the lots at dealers. if there is no bank flooring or willingness of the dealers to stock EV's, then the manufacturers will stop building and developing them. manufacturing jobs will be threatened, and the pressure on the Politicians will cause them to cave.

or the dream will somehow happen. and it's mostly a dream.

follow the money. and power.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I know it is hard to believe, but YouTubers can have agendas and push false narratives masquerading as facts. Just watch flat earth videos and others from “truth” seekers.
II agree you should never let the facts get in the way of your personal beliefs and a really good story. LOL
BTW Sometimes you actually need to watch the video before making judgements ,
FYI 4000 plus auto dealers nationwide have appealed to Mr/Biden to change the EV mandates. I'm sure they did that becasue they are selling so many LMAO

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Mike, Collier county is not green country, quite the opposite I have spoken to a few folks here who bought EVs And they all have different political opinions than me. They liked not having to buy gas, charge at home and loved the performance of the cars. Some are not the top 5 percenters. , quite frankly, the traditional OEMs should be more worried by the likes of BYD putting them out of business rather than selling EVs.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Elliot, I have fully investigated the facts around EVs and have nearly eight years experience driving them. I do not need to be “educated” by John Stossel.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot, I have fully investigated the facts around EVs and have nearly eight years experience driving them. I do not need to be “educated” by John Stossel.
Joe, your personal experience is not the truth for the entire country and the world.
We mine almost none of the materials used in making the batteries. The same people in California that want full EV and the same people lobbying against the mining of lithium and cobalt for environmental reasons. The US produces less than 10 percent of the worlds supply in these materials. We refine almost zero. I'm happy you like your car !

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, Collier county is not green country, quite the opposite I have spoken to a few folks here who bought EVs And they all have different political opinions than me. They liked not having to buy gas, charge at home and loved the performance of the cars. Some are not the top 5 percenters. , quite frankly, the traditional OEMs should be more worried by the likes of BYD putting them out of business rather than selling EVs.
just speaking market stats, not anecdotal.

my last couple of years in my position, i was involved in which Honda Dealers would get the new EV first. so micro-inspecting national market trends was something i got deep into the weeds about. imagine the manufacturer having to legally defend a process of gradual national distribution. there were 5 layers, and sub layers within those layers, of which dealers would be able to receive EV's in which wave. based on many different market statistics and predictions.

so as best could be done, scientifically predicting EV demand....based on data.

so i lived with all this data. including lots of Tesla data. having to defend and promote my own market and dealership. some dealers and markets wanted more EV's and quicker, some were at the other end of the spectrum. and all points in between. and it was all a guess, as no one knew what would happen. and we had no details on the actual product, or even the price.....then.

huge investments involved relatively for everyone....all on the come. just the dirty laundry of product distribution.

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Joe, your personal experience is not the truth for the entire country and the world.
We mine almost none of the materials used in making the batteries. The same people in California that want full EV and the same people lobbying against the mining of lithium and cobalt for environmental reasons. The US produces less than 10 percent of the worlds supply in these materials. We refine almost zero. I'm happy you like your car !
That rationale applies to just about all miming and refining, anywhere, but somehow lithium is different? Just look at the large proposed copper mine on native lands That will likely make it to the Supreme Court. They want to strip mine on sacred lands and leave a gaping hole afterwards. I am all for mining ,responsibly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing