Telefunken NOS 6922 tubes are they worth the Money?

The older Nuvista stuff uses nuvistors, as well as the Allnic head amp, which I have in my system.

I gather Abbey Road was mastered with a nuvistor tape deck from Ampex, one of only a few ever made. I think nuvistors sound pretty good, on the 'clean and clear' side of the spectrum, but still tubes in spaciousness and depth.

They are (were?) used in studio microphones. They didn't have a long production life because they were displaced rather quickly by solid state. They were kind of a 'last gasp' to produce a tube tech that could compete with the compact solid state devices.

The studio guys would comment quite a bit about how they had to go through several pairs to find quiet ones, and I had to go through several pairs to find quiet ones for the Allnic. They can sometimes start quiet, then go noisy, too, so thus the remark about their staying quiet for a year to make sure they are OK for the long run. My current set have remained quiet for several years now (relatively for a head amp, which is never perfectly quiet).

I did not know that the Allnic is using Nuvistors, all other equipment is well known to me. I found that some russion tubes can be a better choice when noise is an issue but only when building something from scratch as these cannot easily replace tubes in existing gear.

My guess is that many folks have found Upscale to be a good company. They have been around a long time and are obviously successful. My sense is that I prefer to deal with folks like Brent Jesse, who deals mostly with studios and professionals, rather than Kevin, who deals with many pain in the ass audiophiles like us!
I have been an Upscale customer for over 20 years. Have purchased a lot of great tubes from Kevin. Always get great treatment and fair pricing. Sorry to hear that others did not feel they were treated well.

Reactions: knghifi
Sorry to hear that others did not feel they were treated well.
Glad Kevin has some fans but it's not a question of feel. Rudeness and unprofessional conduct /abhorrent customer service after the sale. Just read the internet reviews.

Last edited:
Tubes quite generally used to get rebranded so the print on the tube/box doesn't necessarily tell by who or where it was manufactured.
Telefunken of all manufacturers had the highest quality requirements and tightest tolerances, so you can expect such tubes to last for long time and have less variation from tube to tube.
I quite like the Telefunken but only have experience with PCC88 which is equal to ECC88 except for the heater filament. However, sound wise so far I prefer Mullard 6DJ8/ECC88 British made in 1960's. Their fullness suits the sound of my system better than neutrality/slight leanness of Telefunkens.

Reactions: christoph
+1 on those 60s Mullard 6DJ8s.
Brent Jessee chose a combination of 60s Mullards and 70s Mazdas for me.
He claimed the warmth/fatness of the Mullards would be tempered nicely by the speed and incision of the Mazdas.
He claimed right Lol.
I had 70s Siemens 6DJ8s from Upscale, and in the short time they lasted, they were just a tad too tipped up and lacking in mids warmth for my tastes.
I'll pass on those in future, and the 80s Voskod Rockets and Reflektor Silver Shields I had over relied on prior to finding Brent's stash.

Reactions: MPS
Usually i only replace tubes when they get noisy, so until the next 15 years i do not need to worry...
My 10 channel (2x5 actually) mixing console was in use for 35 years 24/7 and most of the original tubes are still in perfect condition (i replaced a few as they became noisy in 2012).
All tubes are Siemens and Telefunken EF804S and E88CC/CCa. No need for tube rolling....

Attachments

• L1060604.JPG
    L1060604.JPG
    605.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: christoph and MPS
Burglars visiting Lampie in the middle of the night, and checking their "to do" list
Cash...check
Jewellery...check
Tubes...check

Guy's The " Fisher" marked tubes are Made by Telefunken . They are smooth plates, with the " Diamond " mark on the bottom of the tube.

Burglars visiting Lampie in the middle of the night, and checking their "to do" list
Cash...check
Jewellery...check
Tubes...check
No cash, no juwellery , tubes yes, beware that the dutch mountains are hazardeous...

Last edited:
It's the dykes that keep me up all night, sweating Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Lampie519
No, I mean I'm worried about flood control in The Netherlands. Really!

No, I mean I'm worried about flood control in The Netherlands. Really!
Sure you do ... LOL
Actually my place is 4m below sea level... do i worry ? No, i don't.
The airport is my protection.... as long as this cuntry is depending on it financially i can sleep at night...

Well, we live literally less than 5m from a creek. Luckily Norfolk, and The Fens generally, has the best flood defences nationally. Tech borrowed from the Dutch!
If we flood at the chapel...so does every other citizen in the UK.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing