TechDAS Air Force Zero (real final photo)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sure Bill. I did pass Chemistry, Biology and Physics A-Levels in 1982 LOL.

I hear what you are saying and wish that one could do that and maybe folks sometimes do that at home or alone but to do it in a big publication like that is bad practice in my opinion.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
We will need to observe if an AF0 ends up in Jacob’s system.

I am speaking to Jacob’s ability to acquire what he wants, is all. If it’s moved him to act then that speaks volumes.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
We will need to observe if an AF0 ends up in Jacob’s system.

I am speaking to Jacob’s ability to acquire what he wants, is all. If it’s moved him to act then that speaks volumes.

Mike, I could personally care less. This TT doesn't move the rest of the hifi universe in any meaningful direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halcro and bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I know compares are very useful, but is it not possible for a reviewer who knows his own piece of gear inside out (in this case, Continuum tt) to realise it's been comprehensively outclassed by a new one, even in an unfamiliar system?
Surely there are traits one can identify in another system as better or worse from deep awareness of one's own component in one's home system?

Marc, do you really think that one can identify accurately the contribution of an unfamiliar component, in this case a turntable, in an unfamiliar system, in an unfamiliar room, and make a claim about how that turntable contributes to the sound and then make a claim about a sonic attribute relative and in comparison to his own turntable in his own system, all during a brief listening session with someone else's music in a crowded room? It seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

I suppose he could comment on the overall resolution if the recording is familiar to him, and perhaps also the noise floor and pitch accuracy of the recording as played on what I assume is a very transparent and revealing system.

I appreciate comments about the whole system in that room particular room context and descriptions about specific sonic attributes. That is fine, but how does one isolate the sound of one component relative to the rest of the system?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You guys are tough; Jacob only mentioned very briefly in a short paragraph of his "preview".

"I’ll be the first to admit that I approached the ’table with some skepticism. I expected excellent performance but nothing revolutionary. For one thing, I have not heard a turntable that was substantially superior to the Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn I’ve used for about a decade. Oops—the Zero creamed it. I also was underwhelmed by the photos that I had seen of the turntable. In “person,” however, it looked both impressive and attractive."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Noise Floor, particularly groove echo and the silence thereof. That is what makes TDs differ from anything else I've heard. It's a singular trait as far as I know.

That many associate this with warmth because it is a type of noise that isn't inherently objectionable is another story.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You guys are tough; Jacob only mentioned very briefly in a short paragraph of his "preview".

"I’ll be the first to admit that I approached the ’table with some skepticism. I expected excellent performance but nothing revolutionary. For one thing, I have not heard a turntable that was substantially superior to the Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn I’ve used for about a decade. Oops—the Zero creamed it. I also was underwhelmed by the photos that I had seen of the turntable. In “person,” however, it looked both impressive and attractive."

Yes, Bob. This is a brief mention, but a fairly significant one, IMO. He is saying that he was able to clearly hear that this AF0 "creamed" his ten year reference turntable, the Caliburn, and in so doing inferring that he could hear the specific contribution of this turntable over the other components in that system. I wish he would have been a bit more specific. I'm surprised, that's all.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc, do you really think that one can identify accurately the contribution of an unfamiliar component, in this case a turntable, in an unfamiliar system, in an unfamiliar room, and make a claim about how that turntable contributes to the sound and then make a claim about a sonic attribute relative and in comparison to his own turntable in his own system, all during a brief listening session with someone else's music in a crowded room? It seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

I suppose he could comment on the overall resolution if the recording is familiar to him, and perhaps also the noise floor and pitch accuracy of the recording as played on what I assume is a very transparent and revealing system.

I appreciate comments about the whole system in that room particular room context and descriptions about specific sonic attributes. That is fine, but how does one isolate the sound of one component relative to the rest of the system?
Peter, I thought it might be possible. Otherwise the instances where one might make semi definitive statements will be zero, or close to zero. Bill's skepticism is pretty well founded when I think about it, maybe the sense of occasion and grandeur of the whole system overwhelmed him.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
"But for me perhaps the highlight was a Deutsche Grammophon recording of Gidon Kremer and Martha Argerich playing Beethoven’s Sonata No. 1 for piano and violin. The silky smoothness of the TechDAS playback allied to a seemingly limitless palette of dynamic gradations…it sounded simply gobsmacking." (from TAS )

I have these recordings and really appreciate them. It looks there is there is a big conspiracy to pervert the audiophile dogmas flying around ... :)

Reactions: NorthStar

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, Bob. This is a brief mention, but a fairly significant one, IMO. He is saying that he was able to clearly hear that this AF0 "creamed" his ten year reference turntable, the Caliburn, and in so doing inferring that he could hear the specific contribution of this turntable over the other components in that system. I wish he would have been a bit more specific. I'm surprised, that's all.

The system is very comparable to Jacob's system - the main difference was just the analog source. He even recently reviewed the latest D'Agostino Momentum's.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Like I said; it's only a preview Peter, and he was obviously impressed.
I would be too...I can tell by the photos and videos so far, and the presentation and the comments from high caliber "insiders".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
"But for me perhaps the highlight was a Deutsche Grammophon recording of Gidon Kremer and Martha Argerich playing Beethoven’s Sonata No. 1 for piano and violin. The silky smoothness of the TechDAS playback allied to a seemingly limitless palette of dynamic gradations…it sounded simply gobsmacking." (from TAS )

I have these recordings and really appreciate them. It looks there is there is a big conspiracy to pervert the audiophile dogmas flying around ... :)

I have this one too

F8DC66ED-ED17-481C-BA9D-4A1D8BF219B6.png

Reactions: gian60

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
To me it seems any and all reviewers are wanting to get their names on some quick review to link their name and publication with the AF Zero
Techdas needs a lot coverage from big US reviewers Steve. They could have gone to the Shanghai Int'l AV Show happening right now but they need good impressions from big name reviewers in US first. A lot more can be sold over there but not without US reviewers' acclaim. I expect audio companies to move their promotional budget to China shows. A lot more payback. Genesis of Gary Goh is doing very well there right now.

Kind regards,
Tang

TLi

May 27, 2016
Looking forwards to reading Ron report on AF0 with WAMM.

There were two audiophiles from Hong Kong in the launch event on 16 March in Tokyo, me and one of my friends. Both of us are AF1p users with SAT arm. We were arranged to have the best seats in the room, right in the sweet spot. The demonstration was two hours and most of the time were spent in explaining the design of AF0. The actual music playing time was around 45 minutes.

I don't have the verbal ability of Jacob Heilbrunn in describing the sound, but both of us from Hong Kong found the sound to be extremely good. The first track played was a vocal from Harry Belafonte, it is a piece that we heard many times. Harry's voice was very natural and accurate. At the end of the demo, they played a track of drum rolls and it was played in fairly loud volume. The speakers were Wilson Audio Alexx driven by Constellation amps. The drums were so real and controlled. We were very impressed.

In the end, we told Nishikawa san that each of us wants to order one AF0. That says a lot.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Looking forwards to reading Ron report on AF0 with WAMM.

There were two audiophiles from Hong Kong in the launch event on 16 March in Tokyo, me and one of my friends. Both of us are AF1p users with SAT arm. We were arranged to have the best seats in the room, right in the sweet spot. The demonstration was two hours and most of the time were spent in explaining the design of AF0. The actual music playing time was around 45 minutes.

I don't have the verbal ability of Jacob Heilbrunn in describing the sound, but both of us from Hong Kong found the sound to be extremely good. The first track played was a vocal from Harry Belafonte, it is a piece that we heard many times. Harry's voice was very natural and accurate. At the end of the demo, they played a track of drum rolls and it was played in fairly loud volume. The speakers were Wilson Audio Alexx driven by Constellation amps. The drums were so real and controlled. We were very impressed.

In the end, we told Nishikawa san that each of us wants to order one AF0. That says a lot.
Hello Thomas,
You must write a theead on WBF when you receive your AF Zero.
It should include box-opening, setting it up, finetuning, sonic performance ... etc
Many thanks in advance!
;)

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
In the end, we told Nishikawa san that each of us wants to order one AF0.
Congratulations on the decision.
Then this fully automatic linear tracking tonearm should also be part of the perfect happy ending.:)

By the way, this one is unique because of excess length. The proportions should fit.
P1140993-zu-II.JPG

best regards Rainer

Attachments

• P1140993-zu-II.JPG
    P1140993-zu-II.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 5

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Both of us are AF1p users with SAT arm. We were arranged to have the best seats in the room, right in the sweet spot.
[...]
I would say: Mission accomplished :D
Congrats to the two happy soon to be new AF0 owners :cool:

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing