TechDas Air Force One

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
jcarr you are a lucky man it is hard enough to find information on the SZ-1 let alone find one for sale, do these come up for sale fairly often on japanese markets or did you purchase yours new before the demise of Micro Seiki?
I assume you have heard and compared it to a SX 8000II and the Techdas AF1, what is your opinion on all 3 decks?

From what I understood from my Malaysian audiophile friends, the used price of Micro Seiki decks have doubled in Singapore/Malaysia since the beginning of the year....

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
>do these come up for sale fairly often on japanese markets

No, my impression is that it is very, very rare for a SZ-1 to appear for sale. I don't think that many of these were made to begin with. My guess would be 50 units, max.

>did you purchase yours new before the demise of Micro Seiki?

Yes, I bought mine in the 1980s. When I had an issue with it, Nishikawa-san was the person who took care of it (grin).

I've compared it to an 8000-II, which I am confident that the SZ-1 betters, but not to a TechDas AF1. I've only heard and played with the AF1 at various audio shows (the AF1 was first unveiled at the Tokyo International Audio Show a few years back, and Nishikawa-san enthusiastically walked me through what he had accomplished. This was before final production, but I still remember what a huge grin he had (smile). Most likely the AF1 is Nishikawa-san's chance to successfully conclude all of the uncompleted design work that he accumulated while at Micro (I know that feeling well).

At any rate, I took quite a few pictures of the AF1, and posted them on Audiogon AFAIR.

Today, I'd imagine that Nishikawa-san is back-ordered and ships every completed AF1 out the door as fast as possible.

I doubt that there is any demonstrator unit that I could borrow for in-home testing. Maybe in some months (not that I could afford one in any case - grin).

kind regards, jonathan

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
>do these come up for sale fairly often on japanese markets

No, my impression is that it is very, very rare for a SZ-1 to appear for sale. I don't think that many of these were made to begin with. My guess would be 50 units, max.

>did you purchase yours new before the demise of Micro Seiki?

Yes, I bought mine in the 1980s. When I had an issue with it, Nishikawa-san was the person who took care of it (grin).

I've compared it to an 8000-II, which I am confident that the SZ-1 betters, but not to a TechDas AF1. I've only heard and played with the AF1 at various audio shows (the AF1 was first unveiled at the Tokyo International Audio Show a few years back, and Nishikawa-san enthusiastically walked me through what he had accomplished. This was before final production, but I still remember what a huge grin he had (smile). Most likely the AF1 is Nishikawa-san's chance to successfully conclude all of the uncompleted design work that he accumulated while at Micro (I know that feeling well).

At any rate, I took quite a few pictures of the AF1, and posted them on Audiogon AFAIR.

Today, I'd imagine that Nishikawa-san is back-ordered and ships every completed AF1 out the door as fast as possible.

I doubt that there is any demonstrator unit that I could borrow for in-home testing. Maybe in some months (not that I could afford one in any case - grin).

kind regards, jonathan

Thanks for your response jonathan, it's probably a good thing I haven't seen a SZ-1 for sale I dare say the price would be quite intimidating.
Looks like i'll have to start saving my pennies for an AF1 or hope nishikawa-san delivers 90% of it with the debut of the AF2 in November.
Any chance of posting some high resolution photos of your SZ-1?
Cheers Jason

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
The SZ1 is in storage. My present quarters don't have the space for accommodate such a beastie (grin).

The turntable that I use most these days is the Marantz TT-1000, a comely DD which just so happened to be OEMed by Micro.

kind regards, jonathan

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Okay, so I am officially in the TechDAS manufacturing cue. Looks like it will be towards the end of August for delivery. Yee Haw !!!! I will be running the Elite 10" in the primary slot and a 12" Supreme for the rear slot, most likely for a mono cart. I am still keeping my CA Master Innovation on the Table Stable.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Okay, so I am officially in the TechDAS manufacturing cue. Looks like it will be towards the end of August for delivery. Yee Haw !!!! I will be running the Elite 10" in the primary slot and a 12" Supreme for the rear slot, most likely for a mono cart. I am still keeping my CA Master Innovation on the Table Stable.
Here's a crazy idea, but it is done with high end cars sometimes- a photo record of the build, that they could put together in a book. I assume the tables are numbered. Nice keepsake for an investment of this scale.
Looking forward to your having this!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Congratulations, Christian! I envy you.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com

Congrats! You're a very fortunate man!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'll be glad to break it in for you :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Congratulations Christian - by chance do you have a DSD recorder? I would love to compare a good LP played directly using the Forsell with a DSD recording of the same LP played using the TechDAS. Just for scientific purposes, surely ...

b3344

Jan 16, 2013
Khonkaen Thailand
hey guy after many ready me and my friend think we should let some of our secret weapons in this place . I'm sure this may be the one in life time to see this for some one !!!

let make fun

the all picture after this will be the evident of something many guy talking here with 30 year old technology and secret that only a few people see

for the less than 50 unit in the world as Jcarr said.

The never show in any web site and i ask my friend to allow to show ( he is secret guy)

it the legend turntable top model of micro seiki alive !!! THE SZ1

Attachments

• fr_4924_size880.jpg
    fr_4924_size880.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,908

b3344

Jan 16, 2013
Khonkaen Thailand
me and my friend has been collect full range of micro seiki air system turntable . and this is micro seiki SZ1 that know as the holy grail of micro seiki

yes they have two version of platter because the platter can be use with Sx5000 II and SX 8000 II . I think gold look better for this turntable.

actually SZ1 have a base call BA 100 with air suspension system ( not show in the picture ) all system weight almost 200 Kg . this SZ1 has bigger base than sx 8000II and more heavy so this will make it more stable than sx 8000II and both them use same air bearing system . but the motor total difference

the motor of SZ1 using air bearing too!!! while SX8000II has no air bearing for motor.

so come and see , this may the first time for reveal on web . Be attention you may not see anywhere in the world hahaha

Attachments

• fr_4834_size880.jpg
    fr_4834_size880.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 8,313
  • fr_4816_size880.jpg
    fr_4816_size880.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 8,636
  • fr_4828_size880.jpg
    fr_4828_size880.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 8,930
Last edited:

b3344

Jan 16, 2013
Khonkaen Thailand
as you see in the picture the motor unit of SZ1 it name SZ1 M . it very difference from any micro seiki motor because the case of unit has use for motor body this mean this motor case unit is a motor !!! this make motor so stable by weight .
next you will see glass on the top and the fly wheel . how it work ?
the motor shaft will connect to fly wheel and fly wheel will fly on glass by air ( this call air bearing same as patter theory)
so this mean motor shaft will fly by air bearing too . result is no vertical pressure force for motor shaft and make motor more quiet and smooth rotation
while fly wheel weight will increase moment of inertia for motor result of stable rotation and rpm .

so i can say this motor rotate like a fly !!!!

ps fly wheel made form standless steel

b3344

Jan 16, 2013
Khonkaen Thailand
next is air pump the SZ1 use massive air pump box name RP 999 ( if you know asia traditional they always use number 9 for most top thing)

it very big when compare to 2x RP 1110 on the side

and in side they have 3 air pump and cover by big special metal case ( this i can't imagine how expensive while they make form for the metal case for only 50 unit ) and it almost 30 year old . this mean this thing must be very very special product and reasonable to make it !!!

Attachments

• fr_4855_size880.jpg
    fr_4855_size880.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 8,383
  • fr_4839_size880.jpg
    fr_4839_size880.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8,204

b3344

Jan 16, 2013
Khonkaen Thailand
and here me and my friend have all whole rang of micro seiki air bearing system so we can compare AB test .
like if my friend buy i buy , If i buy my friend will buy too so we almost have everything double in house except wife haha.

by the way to Mr. Jcarr I'm appreciate for your best cartridge atlas and many model we bought , but don't let SZ1 in your storage just bring them back to life !!!! or sell to me please !!! haha

i'm sure that it better than DD IT 8000 you use now ....

ps we are collector not seller we will not sell our item but if you want to sell we will buy !!!

Attachments

• fr_4925_size1024.jpg
    fr_4925_size1024.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 984
Last edited:

b3344

Jan 16, 2013
Khonkaen Thailand
and good news for any body who have problem with this donut , we did the new one here with very terrible price .( just warning ) only for micro fellow , need help just PM me .

Attachments

• fr_4727_size880.jpg
    fr_4727_size880.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 919

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing