Tannoy Arden vs. Westminster? Centre Channel?

Vinyl Rules!

Oct 14, 2018
Greetings all. I’m new here, so a bit of an introduction:

I’m retired and I’m extremely interested in purchasing new Tannoy’s that have Tannoy’s 15” coaxial driver. I’m considering either the Ardens or either the TOTL Westminsters, but not the Canterburys as both my beloved wife and I don’t care for its styling. Whilst unrelated, amplifier guru Nelson Pass uses 15” Tannoy HPD speakers as his reference (
).

I recognize there’s a huge price difference between the Westminsters and the Ardens, but the 15” driver in the Arden makes me wonder if it is all close to the Westminster in sound quality?

I became aware of Tannoy whilst at university when I was working part-time in a good hi fi shop. We were actually storing a pair of Tannoys that were about the same size as the current Westminsters (this was in the late 1970’s) for a very good customer who was building a new home. I don’t remember the model name, and they had either a 12” or 15” coaxial driver.

Our customer was gracious enough to allow us to listen to them and I have to say, IMO, they were significantly better sounding (to me) than any of the better speakers we sold. And this included the Infinity Servostatic electrostatic speakers, large Bozak floor standing speakers, Magnaplanar 1-D speakers, large JBL speakers, and the venerable Klipschorns, among others. These Tannoys just loaded and pressurized our demo room like no other speaker I’ve ever heard, and nothing I’ve listened to since has ever recreated the magic of the live sound that these large Tannoy’s produced in our demo room. Our shop didn’t sell Tannoys, so these were the only ones I’ve ever been able to hear.

Now, I’m going to have to make a purchase decision without being able to actually listen to new Tannoys. I live in “BugFuck” rural Appalachia with no good audio dealers near me.

I have PTSD from time spent in Southeast Asia, and listening to good music is therapy for me - I haven’t found any meds that work as well as a skillfully-recorded classical symphony, or classic rock from the 60’s and 70’s, or good jazz, or good bluegrass.

My current system is B&W DM3000 speakers with a B&W HTM centre channel for the 20% of the time I view and listen to a movie. The DM3000’s were B&W’s TOTL domestic speakers in the early 80’s and they preceded B&W’s introduction of their 800 series of speakers. In my room, the B&W’s are flat down to 30Hz, and I have a couple of Bob Carver’s Sunfire subs for the infrasonics. So the system is currently now configured as a 5.2 system.

I intend to simplify my system and ditch the centre channel when I purchase new speakers. I don’t hear much of a difference now when I disable my center channel (and enable the phantom centre channel setting) for movies, and I’ve read Tannoy’s 15” coaxial drivers have excellent dispersion, likely better than my current B&W’s. Although I did speak with a dealer in Scotland who told me that to-date, he’s actually sold three Tannoy Westminster L-C-R systems! Personally, I think using a Westminster as a centre channel is a bit of overkill!

Now, I wish to solicit opinions here from those of you with 15” Tannoy coaxial speakers: If you view and listen to movies through your Tannoy’s, do you think a centre channel is necessary? Please share your experience

Next, has anyone here had an opportunity to compare Ardens with Westminsters? I’m of the opinion nothing can surpass a Westminster in pressurizing a room whilst playing music (I attribute this to the complex bass reflex cabinetry design of the Westminster). But I’m curious if the Ardens can come somewhat close to the Westminsters in terms of pressurizing a room, or is the cabinetry of the Westminster really needed to accomplish this?

Please share your thoughts and opinions on these last two points. There are no Tannoy dealers within 2,000 miles of my home, and I’m anxious to hear your thoughts.

Kind regards, Vinyl Rules!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Vinyl Rules!

I don't own Westminster RGs, but I have two close friends who owned them for a long time. I have extensive visitor experience with them.

I think that in the Tannoy line there is the Westminster, and then there is everything else. I think the backloaded horn of the Westminster is a unique design in the Tannoy line that affords a powerful and organic low frequency range that is unmatched by anything else in the Tannoy line, and is unmatched by most speakers generally.

rob

Jul 11, 2012
Hi V.R.,
I have owned Tannoy Westminsters for about 20 years and listened to many of the other models featuring various versions of the dual concentric driver.
Most of the the Prestige line have a similar sound (clean, dynamic, great imaging low fatigue for long listening sessions) all are emotionally involving.
The newer Arden, Cheviot and Eden while still sound great are voiced a little different IMO, They have a less clear sound, and offer a slighter meatier full sound with slightly beefed up bass response.
The Westminster is somewhat unique in that is fully horn loaded, it offers a very dynamic sound top to bottom, similar to many other horn systems but with lower horn coloration and less disjointed compared with many multiple driver horn systems, IMO. It will play effortlessly loud and pressurize the room much better than the other Tannoy models, particularly in the lower frequency.

You can also add Tannoy super tweeter if you would like a more modern sparkly airey sound.

Hope this is of some help.
PS. i could also easily live the Arden and would choose it over many other speakers. :)
PSS. I'm a Tannoy fan!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
You should follow Nelson Pass and buy some Tannoy HPD 385 based speakers,
like the old Amesbury.

much better, than newer generation Tannoy.

get a Tannoy supertweeter on top, and the sound will be great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing