Taiko Audio XDMS - Extreme Direct Music Server Software

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Has everyone who updated to NSM switched their sound profile from default to "alternative"

The uptick in SQ in my system was greater going to "alternative" than was the Jan 10 back end update for Qobuz. Has anyone else found the same?

Using alternative in my system was quite a revelation
Steve, I agree. I followed your lead and am very impressed with "alternative" setting in XDMS-NSM. The standard setting was significantly less compelling in my system.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am reading that many members are raving about the recent backend update for Qobuz SQ. I did get an uptick but not to the same degree as others. I felt there was more clarity and better defined deep bass but I am in "alternative". I was just curious if those finding a bigger improvement inSQ are in "default"or in "alternative"

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Has everyone who updated to NSM switched their sound profile from default to "alternative"

The uptick in SQ in my system was greater going to "alternative" than was the Jan 10 back end update for Qobuz. Has anyone else found the same?

Using alternative in my system was quite a revelation
I tried the “alternative” briefly — for me it seemed a little bit like too much photoshop “unsharp mask” and I returned to the standard setting. I’ll give it another chance to see if I feel the same way. Rooms / rigs / personal preferences will surely have some loving one setting, others choosing the “alternative!”

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I am reading that many members are raving about the recent backend update for Qobuz SQ. I did get an uptick but not to the same degree as others. I felt there was more clarity and better defined deep bass but I am in "alternative". I was just curious if those finding a bigger improvement inSQ are in "default"or in "alternative"
The Jan 10 Qobuz update was a revelation in my system as well as a few others that I know that had the update.

Reactions: oldmustang

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Bob

is your sound profile default or alternative
I am wondering if those experiencing the big uptick are in default and not alternative but I may be wrong

Reactions: Famester

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
There goes my theory :rolleyes:
Like BobVin noted, different systems will act differently. The sound that I got after the Qobuz updated was like SUPERCHARGED. Another friend said the same thing. It made Qobuz albums sound as good if not better than files, which is the first time that I felt this way. I need to ask Ed what the heck they did with this update that made such a difference.

Reactions: Christiaan Punter

MOTU

Oct 17, 2019
I have tried alternative and I clearly prefer default. More 3d and layered.

Steve Williams

And we have four options, 0, 1, 2, or 3 in Adaptive Format…
where are you seeing that Michael.....Im talking Alternative sound profile not "adaptive"

I do remember Ed recently did an update which switched my adaptive from a 3 to a 1. To which the you referring

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
where are you seeing that Michael.....Im talking Alternative sound profile not "adaptive"

I do remember Ed recently did an update which switched my adaptive from a 3 to a 1. To which the you referring
Hi Steve = I’m not referring to the XDMS choice of Alternative or Default but in Local Disk C you can change the Adaptive Format from 0-3. Given my extremely limited experience with techie stuff I got sweaty palms the first time I changed the code :) It’s another useful tool to tailor the sound…

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi Steve = I’m not referring to the XDMS choice of Alternative or Default but in Local Disk C you can change the Adaptive Format from 0-3. Given my extremely limited experience with techie stuff I got sweaty palms the first time I changed the code :) It’s another useful tool to tailor the sound…
XDMS Control App version 2.3.10 DAC settings has X0,1,2 and 3 selection working correctly, so no need to edit by hand anymore

Reactions: 2ndLiner

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I have tried alternative and I clearly prefer default. More 3d and layered.
Default by a big margin in my system. Also more presence and very natural.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I went back and checked the Default and Alternative. They both sound good. I still prefer Alternative. It's totally system dependent. I went back and forth on a system that is 100dB efficient horn speakers that are 10' from the back wall behind them, driven with a pair of 1 Watt 45 based mono amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
I went back and checked the Default and Alternative. They both sound good. I still prefer Alternative. It's totally system dependent. I went back and forth on a system that is 100dB efficient horn speakers that are 10' from the back wall behind them, driven with a pair of 1 Watt 45 based mono amps.
I wholeheartedly agree with the “system dependent” concept, Bob. And then there’s that most complicated system that resides between our ears! For the record, I prefer default as it delivers a livelier more natural sound…

Reactions: Bobvin

Steve Williams

for the record I remember Ed saying to change from default to alternative or back you should stop the server before you change settings. Then restart the server after setting change is made Is this what everyone is doing or is stopping the server not necessary

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing