Taiko Audio XDMS - Extreme Direct Music Server Software

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
I have NSM since yesterday and I am again amazed - just as after the 27 November software update, and I would say well beyond that - of how much Taiko is able to elevate the Extreme performance by optimizing the software platform.

Again, my system sounds as a very successful component upgrade was performed. And, again, it is that kind of improvement that is so all-encompassing and devoid of downsides that just leaves you with a big big smile on your face.

I will not venture on an analytical description of what I am hearing, let's just say that it feels like when you look the landscape around you from a mountain top in a very clear spring early morning.

That feeling of purity, serenity with a mix of thin-air induced euphoria ... And things, close or far away, look anew, more beautiful, palpable and alive through such rarified atmosphere.

And the beat goes on :)

1702662340167.png

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I have NSM since yesterday and I am again amazed - just as after the 27 November software update, and I would say well beyond that - of how much Taiko is able to elevate the Extreme performance by optimizing the software platform.

Again, my system sounds as a very successful component upgrade was performed. And, again, it is that kind of improvement that is so all-encompassing and devoid of downsides that just leaves you with a big big smile on your face.

I will not venture on an analytical description of what I am hearing, let's just say that it feels like when you look the landscape around you from a mountain top in a very clear spring early morning.

That feeling of purity, serenity with a mix of thin-air induced euphoria ... And things, close or far away, look anew, more beautiful, palpable and alive through such rarified atmosphere.

And the beat goes on :)

Purity!! The perfect one word Simone!!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Adding my initial NSM impressions:
First, a big thank you to Team @Taiko Audio for installing it!

The differences I hear vs XDMS are actually in the higher frequencies: there is more ‘air’ and energy in the upper mid and highs. There is also less harshness on the very high frequencies: a trumpet for example has a softer ’edge’; but it’s due to a lack of harshness, not a softness.
I don’t hear any difference in low frequencies, but I was very happy with that after adding the Network card and Switch and moving to XDMS.
Background noise is/was always low - and I hear everything through my ~105dB horns. The only thing I will say here is that when nothing is playing, there is slightly higher background noise after a track stops playIng vs before it starts (if that makes sense). It’s almost like the system is in ‘pause’ - not sure if this is the DAC or the Extreme. It’s not a big deal, but it’s definitely quieter before you start playing for the first time. Again, my horns have audible background noise (which is something that DarTZeel is addressing..); but the advantage of this elevated noise floor is that I can hear everything that a component adds.

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
I had some new music, Ormandy/Philly late 50s-60s stereo hi-res, anxious to hear it, and so I didn't start out very scientifically with NSM. But as I listened I thought, wow, Sony is improving, they did a killer job with the Tchaik 1812/Polovtsian album, but then I remembered, no-no-no, it's not Sony! I'm listening to NSM! LOL. Phenomenal soundstage and voicing!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
More listening last night: yes, there is something *special* about NSM for sure! In my case, it didn’t smack me over the head, but with more listening, it’s obvious that the music is more ‘organic’ and engaging.
It’s another wonderful update from Taiko. A HUGE Thank You for their continued innovation and incredible support to the community. More companies should take the lead and emulate Taiko. (Nagra and DarTZeel are also great in this regard!)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
More listening last night: yes, there is something *special* about NSM for sure! In my case, it didn’t smack me over the head, but with more listening, it’s obvious that the music is more ‘organic’ and engaging.
It’s another wonderful update from Taiko. A HUGE Thank You for their continued innovation and incredible support to the community. More companies should take the lead and emulate Taiko. (Nagra and DarTZeel are also great in this regard!)
you must be pretty thick headed as I am still recovering from the smack to my head.o_O

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
you must be pretty thick headed as I am still recovering from the smack to my head.o_O
I’ve been called that before :p
Low end is prodigious for sure. Whenever I think my system is lacking in low end, I play a track like the Star Wars theme from the movie soundtrack album:

Reactions: Taiko Audio

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
I've been able to listen to NSM for a day or so now (thanks Khyle!) and I definitely feel like its a leap forward. Wow. Everyone has already covered the sonic specifics, but everything about it is so 'right' - absolutely compelling.

What a trajectory this is! Next leaps - Olympus & XDMI...

Moladiego

May 30, 2022
Thanks, Ed, for the NSM installation! After 2 nights of listening, I have no doubt that it is indeed a very big uptick over XDMS Classic. The uptick is similar to what I got from the Switch + network card over the Extreme with its stock ethernet port. Without having used them the stock Extreme sounded excellent, and I did not find anything amiss until I heard music through them. Just like I could not listen to Extreme without the Switch + card, I cannot imagine going back to XDMS Classic. This is from a "mere" software upgrade, which is as significant as the use of a component or component upgrade. XDMS always sounds significantly superior to Roon to me (even with the most recent Roon upgrade; Roon sounds a bit edgy and "whitish," a kind of blanched feel to it in comparison). The uptick from NSM over XDMS Classic is similar to the uptick from XDMS Classic over Roon - more transparency, more air, more holographic imaging, and more live-music feel, across the entire sound spectrum (not just bass enhancement as some people have emphasized). In an uncanny way, the removal of veils has enabled me to hear more clearly the remaining veil to be removed - the remaining veil resulting from the noisy USB, server operation and AC. Olympus and Olympus I/O should be a game changer in removing that thick veil - they should bring about a revolution in SQ that surpasses all the prior improvements combined.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm ready to order but please please please, this is all going over my analog head LOL

While Chritiaan has to hold my partner Keith's hand through all of this, could you guys dumb it down for me ? :D

What is what, what do they do and what should I expect? I'm going to have to pass this information down in no short order :)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Will there be ever version of XDMS/NSM that could ne installed on a "regular/diy" PC rather than on Taiko Extreme Server?
Would be interesting to understand/compare how much is contributed by hardware and how much is by software.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm ready to order but please please please, this is all going over my analog head LOL

While Chritiaan has to hold my partner Keith's hand through all of this, could you guys dumb it down for me ? :D

What is what, what do they do and what should I expect? I'm going to have to pass this information down in no short order :)
Jack..you just need to fasten your seat belt and have your seat in an upright position and be ready to be dazzled

Reactions: Christiaan Punter

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Will there be ever version of XDMS/NSM that could ne installed on a "regular/diy" PC rather than on Taiko Extreme Server?
Would be interesting to understand/compare how much is contributed by hardware and how much is by software.
Not likely, I would guess. Given the development costs that are benefit to Taiko customers who invested in the Taiko “solution”, the cost to a non-customer would likely be very high, not to mention the inevitable support issues. Not too many mfg’s out there spending efforts to make a DIY guy‘s product better. Buy-in vs. roll your own.

Reactions: Armsan

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I believe they are pausing installs for a few days until they get more capacity.
Several problems -- getting from the test streaming aggregator to the production streaming aggregator to get the increased capacity for alpha testing, and also a problem with the streaming aggregator delivering corrupted high-res streams. Both of which are partially out of Taiko's NSM team hands.

Steve Z

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Thanks, that’s what I thought but then I saw a couple of posts by Extreme-ists suggesting they had just gotten the install and were enjoying the heck out of it. My audio antsiness got the best of me!

Reactions: ctydwn

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada

Welcome and get ready!
XDMS-NSM is the latest version of Taiko’s software, replacing Roon. One can switch between the two, but I doubt anyone will prefer Roon if sound quality is paramount.
The Switch/Network Card and Router will improve the sound, even if you playback from the internal hard drive. They are outboard devices and can be easily added later. (Network card is internal but it’s just like adding a board to any PC.)

Moladiego

May 30, 2022
Thanks, Ed, for the NSM installation! After 2 nights of listening, I have no doubt that it is indeed a very big uptick over XDMS Classic. The uptick is similar to what I got from the Switch + network card over the Extreme with its stock ethernet port. Without having used them the stock Extreme sounded excellent, and I did not find anything amiss until I heard music through them. Just like I could not listen to Extreme without the Switch + card, I cannot imagine going back to XDMS Classic. This is from a "mere" software upgrade, which is as significant as the use of a component or component upgrade. XDMS always sounds significantly superior to Roon to me (even with the most recent Roon upgrade; Roon sounds a bit edgy and "whitish," a kind of blanched fee to it in comparison). The uptick from NSM over XDMS Classic is similar to the uptick from XDMS Classic over Roon - more transparency, more air, more holographic imaging, and more live-music feel, across the entire sound spectrum (not just bass enhancement as some people have emphasized). In an uncanny way, the removal of veils has enabled me to hear more clearly the remaining veil to be removed - the remaining veil resulting from the noisy USB, server operation and AC. Olympus and Olympus I/O should be a game changer in removing that thick veil - they should bring about a revolution in SQ that surpasses all the prior improvements combined.
It occurred to me to change my speakers' mid-range driver jumper settings on the crossover boards. Lo, the sound noticeably improved so much that I now think that the NSM's improvement over XDMS Classic is more than the Switch+Card's improvement over stock Extreme, in the 1.5x range. The sound is more "live" than ever. Bravo, Taiko Team!

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
It occurred to me to change my speakers' mid-range driver jumper settings on the crossover boards. Lo, the sound noticeably improved so much that I now think that the NDM's improvement over XDMS Classic is more than the Switch+Card's improvement over stock Extreme, in the 1.5x range. The sound is more "live" than ever. Bravo, Taiko Team!

Could you elaborate on what this jumper setting changes? Thanks!

Reactions: oldmustang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing